Mosaic Select Wish List

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for a Pacific Jazz Sweets Edison select-- maybe paired with his Roulette LPs.

I had another idea for a "mixed" select while reading in downbeat about the Chico Hamilton "Jazz themes from the Sweet Smell of Success" LP. How about a Select of jazz soundtracks? Plenty of great West Coast playing on soundtracks.

How about "The Subterraneans" with Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper, Andre Previn & Art Farmer, or "Gone with the wave" on Colpix with Lalo Schiffrin, Shelly Manne & Laurindo Almeida?

And would love a Farlow/Costa set. How many records are there? I only know "This Is" and "Swingin' Guitar of" and they're of course both marvellous!

There is the album on Verve simply titled "Tal" available currently only as a reissue from Japan.

That Tal CD is the sort of thing I think I would like to track down.

Have you seen it listed anywhere?

Thanks.

Hey Chuck, that forty minutes or so on tape of Shepp with the Quartet puporting to be from that Chicago festival show. . . are they?

I haven't heard it yet, so I don't know. My understand is it's an "audience tape". Ben was looking for a semi-pro tape from the board. Don DeMichael, then editor of DB, always regretted they didn't roll tape.

My most vivid memory of that set was George Wein trying to get the band to stop - they played beyond the alloted time.

The photo of Shepp on the cover of the Delmark New York Contemporary Five lp was taken by Bill Abernathy at that performance.

This would be a nice blues / R&B set in my opinion:

The Complete Percy Mayfield Tangerine Sessions

J.A.W. -- Iread in the latest ICE Newsletter that Rhino is bringing out the Mayfield material in their Handmade series. 2500... make that 2498 ;)... copies.

J.A.W. -- Iread in the latest ICE Newsletter that Rhino is bringing out the Mayfield material in their Handmade series. 2500... make that 2498 ;)... copies.

WOW! That is great news! Didn't get that newsletter or the July 2003 issue of ICE yet - did they say when Rhino Handmade will release it?

Edited by J.A.W.

My vote would be for a set of the complete Woody Shaw "Stepping Stones" recordings from the VV. As far as I know, "Stepping Stones" has never been released on cd and it has been rumored that there is much unreleased material from that engagement.

Also, a set of Woody's Elecktra recordings would make a great Select.

I've yet to purchase a Select, but I have my eyes on that Carmell Jones which everyone says is so great. :angry:

Edited by sonnyhill

The Complete Milt Jackson - Lucky Thompson Savoy Sessions

These would clock in at about 145 minutes, including the seven tracks from Milt Jackson's Atlantic LPs. Two Cds would be sufficient.

That would be a great Mosaic Select!

THE COMPLETE ROULETTE RECORDINGS OF JOHN HANDY

THE COMPLETE ROULETTE / ROOST RECORDSING OF EDDIE "LOCKJAW" DAVIS

THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS OF PAUL KNOPF

I'd go for these (I've never heard Paul Knopf, but I'd take Joe's recommendation). The George Russell Decca sides would be great, too.

How about a Herb Geller Imperial & Emarcy Select?

Thanks for the news, King. I'd heard similar things about Reece and Jordan when the Selects were brand new, but lately haven't heard anything.

A Complete Eddie Costa Mosaic (old style) would, I agree, be very nice indeed.

And I like Roger's idea of a Select of jazz soundtracks. Many of these are hard or impossible to get now, or expensive imports.

Anyone else know of any great unreissued soundtracks?

Some that come to mind:

- the Leith Stevens music to the Marlon Brando 1953 film 'The Wild One' (with

Shorty Rogers, Bud Shank, Bill Perkins, Shelly Manne and a full crew of West

Coast players), this was a Decca 10incher, later a Fresh Sounsd LP,

- the soundtrack to the British film 'All Night Long' (this was an Epic LP) that featured

Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck, Tubby Hayes among others,

- the Mal Waldron soundtrack to the film 'Sweet Love, Bitter' an Impulse LP with

Dave Burns, Charles McPherson, etc.

- did the Elmer Bernstein score for 'The Man with the Golden Arm' film by Otto

Preminger make it on CD? The LP had the music with Shorty Rogers and Shelly Manne.

I saw "The man with the golden arm" recently. Quite a good movie, and Sinatra was very convincing, in my eyes. And a very nice soundtrack, but I have no idea whether this was reissued.

Then how about "Shadows" there's some very nice Shafi Hadi solos there! And probably more was recorded than what we hear in the movie? Was this on CD (or on LP)?

And concerning the Thompson/Jackson Savoy recordings, we might have to wait for the revamped Savoy to do something. If they make a nice care package (in line with the Bird 8CD) and no strange keepnews-ian ideas/omissions, I would not be opposed at all!

And Woody Shaw's "Stepping Stones" session might not be issued except *if* Sony/Legacy will do it, I guess. Would love to hear all of that, of course, the LP is very good, indeed!

ubu

WOW! That is great news! Didn't get that newsletter or the July 2003 issue of ICE yet - did they say when Rhino Handmade will release it?

No, I've seen no release date yet. I check the Handmade website periodically, and I've also singed up for their newsletter. No word yet. Hopefully August.

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/

I think a Blakey "loose ends" set would be inevitable eventually. His Colpix, Limelight, and Roulette recordings all under one roof. None of it is his very best work by any means, but it needs to be done, I think.

This would be a very nice one! Never heard any of these records!

And how about a complete set of the Hardman/McLean/Griffin Messengers. They recorded for Bethlehem, RCA, Savoy and some other labels. I think they generally were a little bit better than usually thought. Griffin does some bad solos on the Bethlehem album, for instance.

ubu

My vote would be for a set of the complete Woody Shaw "Stepping Stones" recordings from the VV.  As far as I know, "Stepping Stones" has never been released on cd and it has been rumored that there is much unreleased material from that engagement.

Also, a set of Woody's Elecktra recordings would make a great Select.

I've yet to purchase a Select, but I have my eyes on that Carmell Jones which everyone says is so great. :angry:

I'd buy that!

Edited by ralphie_boy

I think a Blakey "loose ends" set would be inevitable eventually. His Colpix, Limelight, and Roulette recordings all under one roof. None of it is his very best work by any means, but it needs to be done, I think.

This would be a very nice one! Never heard any of these records!

And how about a complete set of the Hardman/McLean/Griffin Messengers. They recorded for Bethlehem, RCA, Savoy and some other labels. I think they generally were a little bit better than usually thought. Griffin does some bad solos on the Bethlehem album, for instance.

ubu

Both of these are good ideas. They get my vote.