Travelling to Paris, France

Hi Folks,

Since you guys are better than Fodders by a long shot, I was wondering what recommendations you have for Paris.

Carla and I are thinking about a trip in late-October or early-November. Is this a bad time of year to be going there?

Any help that you good folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by undergroundagent

Hi Folks,

Since you guys are better than Fodders by a long shot, I was wondering what recommendations you have for Paris.

Carla and I are thinking about a trip in late-October or early-November. Is this a bad time of year to be going there?

Any help that you good folks can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I've been to Paris at this exact time. The weather was a little chilly but not many tourist....I loved it!

Mark

Do you folks have any suggestions for good hotels? Eateries?

Or would you recomment renting an apartment over staying at an Inn/Hotel?

Pipe in here brownie! B-)

I'll pipe in also. I stayed in a hotel and took the metro everywhere (in Paris). Very easy and efficient to use. I've been there several times but by no means am I an expert...... Paris is a fantastic city!!!

Thanks, Mark!

What was your best experience?

Being a photographer, my eyes were open to everything....I don't think I can pick one thing that stood out more than another.....The food was great, people friendly and at that time of the year, the city was not overly crowded. The hotel I stayed in last time is called "Hotel Raspail Montparnasse". It was rather small but I didn't spend much time there. It was very clean and the owners were very helpful with my frequent questions. I could see the Eiffel tower from my window which was pretty cool at night. The metro as well as many nice and famous restaruants were close by. See the hotel at http://www.charming-hotel-paris.com.

Mark

I am glad that I visited Paris, but I will never do so again.

Had to see the Louvre and the famous sites, Chartre, Versailles, all that, but I played the role of tourist while the French people played the role of "when you going to get out of here?" ;)

Just not my kind of place. I guess I'm happier visiting Third World places and "developing" countries.

It's worthwhile to go there once in your life, Al. Hopefully, you'll get more deeply involved with the place than I did...

Do you folks have any suggestions for good hotels? Eateries?

Or would you recommend renting an apartment over staying at an Inn/Hotel?

Pipe in here brownie! B-)

Hi there, undergroundagent!

Late October should be a fine time to visit the city. Weather is usually pretty civil around that time of the year.

Will PM you later with hotel and eateries recommendations.

How long are you planning to stay? Unless you stay for several weeks, hotels are still the recommended option!

Had to see the Louvre and the famous sites, Chartre, Versailles, all that, but I played the role of tourist while the French people played the role of "when you going to get out of here?" ;)

Just not my kind of place. I guess I'm happier visiting Third World places and "developing" countries.

It's worthwhile to go there once in your life, Al. Hopefully, you'll get more deeply involved with the place than I did...

I couldn´t disagree more.

I´ve been there five times (about 30 days in total) and everytime I return (last time it was a month and a half ago) I discover something new and exciting. The city has a special flavor, it really appeals to me much more than any other I have visited!

And no problem with the French people, ask brownie! ;)

Beautiful, evocative city.

We were last there two autumns ago, at the same time you plan to visit. You don't go to Paris for the weather! I mean, you have as much fun when it's damp and drizzly as much as when the sun shines. We had a big mixture. The old streets around the base of the Eiffel are gorgeous, as is most of Paris. The left bank was bustling and hipper-than-thou.

Marais was probably my favourite district; strewn with cafes, patiseries and art shops, although we didn't stay there. We were about 4 floors up in a rather bijous 3 star called Hotel des'Arts. The rooms were connected by the most basic of air conditioning systems whereby one could here the husky sounding blonde coming to orgasm at least 4 times during the night :D . Interesting.

The high point for me was a chanson bar called La Limonaire just around the corner in the 9e. The gig was hilarious even with my patchy French, the guitarist was like Zappa and the food was simple and delicious. It was made all the more enjoyable by the fact we were crammed in like sardines quaffing Cognac alongside some rather delectable young students :wub: .

Go.

Edited by tonym

as a frequent Paris visitor (for work unfortunately) I would not want to go there from November onward for vacation. October I think is still ok with some normally mellow weather.

Also, as long as I do not try to speak english, I never had any issue with the french B-)

My advise for travel: try to use the Metro where ever you go, specially if want to be there on time... if you have the luxury of having enough time, take busses....

..and yes, you will not discover all of Paris in one trip.

..and also, Paris is very expensive. Have second credit card with you

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

Haven't been to Paris for years so I can't give you any up to date info myself but one publication that may be helpful is the "Time Out" guide to Paris. What makes these guides different to some of the more traditional travel guides is that "Time Out" is London's weekly entertainment, events, leisure and listings magazine. Consequently their series of travel guides to various cities while still containing all the traditional information such as the historic sites etc. - are also strongly orientated towards information about going out when you're in town - for a start they list all the top jazz clubs in Paris! You'll also find recommendations for accomodation, other music venues, restaurants, radio stations, theatre ect. They have just published a new Paris edition in February 2005 (pictured below) which is available from amazon.co.uk - be careful they may still only have the 2004 edition available in the States at the moment. I think amazon.com are still displaying the previous edition.

1904978304.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Had to see the Louvre and the famous sites, Chartre, Versailles, all that, but I played the role of tourist while the French people played the role of "when you going to get out of here?"  ;)

Just not my kind of place.  I guess I'm happier visiting Third World places and "developing" countries.

It's worthwhile to go there once in your life, Al.  Hopefully, you'll get more deeply involved with the place than I did...

I couldn´t disagree more.

I´ve been there five times (about 30 days in total) and everytime I return (last time it was a month and a half ago) I discover something new and exciting. The city has a special flavor, it really appeals to me much more than any other I have visited!

And no problem with the French people, ask brownie! ;)

The French people act friendly when they meet friendly people :g

Just like people in New York, London or any other big cities...

Paris was one of my favorite stops during an all too brief Euro run about twenty years ago.

Let the city take you. Certainly happy I did not go the typical touristic route while there and my memories are stronger for that.

My only rec would be to visit the catacombs. After all the pastels and joi de vivre the perspective offered from being deep down in the earth amongst the skelptures certainly made the neck hair stand on end. Nothing several Stellas post haste did not cure.

Suggested tours of Paris areas:

- an evening boat (Bateau-Mouche) ride on the Seine river,

- a walk through the Marais district to include the Place des Vosges and the Ile Saint-Louis,

- a morning coffee and croissants on the Place Dauphine (close to the Palais de Justice), better than the touristy Place Saint-Germain cafes and the crowds at les Deux-Maqots and Cafe de Flore...

- the Musee d'Orsay is not be missed and if you like museums count on two visits at least to the Louvre, that place is just too much for one visit!