Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1975t-f.jpg

anyone still have their old baseball cards??

anyone want to buy some big mac and bonds cards??

...I still have a ton of cards from my youth. Funny thing about the Bonds/McGwire cards, I just read an article that said the value of them have not declined as of yet.

Mark

Baseball cards...football cards...boy is that a sore subject. When I was growing up, my twin brother and I had thousands of these. All kinds of cards from the early '50's thru the early '60's, the period when we were both really into collecting. While I can't say we took great care of these, the sheer volume was overwhelming. We kept them in a four drawer chest in a storage room in the house we grew up in. Periodically, my mom would go through this room and clean it up. I still rue the day when we were in high school and didn't pay any attention to cards, and she asked us if we really needed to keep them anymore. We both told her we didn't want 'em and she threw them away. Jeezus...when I think of what went into the dumpster that day, it makes me cringe.

I have a friend who thought the same thing had happened to his collection. About five years ago, his Dad was going through a bunch of boxes under their basement stairs and found all his cards. I mean tons of them, all in good condition. Some very valuable stuff. He's since sold off about $10,000 worth, but has kept many of his favorites. It actually got him back into collecting. Now he just concentrates on complete sets from certain years. Everything he buys now has to be PSA 8 or above. You want to talk expensive.

Right now all I have is a complete set of 1959 Topps Yankee and Cincinnati Reds cards and some assorted others of interest. Jim Boutin's rookie card, a '50's card of John Beradino, who played for the St. Louis Browns and Pittsburg Pirates and later starred in the soap opera General Hospital. Also, some cards with weird names. Guys like Memo Luna and Coot Veal. The prize of my collection though, is a framed and mounted B&W picture of Ralph Branca choking Bobby Thomson, taken the same day as "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" with each of their autographs and 1951 Bowman cards of both players.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

i have 2 1987 cello packs with barry bonds on the front

sets i have

1975 topps (i've owned this set since 1983)

1978 topps (MINT) - opened lots of $.15 packs when i was a kid now packs sell for $20-25

1980 topps (first set/year i kept my cards in mint shape)

1981 topps and traded

1981 fleer

1982 topps (have 95 % of a second set)

1983 topps

1984 topps

1985 topps

1986 topps

different 1987-89 topps/donruss/fleer

i have alot of cards i'd like to have graded but i have no extra $$$

you must have your cards graded in the bb card business today

Baseball cards...football cards...boy is that a sort subject. When I was growing up, my twin brother and I had thousands of these. All kinds of cards from the early '50's thru the early '60's, the period when we were both really into collecting. While I can't say we took great care of these, the sheer volume was overwhelming. We kept them in a four drawer chest in a storage room in the house we grew up in. Periodically, my mom would go through this room and clean it up. I still rue the day when we were in high school and didn't pay any attention to cards, and she asked us if we really needed to keep them anymore. We both told her we didn't want 'em and she threw them away. Jeezus...when I think of what went into the dumpster that day, it makes me cringe.

Yup, same thing happened to my dad.

FWIW, this is now the only baseball thread. Two threads was unnecessary.

sets i have

1975 topps (i've owned this set since 1983)

Do you have the "mini" cards? I used to throw out all of my "old" cards when the new season started, but I started keeping them all from about 1975-1981 or so ... the cool thing was that in Michigan, along with a couple of other places, the '75 cards were printed about half the size of regular ones as a test of some sort ... so their worth about twice as much as the regular ones.

Tough, tough loss for the Cubs with Nomah out for two months minimum. And the poor guy: Two years ago, he left 15 million a year on the table, almost gets replaced by A-Rod, gets injured, traded, best he can do is a one year deal with the hope he can show that he's healthy and productive, and now this, which will be taken as proof he's injury-prone. Now the best thing he can hope for is another one year, incentive-laden deal.

And the Cubs have no middle infield, with Walker out, too. :(

Meanwhile, let's compare the Yanks and O's and the Sox and O's, shall we?

Yanks get swept by the O's by a three game cumulative score of 23-11.

The Sox sweep the O's with two straight shut-outs.

B-) :lol:

And Harold, are you still sure you'd take the Yanks starters "any day" over the Sox? Let's see, until Pavano last night, the Yanks had gone 11 straight starts without meeting the minimum standard of a "quality start" and the only pitcher who isn't going 7+ is Schilling. Wells, working on a 15 inning scoreless streak; Clement is lights out, Wakefield is just sick, with an era of 1.36 or something.

And Harold, are you still sure you'd take the Yanks starters "any day" over the Sox? Let's see, until Pavano last night, the Yanks had gone 11 straight starts without meeting the minimum standard of a "quality start" and the only pitcher who isn't going 7+ is Schilling. Wells, working on a 15 inning scoreless streak; Clement is lights out, Wakefield is just sick, with an era of 1.36 or something.

and to think the Yanks let Leiber go to get bigger names like Johnson and Pavano. he's already 4-0 with the Phillies this year.

Yeah, no doubt the Yanks are really kicking themselves over Leiber. They just had no clue what the market for pitching would be.

Harold, to clarify the relative strengths of the pitching staffs, here it is in a nutshell:

Yankee starters:

ONE "quality start" in the last THIRTEEN games.

Sox starters:

Collective ERA of 1.13 in the last SEVEN games.

Brown goes tonite for the Bombers, who will likely have to do some bombing.

Wakefield and his 1.35 ERA goes tonite against the D-Rays.

Laughin your ass off even more today:

Rangers 10 Yanks 1

in the 8th, and they've pounded out 18 hits to the Bronx "Bombers" 3? :wacko:

But on a positive note, Jaret Wright's ERA came down under 10 ...

but somehow I don't think it kept the boo birds from givng him a few Bronx cheers ... and need I say it? I think King George might feel a tantrum coming on. :excited::rmad::ph34r:

:w

Edited by Dan Gould

Oh man, it just got worse for George's Nine:

Not only did Wright struggle again, but he came out in the sixth with pain in his shoulder.

How long can Tanyon Sturtze, last released by Tampa Bay, go as a replacement starter? And what if Brown's back locks up or he goes another ten with the clubhouse wall?

Is it time for Panic in the Bronx yet?

:w

Hey, didn't Chan Ho Park have another good start??? What is this world coming to??? :huh:

I know! He's had more good starts this season than he's had in his entire tenure with the Rangers leading up to this season!

And even though he's a Yank, my hat goes off to Randy Johnson (even tho' he clobbered us today... dirty @##%^$^$@&$@!*): he took time out to mentor to a young Ranger pitcher on Saturday. Apparently, they met and discussed mechanics, drills, workouts, etc. Very VERY cool in my book. I guess he figured that, since Nolan Ryan did the same for him when he was a struggling young pitcher, he wanted to pass along the wisdom learned.

And Dan, yes it was SO sweet beating Kevin Brown the other night! Gotta love it!!!