Mosaic Select Wish List

It turns out they reserve the "smaller" projects for the Mosaic Select series. I guess the Herbie Nichols Blue Note or Stan Getz Roost boxes would appear as MS these days.

Maybe we should post our ideas for more MS sets:

The Clare Fischer Pacific Jazz Sessions - a mixed bag with trios, orchestra, latin jazz, but all worth hearing

The Jeremy Steig Solid State/Blue Note/Capitol sessions

Anything else?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The complete Kahil El'Zabar/Ritual Trio Sound Aspects recordings.

Include all 5 albums (Sacred Love, Another Kind of Groove, The Ritual, Alika Rising and Golden Sea)

I can't find these records anywhere! Why did I ever sell them?!? :(

Edited by Jim Dye

Looking at the West Coast Pacific Jazz and other labels "mix" box they have upcoming with Cooper/Shank/Brookmeyer, how about a box of miscellaneous Imperial recordings, to include things like Charlie Mariano's release w/Jaki Byard on piano (which is quite excellent), Wingy stuff, and others? I know this bunch would probably be very disparate in approach, so if there's enough maybe do 2 sets, dividing them into "traditional" jazz and "modern" jazz Imperial sessions?

A Harry Edison box, pulling together his stuff from Pacific Jazz and Roulette, maybe even a Liberty date that is listed on All Music Guide from 1965

I will definitely second the Pullen/Adams BN sessions as a Select

And in fact, an 80's BN/other label miscellaneous box or boxes would be nice - might be a way to get out some of the best/most obscure stuff, like James Newton's 2, Jack Walrath's 2, Bobby Watson's Roulettes or BNs

A Hutcherson/Land Select with at least some stuff that hasn't been issued on CD yet would be good, assuming they are not going to eventually do a "full" Mosaic. Great if there was any vault material.

Lon et al have me intrigued about the Tyree Glenn Roulettes

A miscellaneous late 60's BN box would also be interesting (can't quite get my head around exactly how to name it). This might include a smattering of dates that have long been obscure and sought by diehards and collectors. Represented would be Kenny Cox's (INTRODUCING and MULTIDIRECTION) , Eddie Gale (GHETTO MUSIC and BLACK RHYTHM HAPPENING), and Tyrone Washington (NATURAL ESSENCE and hey, maybe even throw in the TRAIN WRECK SESSION!).

That Pullen/Adams set needs to happen.

I would also love to see a complete Tal Farlow with Eddie Costa set, including the Verve stuff and the two Xanadu LPs. Or maybe just an Eddie Costa set with House of Blue Lights, the album on Jubilee, and the Verve album.

Complete Anthony Braxton Quartets and Trio on Arista

to include:

New York, Fall 1974

Five Pieces, 1975

Montreaux/Berlin (quartet sessions)

For Trio

This would be more manageable than a Complete set. Though it would be great to see the CMO '76 and Alto Sax Improvisations '79 available as well.

However, all of these can be had on lp for under $50 if you look hard enough

Complete Anthony Braxton Quartets and Trio on Arista

to include:

New York, Fall 1974

Five Pieces, 1975

Montreaux/Berlin (quartet sessions)

For Trio

This would be more manageable than a Complete set.

Didn't cuscuna even produce em? I have the LPs, but i would buy this set in a second.

I would also love to see a complete Tal Farlow with Eddie Costa set, including the Verve stuff and the two Xanadu LPs. Or maybe just an Eddie Costa set with House of Blue Lights, the album on Jubilee, and the Verve album.

Another vote for that.

Also, how about a Pepper Adams Select, bringing together good stuff he did for various labels?

Bruce: back in the old board's days, I mailed Mosaic about Dizzy Reece and Clifford Jordan and got the following reply:

"Dizzy Reece and Clifford Jordan are on the list!

Thanks,

MC"

hope he's true about this! Would love to see them on Mosaic, too!

And would love a Farlow/Costa set. How many records are there? I only know "This Is" and "Swingin' Guitar of" and they're of course both marvellous!

ubu

And would love a Farlow/Costa set. How many records are there? I only know "This Is" and "Swingin' Guitar of" and they're of course both marvellous!

There is the album on Verve simply titled "Tal" available currently only as a reissue from Japan.

The two Xanadu albums were recorded in 1956 in a guy's apartment with the same line-up as "Swingin Guitar of..." They are available by downloading them in mp3 at emusic.com and through the dubious Definitive Records release "Complete 1956 Private Recordings."

