Baseball 2005

Oh, and if the Cards lose tomorrow, they just mentioned on espn that we saw the last game at Busch stadium. I know, just another cookie cutter park, but it was where I first saw a game...where Lou Brock broke Ty Cobb's record(Wait, did he do that on the road?) where Lou played at least. Where Bob Gibson had an 1.12 E.R.A. one year. Where a young Garry Templeton jacked up on coke, and with good knees, was the most exciting player in the game for 2 years*

Vince Coleman stole 110 bases as a rookie, but that was on the turf. Bruce Sutter

had his best years there. Ted Simmons played 161 games one season there(Not all as a catcher, but still) Anyway, Houston can win the series(And if they don't with Pettitte, Oswalt, and Clemens going the next 3 games :eye: ) but I really hope there is one more game, so St. Louis can say a proper goodbye to Busch...wish I had seen another game there....

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you toss managers when they get in your face, and don't get out of it?

Well, technically, for arguing balls and strikes he doesn't need to be in your face... I can't count the times Larry Bowa was tossed while in the dugout, and then came out to get his money's worth... but sheesh, a game of that importance, let the freakin' players decide the thing, that's what people pay their money for, not the stinking umpire's bruised ego on display. Edmonds getting chucked was just because the ump was already pissed at La Russa.

Still.....I think the Astros deserved to win with those great defensive plays in the 9th to make Lidge look better than he was this time!

first off...

LET'SGOWHITE SOX!!!!!!!

That said, I haven't seen much of the Cardinals/Astros series, but from what I have seen, both of those teams are champs.

I think if we end up facing the Astros, it's gonna be a whole lot of 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 kinda games.

That will make for some excellent baseball.

And, by the way, what is it with East coast assholes? The guy from the Miami Herald who said that no one in America should root for the white sox because we play second fiddle to the cubs in Chicago should be bitch slapped. The guy obviously doesn't get the dynamic here. People root for the Cubs because it's trendy and cubs games are parties, not baseball games. I've talked to people that went to Cubs games and didn't even know the freakin' score! The south side is all about baseball though. Those fans are the most die-hard that I've ever seen. The White Sox deserve this one. They've earned it all season. Even if they don't win it all, it'll still be a beautiful season for the Sox, and for all of Chicago. Even the north siders will have to learn to be happy with the fact that CHICAGO finally took home a trophy. If we're lucky enough to bring home a world series trophy, and not just an AL trophy, that'll be even sweeter.

Don't worry, there's room enough on the bandwagon for everyone. Feel free to jump on.

People root for the Cubs because it's trendy and cubs games are parties, not baseball games.

As a lifelong Cub fan, I'll take exception to that. So would the many fans who still follow them despite not having any payoff (yet).

I saw Jermaine Dye on Sportscenter and Dan Patrick asked him why the Cubs still outdrew the Sox this year. And Dye goes into this inadvertent advertisement for Wrigley's fans, atmosphere, history, location, etc. It was kind of amusing.

I grew up in the city rooting for both teams - why not? I don't think the current White Sox team is very likeable, but good for them, I say. Some goofy calls aside, they obviously belong in the World Series this year.

Don't worry, there's room enough on the bandwagon for everyone.  Feel free to jump on.

The only way I'll jump is if it means that the Baseball Gods (you know, the ones that cursed the White Sox for throwing the Series) are indeed working their way backwards and will spread their pixie dust on the

CUBS

next year. Then I'm all in favor of a White Sox championship.

But til then, its GO CARDINALS or GO ASTROS.

People root for the Cubs because it's trendy and cubs games are parties, not baseball games.

As a lifelong Cub fan, I'll take exception to that. So would the many fans who still follow them despite not having any payoff (yet).

I also take exception to it, being from a family of Cubs fans. Hell, my MOTHER would keep the scorecard when we used to go to Shea Stadium for Cub-Mets doubleheaders after we moved to Long Island.

There were plenty of bandwagon joiners for the Red Sox last year - dumb ass chicks who thought Damon was so cute or whatever. Doesn't make the core fans any less passionate or any less knowledgeable or any less committed.

Oh, and if the Cards lose tomorrow, they just mentioned on espn that we saw the last game at Busch stadium. I know, just another cookie cutter park, but it was where I first saw a game...

Me too. And for a cookie cutter it was the most attractive with the trim around the top (sorry, the architectural term escapes me) that hinted at the neighboring arch. Or something.

For all the talk of "this could be Roger's last game" saying bye bye to Busch is tougher for me, even if many of the fans in the area I know say "'bout time." All of those rabbit teams on turf - who thought baseball played on plastic could be so much fun to watch! :)

Don't worry, there's room enough on the bandwagon for everyone.  Feel free to jump on.

