Who are you just "discovering"?

Templejazz

Derek Trucks. See my post in the "spiritual music" thread. I gave him a copy of Waiting for the Boogaloo Sisters last Tuesday. Hope he likes it.

He's a talented young man! A ton of potential. He seems to be interested in all kinds of music, including jazz, which is always cool in my book. Smart move giving him the bands CD. Ya' just never know!

As for newly discovered artists, for me it's Artie Shaw.

P.S. The Allman's are still the best jam band in the land!

Edited by Sundog

Bud Powell. I've had Time Waits for a few years now, and even that was bought because it has Sam Jones on it.

Saturday, while driving around, KNTU played something by Bud, but failed to say which tune it was. It sounded like a quintet number with Sonny & Fats. It's still ringing in my ears, and I intend to get both CDs of The Amazing Bud Powell, and hopefully Bud! as well!

I am getting into more Psychedelic Rock and Blues rock these days. Early Clapton, Cream, Joplin...evolved from Hendrix. Nice call on "The Band" - those guys rock in the vein of early Allman Brothers.

In terms of Jazz, I am still on ever-expanding exploration of soul-jazz and the newest artist is Bobby Timmons.

In regards to Joe Farrell, I would recommend either "Quartet" or "Outback". It's very difficult to classify his style, but it's free though I wouldn't call it Avant-Garde by any means.

Edited by undergroundagent

impossible -

thanks for the recommendations! I'll be checking out both bands soon.

personally, I've been "discovering" a lot of new music recently. Cecil Taylor, for one. mostly his solo work. Up next is Art Pepper, who I have never heard before. I downloaded Straight Life, Meets the Rhythm Section, the Complete Village Vanguard and the Hollywood Allstar sets off of emusic, so i have a wealth of new material to explore.

For non-jazz I've recently "discovered" King Sunny Ade and a band called SIANspheric, who are a nice mix of fuzzed-out noise mixed with My Bloody Valentine-ish drone mixed with some nice melodic sensibilities.

• 4 months later...

Just discovering Jason Moran. I'm finally getting this guy, and it's great music. I've been taking my time recently and slowly going through his cds one-by-one, and it's been a great adventure. He's one of those artists that really grows in stature with each listen. It will be something to see with Moran goes with his music.

This is a little emrarassing but I've come to really appreciate the last Coldplay record. Yes, they sound a great deal like Radiohead and latter-day U2 but, as it happens, I can't stand Radiohead. People refer to Coldplay as 'Radiohead lite' but I don't think that's fair. What I like most about them (Coldplay) is the fact that they aren't afraid to write love songs. Something of a lost art amongst *modern art-rock* bands. Radiohead is just too cold and distant for me. As though they think their music belongs in the damned MoMA or something. Gimme a freakin' break.... It's nothing that Gastr del Sol didn't do ten years ago only it's coupled with overly dramatic emo vocals. Yeesh... No thanks.

Edited by Brandon Burke

Vijay Iyer. I recently picked up his discs Panoptic Modes and Blood Sutra and have really been enjoying them. He is a great pianist who, imo, a lot of people would really enjoy.

Also Rudresh Mahanthappa. His album Black Water is outstanding. He plays Alto and appears on Vijay's newest disc as well. Great stuff!

Edited by John B

I picked up Some Other Stuff from a fellow board member, and I must say I'm hooked. Guess I should have saved some money and just went for the Mosaic Select, eh? :g

I just wasn't sure about giving him a shot, as I remember a thread from the old BNBB with people who seemed to know a lot more about jazz than I did (and I'm sure that was a correct assumption!) arguing over him, with some saying he was great, and some saying they didn't get him at all. Turns out I'm in the former camp, so add him to my list!

Well, it's not jazz, but I've really been digging The Band lately. I've got "Music From The Big Pink", "Stage Fright" and "Cahoots", and love the harmonies and songwriting on all three of them. I'm sure I'll be getting more soon.

I am a big, big fan of the Band. Their first 2 albums are absolute classics, of any style of music. Fascinating musicanship and harmonies, and those songs are just some of the best rock songs that I have ever heard.

I am discovering 70's Jarrett, specifically the European and the American quartets

I'm getting into hip-hop and rap.

Ludacris - Stand UP

and

OutKast - Way You Move

Seem pretty good.

Starting to listen to hip-hop/rap radio stations.  They seem to use alot of old tunes in their music.  Fun stuff. :lol:

Those are pretty good tracks. I feel that "Hip-Hop" is a lot less actually rapping nowadays, makes for an interesting new shift. Everything that I am hearing nowadays has a hook filled pop-side (crossover anyone?) that wasn't there until a few years ago. I still like a lot of the stuff I was getting into in the early 90's, but the new stuff leaves me kind of cold. I don't like that gangsta trend as much, but a lot of those guys have soften their world views. In that respect Eminem was kind of a nice suprise when he first appeared , but he's softening his as well.

As far as recent stuff Stankonia by Outkast and Phrenology by the Roots are some of my favorite cd's of the past few years. They both bring an element of FUNK and muscianship to their music. They owe much more debt to JB and P-Funk than they do to NWA or Public Enemy. Now that stuff is RAP! However I digress.

I am recently getting a bit into Braxton, but I find it difficut to really figure out what cd's I should be listening to!

Edited by Jazzdog