Baseball 2005

Well, the ESPN experts have spoken and they are unanimous in their predictions of the NLDS (we're in for a repeat of last year's NLCS, Houston vs St. Louis) and 3 of 5 predict that the Pale Hose will lose to the World Champions, and 4 of 5 predict that the Bombers will go home early, too.

Well, I am pretty sure the Cards can take the Padres, even if the Padres somehow won the season series...I am not that sure about the Braves losing again to the Astros. The Astros have great pitching, no doubt, but they do not have much offense(See Clemen's 13 wins with a 1.81 E.R.A.) and the braves have much, much, much more energy than they have had in years past. Francoeur cooled off at the end of the season, but he really seems to be the real deal. He may have the best arm in baseball...I saw one assist where from right he thru a strike to the plate, no one bounce, no nothing! :eye: The astros also don't have Beltran or Kent this year either...Hey Dan, only 11 of the 12 "experts" predict the Astros! :P

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers will not renew contract of pitcher Rogers

October 4, 2005

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, who was suspended for 13 games after shoving two cameramen, will not be offered a contract for next season.

"We feel it is in the club's best interests to move forward without him," Rangers general manager John Hart said in a statement.

The 40-year-old Rogers compiled a 14-8 record with a 3.46 earned run average in a turbulent year. He broke a bone in his non-pitching hand while punching a water cooler in addition to the scuffle with two television cameramen.

Commissioner Bud Selig suspended Rogers for 20 games and fined him $50,000 for the scuffle. The suspension was reduced to 13 games on appeal.

"There was a strong and unanimous feeling that this (the incident) was something that could not be repaired," Rangers owner Tom Hicks told The Dallas Morning News.

Then why didn't they drop his pathetic embarassing ass when it happened? After the season is over they find some sac? :tdown

Rangers will not renew contract of pitcher Rogers

October 4, 2005

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Texas Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers, who was suspended for 13 games after shoving two cameramen, will not be offered a contract for next season.

"We feel it is in the club's best interests to move forward without him," Rangers general manager John Hart said in a statement.

The 40-year-old Rogers compiled a 14-8 record with a 3.46 earned run average in a turbulent year. He broke a bone in his non-pitching hand while punching a water cooler in addition to the scuffle with two television cameramen.

Commissioner Bud Selig suspended Rogers for 20 games and fined him $50,000 for the scuffle. The suspension was reduced to 13 games on appeal.

"There was a strong and unanimous feeling that this (the incident) was something that could not be repaired," Rangers owner Tom Hicks told The Dallas Morning News.

Then why didn't they drop his pathetic embarassing ass when it happened? After the season is over they find some sac? :tdown

Bring him to the Dodgers. He and Milton Bradley will be like two silly-named jackass peas in a pod. :rolleyes:

Anyone surprised that Alan Trammell was let go? Or Jim Tracy??? :eye:  They seemed to be doing the best they could with the talent they had....and truly bled the colors of their respective teams. Did I miss some negative stories somewhere???

I was a little surprised at the firing of Trammell, but I think 2 things hurt him. One was how unexpectedly well they did in 2004. The bigger problem is Jim Leyland wants to manage again and Detroit is trying to grab him.

Though I don't like the Dodgers I too thought Tracy did the best he could with what was given him. But the lack of playoff success over the past 17 years is tough to take, so when in doubt, fire the manager.

Hoping for a White Sox/Astros or Braves World Series.

Chisox longer suffering than Bosox though you wouldn't know it. Those are the most insufferably whining fans of all. They have had their chances many more times than the Chisox.

Braves? I hate them but Bobby Cox deserves it. What a run!

Astros? If the Nationals couldn't make it then I root for the Astros. The Zephyrs are our AAA team, but for now I guess Houston has to be New Orleans' team...

Chisox longer suffering than Bosox though you wouldn't know it. Those are the most insufferably whining fans of all. They have had their chances many more times than the Chisox. Boston is a great franchise but I hate them in the playoffs. It's the media's fault for making them their darling.

Astros? If the Nationals couldn't make it then I root for the Astros. The Zephyrs are our AAA team, but for now I guess Houston has to be New Orleans' team...

Edited by It Should be You

Chisox longer suffering than Bosox though you wouldn't know it. Those are the most insufferably whining fans of all. They have had their chances many more times than the Chisox.

Yes but who suffers more, the one that continually has a good team yet falls just short, or the one that usually sucks every year? The Boston fan knows heartbreak, the White Sox fan knows shitty baseball.

(I'm a Philies/Mariner fan btw - not from Boston)

Anyone surprised that Alan Trammell was let go? Or Jim Tracy??? :eye:  They seemed to be doing the best they could with the talent they had....and truly bled the colors of their respective teams. Did I miss some negative stories somewhere???

I was a little surprised at the firing of Trammell, but I think 2 things hurt him. One was how unexpectedly well they did in 2004. The bigger problem is Jim Leyland wants to manage again and Detroit is trying to grab him.

