What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big time hooked on AMC's, The Killing. Engaging story, well acted by a cast of virtual unknowns. Set in Seattle; gritty, rainy, atmospheric. Good stuff.

I'm enjoying it as well. Only two more episode's to go.

I've begun watching The Tudors, Season One.

Bones - Season One: Epidode 15

in tonight's installment...

Bones gets shot at, Booth and Bones play air guitar to Hot Blooded, Booth gets blown up by a refrigerator bomb, some poor chick gets eaten alive by dogs...and Adam Baldwin has been in every television show ever made since 1984.

Injustice - ITV Episode 4

wp560bfb5d_0a.jpg

I'm enjoying this a lot.

Case Histories BBC - Episode 2

Case%20Histories.jpg

Some good stuff on UK tv these days, I might even check out the books on the strength of the first two episodes.

Very good.

Haven't watched these yet - but the Kate Atkinson Jackson Brodie novels are terrific. I read all four between Xmas and Easter. A bit larger than life, packed with impossible coincidences, but all handled with great humour and a sense of not taking themselves too seriously.

I watched a new BBC4 documentary on Carlos Santana ('Angels and Demons'). Sensibly confined itself to the 60s/early 70s period (up to the McLaughlin project) with just the odd reference in the last 5 minutes to the MTV era and the 1999 comeback.

And I've just begun series 4 of Madmen.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I watched a new BBC4 documentary on Carlos Santana ('Angels and Demons'). Sensibly confined itself to the 60s/early 70s period (up to the McLaughlin project) with just the odd reference in the last 5 minutes to the MTV era and the 1999 comeback.

Yeah, I watched that too (with sign language at about 4am :D ). I don't think many in the rest of the band were too impressed when he went off with McLaughlin and became Devadip !

I've recorded this (non sign language version) and also the live 1976 concert plus the 'Guitar Heroes at the BBC Vol 5' so some good viewing there for when the rain clouds come in.

Edited by sidewinder

Hollywood A Go Go Vol. 1. A dvd I bought from a pretty scruffy outfit, I'm sure it's a boot, xeroxed paper cover, no copyright information anywhere. It has two complete show, one from 1965, and one from 1966. I watched the 65 show, and it was very cool (I'm becoming a sucker for these things), the line up was: Ray Peterson, The Impressions (with a heartbreakingly young Curtis Mayfield), The Sinners, Jody Miller, Glenn Yarbrough, The Challengers, and Jimmy Witherspoon. It's a strange time in rock, as the acts are very much "clean cut," and SoCal sunshine is being spread all around by freshly scrubbed highschoolers on the dance floor, with the Gazzarri GoGo Dancers providing the eye candy with great dancing and routines. In fact, it stuck me how the dancing seemed to be way ahead of the music, it had a kind of abandon to it that the rock acts could not compete with. Maybe the "rock revolution" was felt by the dancers first, before anyone caught on to what was happening.

51RBocKgMRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finally re-discovered the episode that started me watching this show in the first place, "the con man in the meth lab" (season 4, episode 8). This episode seems to be a small breakthrough in deepening the understanding of the central characters and their emotional relationships.

Any lingering hesitations I had about Boreanz (who I was not familiar with at the time) were pretty much wiped out during this one episode. He puts in a POWERHOUSE performance here, with no seeming effort at all. Emily matches him step for step. Not sure how they packed this much detail into 42 minutes but I'm sure the expert direction by Allison Liddi (who has quite a TV pedigree glancing at her IMDB listings) helped that along.

Over-thinking this? Maybe? Glad to re-experience my real introduction to this series? Definitely.

...but they compressed half a season into one hour. My head was spinning.

One of the (many) things that find me out of the current zeitgeist. So much contemporary TV keeps the pace going at an incredible speed, almost as if there's a fear that the audience will turn over if there's not an action packed climax or major personal confrontation every few minutes. Especially drives me nuts when they take a book you'd read over a couple of weeks and condense it into 90 minutes.

One of the reasons why 'The Killing' was so good - moved at a snail's pace. I come from a more leisurely time.

Into the last few episodes of Mad Men 4 at present. Not slow but gives time for the storylines to breathe. Proceeds at a trot.