"This is..." was a Verve Elite Edition title, and long OOP.

I think this set would be excellent, finally having them all together in a legit domestic form. It might take up more than three discs, however.

Love that Eddie Costa! :tup

Looking at the West Coast Pacific Jazz and other labels "mix" box they have upcoming with Cooper/Shank/Brookmeyer, how about a box of miscellaneous Imperial recordings, to include things like Charlie Mariano's release w/Jaki Byard on piano (which is quite excellent), Wingy stuff, and others? I know this bunch would probably be very disparate in approach, so if there's enough maybe do 2 sets, dividing them into "traditional" jazz and "modern" jazz Imperial sessions?

Some weeks ago, I sent in suggestions for Selects of Bill Perkins and Bob Brookmeyer. "MC" wrote back saying that they are considering a Brookmeyer set, and that he will add Perkins to their list. I also suggested a Mariano set, but did not get a response on that. I have a couple of Mariano recordings from Bethlehem, and really like them. And Mariano sounds great on the Chaloff set. I would also like a set (Select or regular set) of Artie Shaw's Gramercy 5 band.

Some excellent suggestions. I'm pulling for Dexter's Nights at the Keystone myself. I like the Jaki Byard/Imperial suggestion. There's so much material out there that fit so nicely into the Mosaic Select concept that it's making my head spin :wacko::wacko:

I'm happy to see the PJ stuff coming out. I'm sure that we'll see lots of Roulette, Roost, UA as well. How 'bout that Roulette Birdland Series being released as a series of 3 CD volumes?

I'd like to see them use Select to do some late 60s BNs as well. The Eddie Gales are being released later this month on some other label. But I'm guessing there's be other material from that time period as well.

Someone mentioned a Hutcherson/Land and a Horace Silver - Silver 'n...... - Nice ideas as well. I'd love to see a Pullen or an Adams or both as well.

One Mosaic box that I have been dreaming about for a long time is "The Complete Orchestra U.S.A. Recordings". Such a box would require cooperation from several different labels, but should be quite feasible. John Lewis's efforts deserve to be preserved and honored.

And is there anything in the vaults from George Russell's Decca era? FIVE SPOT came out as a Verve Elite; KANSAS CITY remains unissued on CD; and I'm pretty sure that David Baker told me there's more that was recorded but never released. If it still exists, there might be enough there for a 3-CD set.

About 3 years ago, Ben Young (then employed by Universal) called to ask about the possibility of Coltrane tapes from the Down Beat fest of 1965 (quartet + Archie). I had attended the performance, and assured him no tapes exist. The Russell "5 Spot" disc had just been reissued and I asked him about the "KC" date. He said they decided to issue the "5 Spot" disc because of name recognition. He also said there was a bunch of unissued material (no mention of extra tunes or alternates) from the "KC" dates. Lest anyone is fooled, all the aforementioned material is from studio sessions in NYC.

Love that Eddie Costa! :tup

:)

another Costa fan here. How about a "Complete Eddie Costa Recordings" Mosaic? I know it might be impossible, but what would have to be in there? The Mode, the recent VEE, how much more is there?

ubu

Edited by king ubu

One Mosaic box that I have been dreaming about for a long time is "The Complete Orchestra U.S.A. Recordings". Such a box would require cooperation from several different labels, but should be quite feasible. John Lewis's efforts deserve to be preserved and honored.

Yes! Give us more John Lewis! And this could include Mike Zwerin's "Sextet of Orchestra USA plays the theatre songs of Kurt Weill", too (this was recently discussed in the Dolphy sideman thread)

and, indeed the world's ready for more Jimmy Giuffre! Seems he's unable to play now for several years already. Would be a nice tribute while he's still around!

ubu

I always thought the later Andrew Hill thing would be lovely.

Just the idea that it would all be fresh and untouched would be great...Perhaps more a mosaic then I dunno.

I also would have loved the Reuben WIlson sets to come out which could be done on a select issue.

Also one perhaps to ponder over... a lost sessions special from Blue Note vaults like the mid to late sixites stuff......I loved theat one cd they put out and this would be a find as there are so many little odds and sods that a box set could cover without the financial risk of the bigger mosaic...just think all those glorious littel sets you read about in the discography...

Dream dream etc for the rest of the day :wub: