Billy Taylor Trio with Jon Faddis

HWright

I saw the Billy Taylor Trio with Jon Faddis concert at the Kennedy Center last night. It was recorded for broadcast on the radio and was also Taylor's last concert, he said. I went mainly to hear Faddis who doesn't come to Washington DC very often to the best of my knowledge. The Trio began the 7:30 set with a few of Taylor's compositions and then Faddis came out for a tribute to Dizzy. The Quartet then played various bebop classics as well as excellent versions of "Manteca" (with great rhythms by drummer Winard Harper)and "Con Alma" (with Faddis on mute). Some people in the audience felt Faddis had a tendency to overblow when on open horn but it seemed to me this was only true on some passages and I enjoyed his performance in general over all. Faddis also talked with Taylor about Diz and recounted to the audience his (Faddis's) first meetings with Diz in his (Faddis's) home state of California when he (Faddis) was 12 and 15 years old.

After the show I read the AMG entry on Faddis and was interested to note that Faddis made an early record with Billy Harper and that he played with Greg Osby at one point (in the '90's?). Anyone know anything about that?

Edited by HWright