Mosaic Select Wish List

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Including the four EPs that he did for RCA in Sweden. And the odd sides that show up on some U.S. EPs.

I think Fresh Sound issued a lot of that material, and a Swedish label (Gazelle?) put out the material from Sweden. There's a rather rare South African RCA album as well.

His Brunswick/Coral material is actually more of a mess. A comprehensive and complete issue of that material would be welcome.

Tony Scott, the RCA sessions!

Including the four EPs that he did for RCA in Sweden. And the odd sides that show up on some U.S. EPs.

I think Fresh Sound issued a lot of that material, and a Swedish label (Gazelle?) put out the material from Sweden. There's a rather rare South African RCA album as well.

His Brunswick/Coral material is actually more of a mess. A comprehensive and complete issue of that material would be welcome.

Tony Scott, the RCA sessions!

I think Fresh Sounds have done quite a few Scott re-issues now, of course there is quite a lot of overlap and the sound quality is variable on some of them to say the least but I'm not sure anyone would be able to do anything about that.

A Day in New York

51kMtzulxkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tony Scott and & The Three Dicks: Complete Milt Hinton & Osie Johnson Quartet

51sJlm4m2jL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Fingerpoppin: Complete Recordings 1954-1955

51HlID0kfnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Complete Recordings

51Hdoirv5PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The later one has some live recordings, don't know if they were out officially before.

Maybe the Konitz material is burned away with the Universal vault disaster of some years ago.

I've seen no reference to that. Maybe not.

Right, from what I've read it was masters from the MCA side of things (Decca, Argo etc.) that perished, not former Polygram holdings like Verve.

I was surprised when I once saw how much unissued Konitz Verve material there really is. Agree that it would be nice to see that released, although I don't count on it ever happening.

Maybe the Konitz material is burned away with the Universal vault disaster of some years ago.

I've seen no reference to that. Maybe not.

Right, from what I've read it was masters from the MCA side of things (Decca, Argo etc.) that perished, not former Polygram holdings like Verve.

I was surprised when I once saw how much unissued Konitz Verve material there really is. Agree that it would be nice to see that released, although I don't count on it ever happening.

If the Argos were destroyed that's probably where the Sandy Mosse & Cy Touff sides went. :angry:

• 4 months later...

How about a Marion Brown Impulse!/Arista Select containing:

Porto Novo (1967/70)

Duets (1970/73)

Geechee Recollections (1973)

Sweet Earth Flying (1974)

Vista (1975)

Great idea! What with Braxton, Threadgill and the hopefully upcoming Rivers!

Why don't you drop them a mail about this?

It would be a good set, but it somehow feels incomplete. Perusing Brown's discography, I saw a wealth of unissued sessions dating from 1964 on. In addition there are the many albums of his released only in Europe and Japan. It seems like what is really needed is a Holy Ghost-like project that would pull all of these disparate parts together into a carefully annotated package. The man certainly deserves it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if many are into the great lead altoist Marshal Royal, but he recorded on Concord in the late 70s and up to his death. There are some teriffic small group recordings and there would be enough material for a 3cd set. Perhaps I have already put this up or mentioned it in another thread...but here it is.

Albums:

Snooky and Marshal's Album

Marshal Royal: First Chair

Marshal Royal: Royal Blue

There were also numerous other Concord records that he appeared as a sideman.

Anybody think this is viable?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A Select gathering sessions organized by Leonard Feather (and others) for MGM in the fifties would be quite interesting.

One that would include albums like:

- 'Hot vs. Cool'

- 'Dixieland vs. Birdland'

- 'Cats vs. Chicks'

- 'Hi Fi Suite'

- 'West Coast vs. East Coast'

- 'Oh Captain'

None of those dates has been properly reissued!

A Select gathering sessions organized by Leonard Feather (and others) for MGM in the fifties would be quite interesting.

One that would include albums like:

- 'Hot vs. Cool'

- 'Dixieland vs. Birdland'

- 'Cats vs. Chicks'

- 'Hi Fi Suite'

- 'West Coast vs. East Coast'

- 'Oh Captain'

None of those dates has been properly reissued!

A number of these have been out on Membran. While I agree that is hardly a proper reissue, it might be enough to scare Mosaic away.