Whe else digs Ternt Trent D'Arby?

Dmitry

Guest Mnytime

I really liked his first release. Haven't cared for anything since.

Though I don't know about being Prince's equal. Maybe the Prince of the last 15 years, which is not exactly a compliment. ;)

I would heartily agree with Lon. D'Arby has raw talent that I feel has somehow not been quite delivered upon.

If you ever get a chance, check out his 2nd album, NEITHER FISH NOR FLESH, which is quite superior to the first album in my opinion. "Wishing Well" was catchy and all, but the 2nd one is much more inventive as a whole, with a whole slew of influences and a much harder edged feeling. It also certainly has some more very funky, catchy, fun-spirited music, like the classic Atlantic soul-era influenced "I'll Be Alright," the Prince-ish "This Side of Love," and the wickedly-funky "Attracted To You." Not everything quite works out, but it's a good spin.

Too bad after that he seems to have kind of petered out.

When he came out I thought he WAS THE new king of r and b. He had it all...the voice ....the dance moves....the charisma...the look. But I'm not quite sure what happened. To me, he has more talent than all these other guys rolled up together.

Saw him on Leno the other night and he seemed back on track. Singing his ass of and doing splits like a rubberband man. Plus his ego seemed to be in check. Which is why he probably didn't make it in the first place.

That 1st album is a classic. Plus, I saw him on Letterman 15 years ago when that came out, he did Sam Cooke's "Wonderful World" and it was about the most amazing thing I had seen up until that time in my life.