Earl Anderza - What ever happend to him?

TheMusicalMarine

I think there was a thread on this on the old BNBB. I recall that he ended up in jail (can't remember the offence) back in the 1960s. Not sure what happened to him after that. Quite active on the LA scene in the early 60s, I believe. Didn't he also put in an appearance on stage with Miles?

• 2 years later...

Earl Anderza died in Chicago around 1982 just before reaching 50. He was born in Los Angeles on October 24, 1933.

The information comes from an email adressed by Anderza's niece Janae to French journalist Pierre Briançon.

Briançon, an excellent journalist who was correspondent in Moscow and New York for the respected daily Libération has published "San Quentin Jazz Band' which was released last week by les Editions Grasset. A must read book (in French only so far) for anyone interested in the saga of a number of jazz musicians who went through San Quentin for various reasons.

The book centers on the period from January to November 1962 when the prison had an orchestra that had players like Art Pepper, Dupree Bolton, Anderza, Frank Morgan, Jimmy Bunn and others.

More details are on Briançon's blog:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...endID=257488610

• 2 years later...