Baseball 2005

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is just the law of averages catching up with the Red Sox. I did not realize this, but last season, Boston's scheduled starters pitched in 157 of 162 games. That's unheard of. With regard to physical conditioning, that could very well be a factor in Wells' problems. He can pooh pooh this all he wants, but at nearly 42 years of age and after years of not really taking very good care of himself, maybe this kind of thing is inevitable. Frankly, he looks heavier to me than he did even last year with the Padres. That can't be very encouraging in terms of his being able to pitch effectively this season.

Not sure I buy into the "field conditions" argument. Any major league home team's groundskeepers are going to groom a mound just like a particular starting pitcher likes it, just like they trim the grass or water the infield dirt to try to minimize the strengths of the oppositing team.

Up over and Harold.

I'm sure Arroyo will appeal, given the status of the pitching staff. If he's lucky, he can put off the suspension or get it reduced and end up serving it after Schilling comes back.

Its ironic, because Arroyo was doing what pitchers have done for 100 years, and he did it the right way: He protected his teammate (who had a ball aimed at his head) by plunking the guy on the hip with an 85 MPH fastball. He did what he had to do, and to miss a start because of it is wrong. IF he had retaliated by firing a fastball at someone's head, then by all means, suspend him. but he did what you're supposed to do, and he plunked the guy in about as gentle a way as you can.

when will griffey hit a homer?

73 AB's and no HRs, 7 RBI and a .247 BA.

stinky.jpg

You wanna talk about curses (or karma really)...When Griffey was playing in his final season for the Mariners he demanded to be traded. He had a no trade clause and could only be traded with his OK. Fine. But then the stupid ass announces publicly that he'll only go to the Reds, essentially tying the Mariners hands putting them in a position of having to except whatever the Reds were willing to give, which turned out to be Mike Cameron - an exceptional centerfielder but no where close to the 5-tool Griffey.

To me, the problems he's faced in Cincinnati are payback for being such an asshole to the team that brought him up through their system, bent over backward to accommodate him and offered him more money than Cincinnati did in order to keep him.

Poor Griffey, could have been one of the true elites, now he'll just barely make it into the hall....and you can bet your ass they'll put a Mariners cap on that plaque.

I'm sure Arroyo will appeal, given the status of the pitching staff. If he's lucky, he can put off the suspension or get it reduced and end up serving it after Schilling comes back.

Its ironic, because Arroyo was doing what pitchers have done for 100 years, and he did it the right way: He protected his teammate (who had a ball aimed at his head) by plunking the guy on the hip with an 85 MPH fastball. He did what he had to do, and to miss a start because of it is wrong. IF he had retaliated by firing a fastball at someone's head, then by all means, suspend him. but he did what you're supposed to do, and he plunked the guy in about as gentle a way as you can.

He may have done what some people think he should have done, but you aren't suppose to actually throw at an opposing player. I'm sure it gets the point across, but actually throwing to hit someone always leads to this kind of shit. Now my favorite pitcher ever (Bob Gibson) used to send a wake-up call every now and then ;) but the times are different now; much less tollerance!

You're right, Mark, and I probably overstated it; there was a warning, and he did plunk him.

But at least he plunked him the right way.

And Johnny, Griffey had a say in where he could be traded. He didn't have a right to demand a trade. The M's gave him the right to veto a trade, so you can't complain about being "stuck" with whatever they were offered. They could have simply kept him for the duration of his contract.

And whatever you want to say about Griffey and the Hall, he's still a no-doubt-about-it candidate, and as far as I am concerned, he's got better, cleaner qualifications than Bonds, let alone McGuire.

You're right, Mark, and I probably overstated it; there was a warning, and he did plunk him.

But at least he plunked him the right way.

And Johnny, Griffey had a say in where he could be traded. He didn't have a right to demand a trade. The M's gave him the right to veto a trade, so you can't complain about being "stuck" with whatever they were offered. They could have simply kept him for the duration of his contract.

And whatever you want to say about Griffey and the Hall, he's still a no-doubt-about-it candidate, and as far as I am concerned, he's got better, cleaner qualifications than Bonds, let alone McGuire.

Dan,

As I pitcher, I certainly believe the plate belongs to me. If a guy is hanging over it and gets a little too confortable like A-rod did the other night, I think I'll probably thrown inside ;) a few times!

As far as Griffey goes, he appears to be a good guy but I think he's made a career of making routine (for a guy with his speed and ability) plays in the outfield look a "little" more difficult than they are. That said, he is/was a great player and has made his share of fantastic plays through the years. I've seen him play dozens of times live and some of those plays are a little more routine that he makes them appear....just my 2 cents.

Mark

griffey hit a home today.....

i was getting worried, i thought he would wind up on the dl before hitting his first homer

i have him going down for the season june 1st

Make it June 16, so my wife and I can see him at Fenway June 14 and 15. :)

i must of said july 1st in a post somewhere else in this or another thread...

i remember you saying that you are going to see griffey, BEFORE my prediction

i've seen griffey in 2 spring training games w/ seattle

once with the big unit and the other with pay-rod

ss1

what do you think of the schilling v pinella spat?