The only way I'll jump is if it means that the Baseball Gods (you know, the ones that cursed the White Sox for throwing the Series) are indeed working their way backwards and will spread their pixie dust on the

CUBS

next year. Then I'm all in favor of a White Sox championship.

But til then, its GO CARDINALS or GO ASTROS.

:rolleyes:

first off...

LET'SGOWHITE SOX!!!!!!!

That said, I haven't seen much of the Cardinals/Astros series, but from what I have seen, both of those teams are champs.

I think if we end up facing the Astros, it's gonna be a whole lot of 2-1, 1-0, 3-2 kinda games.

That will make for some excellent baseball.

And, by the way, what is it with East coast assholes?  The guy from the Miami Herald who said that no one in America should root for the white sox because we play second fiddle to the cubs in Chicago should be bitch slapped.  The guy obviously doesn't get the dynamic here.  People root for the Cubs because it's trendy and cubs games are parties, not baseball games.  I've talked to people that went to Cubs games and didn't even know the freakin' score!  The south side is all about baseball though.  Those fans are the most die-hard that I've ever seen.  The White Sox deserve this one.  They've earned it all season.  Even if they don't win it all, it'll still be a beautiful season for the Sox, and for all of Chicago.  Even the north siders will have to learn to be happy with the fact that CHICAGO finally took home a trophy.  If we're lucky enough to bring home a world series trophy, and not just an AL trophy, that'll be even sweeter.

Got to give it up to you for predicting the Whitesox would go to the series. The problem these days seems to be everyone makes predictions based on the last game that was played, not looking at an overall picture. The Whitesoxs really didn't cool down that much, the Indians got ridiculously hot and stayed hotter longer than anyone thought but you knew they were going to cool down eventually. Pitching wins in the postseason and the Whitesoxs had the best pitching. Even with that though, the best two teams still going are the Astros and the Cardinals. It's been a great series and again the team with the best pitching will prevail. How are the Cardinals going to come back looking at Pettite, Oswalt and Clemons three games in a row. The best game I've seen this playoffs was the game Oswalt pitched against the Cards, he had electric stuff.

Did anyone else notice what a great commentator Lou Pinella was, he made the game a lot more interesting to watch.

Edited by david weiss

Paul, I was so pissed last night about the crap umps, I forgot to say congrats! :tup

I can imagine a big weight has been lifted just making it to the series after all these years. To see the Astros and the Sox in the series knowing one team will finally win a series in their fan's lifetimes, is pretty cool!

I too thought that they were going to have more trouble advancing than they did. How can you expect 4 complete games, in a row? :eye: I have seen managers push the issue trying to rest the bullpen, and it usually backfires. Now, when they do need their bullpen, they are going to be quite rested. like Phil Garner, Ozzie keeps making all the right moves.

Of course, last year the 'stros only needed to win one of the two games in STL to go to the series, and that didn't happen...

Oh, and as a Cub fan since 1984(Oh, if they could have played the Tigers that year :( ) I must join the chorus of people saying, we ain't all stinkin' rich, fair weather fans! (Well, I am a fair weather fan at times cuz of things the organization has done thru the years) I rooted for them like the braves thru thick and thin, and will dance quite a jig when they win the series.

OK, ok, I been dissing on the White Sox up until now but I guess I gots to shut my hole and cheer for em now. 80-something years is a long time - And that four complete games in a row thing was pretty impressive (Even if the Angels were the weakest team to make the playoffs imo). Besides, who really cares about the Astros other than Hustonites anyway?

Oh, and if the Cards lose tomorrow, they just mentioned on espn that we saw the last game at Busch stadium. I know, just another cookie cutter park, but it was where I first saw a game...

Me too. And for a cookie cutter it was the most attractive with the trim around the top (sorry, the architectural term escapes me) that hinted at the neighboring arch. Or something.

For all the talk of "this could be Roger's last game" saying bye bye to Busch is tougher for me, even if many of the fans in the area I know say "'bout time." All of those rabbit teams on turf - who thought baseball played on plastic could be so much fun to watch! :)

:tup

Don't you toss managers when they get in your face, and don't get out of it?

Well, technically, for arguing balls and strikes he doesn't need to be in your face... I can't count the times Larry Bowa was tossed while in the dugout, and then came out to get his money's worth... but sheesh, a game of that importance, let the freakin' players decide the thing, that's what people pay their money for, not the stinking umpire's bruised ego on display. Edmonds getting chucked was just because the ump was already pissed at La Russa.

Still.....I think the Astros deserved to win with those great defensive plays in the 9th to make Lidge look better than he was this time!

