What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking Bad, new season episode 1.

Very impressive, almost Tarantino like opener.

I'll be very interested to see where this goes. :tup

Me too. (Perhaps ending the episode in a Denny's was an actual nod to Tarantino, though I don't really care either way.)

Edited by BruceH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

51hE0isdCOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51BWk4%2BX8qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Started watching series 2 when it was serialised on TV. For some reason my recorder missed episode 7 and the DVD does not come out until late Sept so I've been hiring series 1.

Up to episode 8. A wonderful supplement to the books. The relationship between Wallander and his daughter is marvellously portrayed in these programmes. All the more poignant knowing that sometime later the actress who plays Linda committed suicide.

I enjoyed the other Swedish series (based on the books), didn't care for the couple of UK versions I saw. But this series is very special.

And like in the books, Ystad is a character in itself. Makes me want to visit again.

51hE0isdCOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51BWk4%2BX8qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Started watching series 2 when it was serialised on TV. For some reason my recorder missed episode 7 and the DVD does not come out until late Sept so I've been hiring series 1.

Up to episode 8. A wonderful supplement to the books. The relationship between Wallander and his daughter is marvellously portrayed in these programmes. All the more poignant knowing that sometime later the actress who plays Linda committed suicide.

I enjoyed the other Swedish series (based on the books), didn't care for the couple of UK versions I saw. But this series is very special.

And like in the books, Ystad is a character in itself. Makes me want to visit again.

I liked the Swedish series very much and found the British one unsatisfying and misjudged, Kenneth Branagh's emotional histrionics were all wrong.

Krister Henriksson nailed the character in the way that John Thaw did with Morse, Branagh seemed like an imposter. I agree also with the fine portrayal of the father daughter relationship, it was real and believable. Glad you are enjoying it.

I liked the Swedish series very much and found the British one unsatisfying and misjudged, Kenneth Branagh's emotional histrionics were all wrong.

Krister Henriksson nailed the character in the way that John Thaw did with Morse, Branagh seemed like an imposter. I agree also with the fine portrayal of the father daughter relationship, it was real and believable. Glad you are enjoying it.

I just though Branagh was flat.

The plots are pretty standard 'crime amongst the bourgeoisie' plots like Morse or Lewis. Where this series (like Morse) goes to another level is in the characterisations and the really wonderful sense of place.

Yes, Krister Henriksson is absolutely superb.

[Having said that the plots are fairly standard, I was on the edge of my seat in the episode where first Martinsson and then Wallander's daughter get kidnapped by the chap who infiltrates all their surveillance equipment].

Edited by A Lark Ascending

"The Hour"

hour_1953668c.jpg

Up to episode 4/6.

Set around the time of Suez/Hungary (1956) a tale of espionage in the early days of BBC TV as the idea of TV reportage is being created.

Some great performances. Has been lazily described as the 'British Madmen' but apart from the roughly similar period and the screen filled with cigarette smoke it's very different.