Though I don't like the Dodgers I too thought Tracy did the best he could with what was given him. But the lack of playoff success over the past 17 years is tough to take, so when in doubt, fire the manager.

I would just post a link, but it is the LA times, so here is the article...

Dodgers and Tracy 'Part Ways'

Team cuts ties with its manager one day after the conclusion of a disappointing season.

By Steve Henson, Times Staff Writer

The Dodgers acted swiftly and decisively Monday, severing ties with Manager Jim Tracy one day after the end of a disappointing season, one month after Tracy asked for a contract extension and one year after the team won its first division title since 1996.

The parting was described by General Manager Paul DePodesta not as a firing or a resignation, rather as "a mutual parting of ways." Neither side could reconcile disagreements over roster changes made last off-season, and Tracy did not want to continue without an extension that would provide him security through 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT

"It was not going to be in my best interest to be in the dugout as a lame-duck manager," Tracy said. "I asked myself the question, 'Could I get the club back to where it was at the end of 2004 before the end of 2006?' I thought there was a good possibility it would take more time than that."

Tracy, who posted a 427-383 record in five seasons, will be paid his base salary of $700,000 — at the low end of compensation for an experienced manager — if he doesn't find another job next season. He is considered a leading candidate for the Pittsburgh Pirates' opening, and his name has been mentioned for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays' vacancy.

His departure is the latest in a string of moves bewildering to many Dodger fans. The team's future is now firmly in the hands of DePodesta, the 32-year-old Harvard-educated executive brought in after the 2003 season a few weeks after Boston real estate developer Frank McCourt purchased the team.

McCourt is out of town and did not speak to Tracy. But reached through his spokesperson, he said, "On a personal basis, I am very fond of Jim Tracy and his family, and thank him for his professionalism and dedicated service to the Dodgers. The relationship between a general manager and a manager is critical for the long-term success of a franchise. Given this, I fully support Paul DePodesta in his decision to make a change."

DePodesta overhauled the roster through trades and free-agent signings, and now will bring in a manager of his choosing. But the team he largely inherited posted a 93-69 record and won the National League West division championship in 2004, while the roster that reflected his dramatic changes went 71-91, the team's second-worst record since moving from Brooklyn in 1958.

Tracy values defense and speed more than DePodesta, who is convinced that power and an ability get on base are paramount. Many of DePodesta's ideas were spawned when he served under General Manager Billy Beane in the Oakland front office, an approach described in the book "Moneyball."

"These philosophical differences would exist whether we won 71 games or 95 games," DePodesta said. "And we would [be changing managers] regardless of our record. It's not necessarily about disagreeing with me. It's ultimately about all of us in baseball operations being on the same page."

DePodesta said the search for a new manager could take several weeks. He will be in Italy for six days beginning Wednesday for his sister's wedding and expects to begin interviewing candidates next week. Dodger minor league staffers Terry Collins and Jerry Royster, Angel pitching coach Bud Black, Oakland Athletic coach Ron Washington and former New York Met manager Bobby Valentine could be among those considered.

Tracy was an obscure bench coach when the Dodgers hired him in 2001 to replace Davey Johnson. He was 86-76 each of his first two seasons and 92-70 in 2003. The Dodgers broke through and won the division title in 2004 before the bottom fell out this season.

"When 'Jim Who' was hired, everyone was waiting to see if I would make it to the All-Star break," Tracy said. "I proved to a lot of people my capabilities."

Tracy, 49, asked for a contract extension in a Sept. 8 meeting, a bold request considering the team's place in the standings. DePodesta's thinking changed at that point. He had spent numerous hours with Tracy trying to reach common ground and was comfortable with keeping him under his current contract.

But Tracy was just as adamant about the extension, stopping just short of calling it an ultimatum. Had the Dodgers refused the extension and Tracy stayed, it would only have exacerbated the resentment the manager already felt toward DePodesta for the roster changes.

"From my end, the biggest thing was the personnel factor and the evaluation of those players," Tracy said. "I just felt very strongly that the right thing to do would be to move on."

Some of the disagreements have been clear. DePodesta believes first baseman Hee-Seop Choi and infielder Antonio Perez can be productive everyday players. Tracy is partial to players such as shortstop Cesar Izturis and former Dodger Alex Cora, whose contributions aren't necessarily reflected in statistics.

DePodesta traded outfielder Shawn Green and did not re-sign Cora, third baseman Adrian Beltre or outfielder Steve Finley, among others.

Tracy declined to criticize DePodesta about their differences in opinion.

"I really feel the ultimate answer will play itself out over the long haul," Tracy said. "To say my feelings are correct or Paul's are correct is unfair.

"What took place in my first four years is a testament to the fact that a lot of it worked."

Yes but who suffers more, the one that continually has a good team yet falls just short, or the one that usually sucks every year?  The Boston fan knows heartbreak, the White Sox fan knows shitty baseball.