IMO schill doesn't look good on this one

lou spend more time in the bigs than schilling been alive

I definitely think Schilling is running his mouth, but on the other hand, if anyone on the Rays actually said "this is why we lose 100 games a year" there ain't no way in hell they would have copped to it at the team meeting when Piniella asked.

Interesting stat from Peter Gammons today:

Through Sunday, Baltimore has the second-best record in the majors at 17-7 (a .708 winning percentage). The White Sox have the best at 18-7 (.720). Since 1976, 13 teams have finished April with a .700 (or better) winning percentage, and 10 have made the playoffs. The following is the gross data, and teams that were at those percentage levels heading into Sunday:

May 1 winning pct.; # of teams, # made playoffs, pct. 

Over .700;             13,               10, 77%  White Sox 

.600-.700;             46,                24, 52%  Cardinals, Orioles, Twins, Marlins,   

Dodgers 

.550-.599;             39,               16, 41%  Braves, D-Backs 

.500-.549;             42,               11, 26%  Angels, Red Sox, Nationals, Cubs, A's,

Giants, Mariners, Blue Jays, Tigers 

.450-.499;             36,               8, 22%  Rangers, Padres, Mets 

.400-.449;               36,               2, 6%  Yankees, Phillies, Reds, Astros, Brewers 

Under .400;           54,                1, 2%  Indians, Devil Rays, Pirates, Rockies, 

Royals

Conclusions:

Maybe the White Sox [can think about printing playoff tickets;

The Yanks have put themselves behind the 8-ball: Since 1976, out of 36 teams that had a winning percentage betwee .400 and .449 on May 1, only 2 have made the play-offs.

On the other hand, none of those 36 teams had a 205 million dollar payroll.

Edited by Dan Gould

I truly felt at the beginning of this year that the Orioles would contend and perhaps break the stranglehold that the Yanks & Red Sox have on the AL East. So their success thus far does not surprise me at all. However, the Yanks' dismal showing at this point is cause for concern (among the minority here that root for the General Motors of the baseball world). The starting pitching is not holding up, e.g., Wright, Pavano, inconsistent Randy, Mussina apparently in decline. OTOH, I can be objective and feel positive that the basic baseball truisms to which I have always clinged chief among which is that there really is no substitute for home grown talent, remains axiomatic. So Dan, do you think the Orioles are for real and can they stay ahead of your beloved Sox?

Is this the baseball thread, or the Yanks vs. Boston thread? Boston and New York are barely on the radar, and I'm the only one bringing the White Sox. Get into gear, people, and show some freakin' respect! Garland is at 8-0.

I will be spending the summer at 35th and Shields watching the sox do some winning. Dig it.

Is this the baseball thread, or the Yanks vs. Boston thread? Boston and New York are barely on the radar, and I'm the only one bringing the White Sox. Get into gear, people, and show some freakin' respect! Garland is at 8-0.

You don't get no respect until:

You get the man's record right (5-0)

You WIN something other than the division lead on May 1.

My baseball watching experience is forever altered--On Saturday I got to go to the Dodger game, and sat in a "luxury suite" fully stocked with Amstel light, trays of hot dogs, wings, salads, etc. A desert cart loaded with cheesecakes, caramel apples, and assorted treats even came by the room. The luxury suites come with around 10 Herman Miller Aeron chairs (retail at $800-$1000 a pop) for everyone to sit in--a far cry from the plastic seats/waiting in line for beer & grub common to general attendance. The view of the field was unbelievably good. Who says money doesn't buy happiness?

Dodgers won 6-2. B-)

Marty,

Its hard to say that the O's aren't for real, given their bats, but I have to wonder about whether their pitching will hold up. But then again, the Yanks proved last year that you can have inconsistent pitching and bomb your way to 100+ wins.

Talk to me in July, but at this point I would not count out the possibility that the Yanks or the Sox will be on the outside looking in come October, as the Orioles may break up the Division or Wild Card streak.

My baseball watching experience is forever altered--On Saturday I got to go to the Dodger game, and sat in a "luxury suite" fully stocked with Amstel light, trays of hot dogs, wings, salads, etc. A desert cart loaded with cheesecakes, caramel apples, and assorted treats even came by the room. The luxury suites come with around 10 Herman Miller Aeron chairs (retail at $800-$1000 a pop) for everyone to sit in--a far cry from the plastic seats/waiting in line for beer & grub common to general attendance. The view of the field was unbelievably good. Who says money doesn't buy happiness?

I can understand the appeal, but that wasn't a day at the park, that was something else entirely.

Part of the baseball experience is the plastic seat and the waiting in line. Its also the sun on your face and the smell of the grass, the yells of the vendors, etc.

You didn't get none of that in your "luxury" box.

Well, I usually haven't sat close enough to smell the grass, and I'll take free beer from a fridge over an inning-long wait for a $10 plastic cup any day! But I know what you're saying, Dan.

... you aren't suppose to actually throw at an opposing player. I'm sure it gets the point across, but actually throwing to hit someone always leads to this kind of shit. Now my favorite pitcher ever (Bob Gibson) used to send a wake-up call every now and then ;) but the times are different now; much less tollerance!

Back in Cleveland MudCat Grant would call it "playin' a little chin music, Harry (Jones)". :g