I'm not a great lip reader, but Edmonds said the 'magic'(F***) word- he denied any profanity, but it was clear to me that he said the word- that's an ejection any time, like Randy Johnson when he got tossed.

Did anyone else notice what a great commentator Lou Pinella was, he made the game a lot more interesting to watch.

Oh I agree! I was so pleased when he suggested that he'd have Figgins swing away with a man on second. (I HATE bunting a guy from 2nd to 3rd. The circumstances for doing it with a non-pitcher at the plate are rarely justified in my book.) Timmy says "how can you not bunt with the way Figgins is swinging." Hit & run and Figgins hits it to right. :)

Lou seems to be enjoying the gig and mentioned to the press that he's thinking of giving it a go for next year. (Fox hasn't committed one way or another.) I'd take him over most of the lot out there. I did think Al Leiter did a pretty good job last year too, but Lou gives a fuller picture of things as he's a manager.

Edited by Quincy

He'd still be managing the M's right now if the front office weren't a bunch of fuckin schmucks. What other team would let go Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey, Alex Rodriguez, Freddy Garcia, and Lou Pinella all within a 5 year period. We could have been a dynasty had they pulled the trigger on a few moves at the deadline instead of moving franchise player after franchise player. They got a big town revenue stream and a small town mentality. Grrrr bah.gif

Go Sox...whatever sign%20who%20gives%20a%20fuck.gif

He'd still be managing the M's right now if the front office weren't a bunch of fuckin schmucks.

As a "gone native" M's fan I do miss him. But wasn't the draw of hometown Tampa partially responsible for him leaving too? Along with the bold dream of turning the Devil Rays (who may be renamed :rolleyes:) around into a winner. :rofl: (Actually if Tampa spent another $20 million wisely they'd have a pretty darn good team.)

What other team would let go Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey, Alex Rodriguez, Freddy Garcia, and Lou Pinella all within a 5 year period.

Well, we wouldn't have had both Randy & Freddy at the same time (not that you were saying that.) But I hear ya! It bugs me the amount of money they spend on the likes of Raul Ibanez yet they didn't scrape together enough on the above. Though I guess Randy was disgruntled, Jr. wanted to be closer to FL, and Alex wanted to be closer to NYC museums.

We'll be back!

Unfortunately for this Yankee fan, you guys knocked A-Rod pretty good and he sure didn't disappoint you.  And the difference between him and "Captain Clutch", aka Derek Jeter, when it comes to quality hitting in a must game will never be more glaring.  The guy who really surprised me with a bad hitting performance however was Matsui - 0-9 in the last two games with lots of bad outs, e.g., pop ups with men on base.

Oh well, I thought this team had too many weaknesses to go all the way, but I am surprised they're knocked out this early.

I told you, THE YANKEES WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER WORLD SERIES UNTIL THEY GET RID OF A-ROD. I'm not fuckin' around, it's the truth. You look at his numbers and it makes you drool, but once you've gone through a couple seasons with him on your team you start to realize that he's not a gamer. I'd take Jeter over A-rod in nano second.

The mother of Yankee star Alex Rodriguez is defending her son's poor playoff performance, saying the slugger was secretly grieving over the death of his uncle. cry.gif-- New York Daily News

Got to give it up to you for predicting the Whitesox would go to the series. The problem these days seems to be everyone makes predictions based on the last game that was played, not looking at an overall picture. The Whitesoxs really didn't cool down that much, the Indians got ridiculously hot and stayed hotter longer than anyone thought but you knew they were going to cool down eventually.

This is really not an accurate statement, at least not as far as the White Sox are concerned.

On August 1, the White Sox stood at 69-35, the Indians at 55-51.

On September 24 (the high water mark for the Indians) the White Sox were 93-61. They'd gone 24-26 over the last 50 games. The Indians were 92-63 and had gone a remarkable 37-12 over the previous 49.

Go back a bit further. From the all-star break, July 14, (58-29) to September 24, the White Sox were 35-36.

They were supremely mediocre until they got their shit together the last week of the season, and got themselves primed for the playoffs.

Remember, it takes two for a comeback/collapse. The Indians came back and the White Sox played poorly enough to let them. Hell, late in the season, they had the same second-half winning percentage as the Colorado Rockies.

Man Pujol's shot was sweet!

When the announcers said "don't throw him a fastball" I shouted "hit a hanger into the Crawford boxes." (Boy do I hate that name for some reason.) Eck hung a slider vs. Gibson, and when the pitch is flat it goes a country mile. I think the extra word with the right side infielders may have tipped the 'stros hand as far as the pitch too.

Woo hoo! Thank you Albert for letting me revisit my old childhood park (via the tube) at least one more time!