Spoken like someone who has never seen the White Sox play. The Sox don't suffer from bad play, they simply suffer from the worst ownership on the planet. The year of the strike, we were the best team in baseball, and Reinsdorf was practically begging for a strike. Then we see the fire sale that wipes us out when we're only 3 games out. Then this year, we're standing on top of all of baseball, and Williams and Reinsdorf refuse to look for any big bats whatsoever.

I would assume that a 14-2 blow-out would demand a little respect, and for any other team in the majors, it would. But for the Sox, even if we win the whole thing, everyone will still blow it off.

Yes but who suffers more, the one that continually has a good team yet falls just short, or the one that usually sucks every year?  The Boston fan knows heartbreak, the White Sox fan knows shitty baseball.

Spoken like someone who has never seen the White Sox play. The Sox don't suffer from bad play, they simply suffer from the worst ownership on the planet. The year of the strike, we were the best team in baseball, and Reinsdorf was practically begging for a strike. Then we see the fire sale that wipes us out when we're only 3 games out. Then this year, we're standing on top of all of baseball, and Williams and Reinsdorf refuse to look for any big bats whatsoever.

I would assume that a 14-2 blow-out would demand a little respect, and for any other team in the majors, it would. But for the Sox, even if we win the whole thing, everyone will still blow it off.

This may be true, but for whatever reason the White Sox haven't seen the World Series in almost 50 years. The Red Sox have been there at least once a decade since 1960. What that translates into for me is Red Sox = good, White Sox = stinky. Sorry Paul, the truth hurts sometimes. :P

Yes but who suffers more, the one that continually has a good team yet falls just short, or the one that usually sucks every year? The Boston fan knows heartbreak, the White Sox fan knows shitty baseball.

Who suffers more? The team who has been out of the chances longer, that's who, including the Astros.

This year I root definitely the Chisox. They have been out of it longer. Since the Black Sox scandal. Since this is the steroids scandal year, it would be ironic if they won. I don't think they have anyone on their team in the scandal this time.

My hats off to Ted Williams. Greatest hitter of all time!

Edited by It Should be You

This year I root definitely the Chisox. They have been out of it longer.  Since the Black Sox scandal. Since this is the steroids scandal year, it would be ironic if they won. I don't think they have anyone on their team in the scandal this time.

Actually, the White Sox were in the World Series in 1959. they haven't WON since 1917.

This year I root definitely the Chisox. They have been out of it longer.  Since the Black Sox scandal. Since this is the steroids scandal year, it would be ironic if they won. I don't think they have anyone on their team in the scandal this time.

Actually, the White Sox were in the World Series in 1959. they haven't WON since 1917.

59? 17? Yeah, I can see how long suffering they are in Boston. Boo hoo. :party:

I thought the Trammell firing was a case of 'fire the manager because you can't fire the players'. Trammell didn't sign Pudge(I'm 35 lbs lighter and can't hit for power anymore & I hate walks) Rodriguez, Magglio(My knee is a wreck, but I'll take the $15mil a year you're giving me) Ordonez, or that expensive closer that I can't name right now. Maybe the GM should have gotten the ax.

I would assume that a 14-2 blow-out would demand a little respect, and for any other team in the majors, it would.  But for the Sox, even if we win the whole thing, everyone will still blow it off.

One game doesn't send you to the ALCS. Lose 3-2 or 14-2 we're still down 1-0. And in 2003 we were down 2-0 to the A's and swept three straight.

So, no, you don't get any respect for one win. Win two more, and my hats off. Win 6 more and I say, nice job. Win 10 more and I'll say "congratulations, clearly the Baseball Gods are working their way backwards: The Sox win it all, then the White Sox, clearly next year it will be the Cubs to end the misery."

I would assume that a 14-2 blow-out would demand a little respect, and for any other team in the majors, it would.  But for the Sox, even if we win the whole thing, everyone will still blow it off.

One game doesn't send you to the ALCS. Lose 3-2 or 14-2 we're still down 1-0. And in 2003 we were down 2-0 to the A's and swept three straight.

So, no, you don't get any respect for one win. Win two more, and my hats off. Win 6 more and I say, nice job. Win 10 more and I'll say "congratulations, clearly the Baseball Gods are working their way backwards: The Sox win it all, then the White Sox, clearly next year it will be the Cubs to end the misery."

Fair enough. But a win like that certainly gives me more hope than I had going into yesterday at 3pm, that's for sure.

Fair enough. But a win like that certainly gives me more hope than I had going into yesterday at 3pm, that's for sure.

Jazzy Paul,

I would agree that it is a big win for you guys and I'm sure you don't think it's over by any stretch of the imagination....still a big win! Always better to be 1-0 that 0-1!!!

m~

Having always been an American League fan, I recall watching the '59 World Series on TV and being quite happy with the first game's result: White Sox 11, Dodgers 0. These Sox lost the WS in 6. So while a 14-2 victory is very nice, I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Anyway, I read this morning that Contreras partially credits Ozzie Guillen for his success in that the manager personally speaks to him in Spanish. Gee, is that what Torre needed to get the most out of this Yankee bust? Just think Dan, if Torre could speak Spanish, you just might change your mind about his managerial prowess. :)