Shelly Manne: Live at the Black Hawk

neveronfriday

A search on this board turns up quite a few favourable reviews (to say the least) and I'd like to dedicate a thread to these live recordings (I hope my search hasn't missed any thread already started).

I have thousands of CDs, but these five have become desert island material and have held up over the years. I went through my collection for three days this weekend, reorganizing stuff, and when pulling these 5 CDs out, once again they became the soundtrack for all the work I put into my collection, sorting out, rearranging, etc.

To be quite honest, the work was actually interrupted when I started listening to this music once again, because I tried to listen out for things that make me like this set - above all else, really.

First of all, the 5 CDs I have are quite old already, but the sound quality is already superb.

Secondly, the musical quality across all 5 CDs is astonishingly consistent. One could argue that one or another CD is a bit weaker, but I won't even get into that. The set captures the live atmosphere brilliantly, the programme has me riveted every time, and the playing is just top-notch.

Last, but not least, I always feel elated when I listen to this stuff. It's just like medicine on a bad day and a superbly mixed cocktail on a good day. You can play this music at any time, again and again, and just enjoy it. Although I have many recordings/sessions I enjoy equally much or maybe even more, I do NOT have any live material that is as good as the recordings on these 5 CDs. Just brilliant.

One could spend hours analyzing this stuff, but I won't. It moves me and makes me feel good, and that's as much analysis as I need. Call me lazy, if you like.

Chime in, please.

I can, as I have before, ramble on endlessly about these discs. Most definitely desert island material. I'm a huge fan of Victor Feldman the pianist, and this is the best overall representation of his work on that instrument that I'm aware of.

The interesting thing, and you'll see this if you read the liner notes, is that Manne, in the absence of Russ Freeman, did not have his regular working band with him when they went into the Blackhawk. But, he recognized that something special was going chemistry-wise with this group and asked the Fantasy people to bring in their mobile recording equipment to capture the moment. I think we can all say thanks for his foresight in this respect.

One other thing about Shelly Manne. I think he is the most tasteful drummer in the history of jazz. He can kick a band along like no one else, but he's never overbearing and he's smart enough to recognize the inherent musical limitations of the drum solo. You rarely hear him take a break any longer than a moment.

Just great stuff.

Up over and out.

I almost started this same thread a few months ago (about the time my avatar was the cover of Volume 1 of this set). The recording quality on these is astounding, and I've yet to encounter another live recording from any era that beats it (in fact, from that era none even approaches it). And the original CD transfer/mastering from the early '90's is just superb--I think the Japanese, or anyone, would be hard-pressed to improve upon these CD's, even with the latest and greatest technology.

Also, the lack of Shelly solos nothwithstanding (sorry Jazz Kat), the level of ensemble playing on these CD's is marvelous. The subtle interplay and support among the musicians is at a level rarely attained (just listen to the way Manne, Budwig, and Feldman interact with each other, and with Gordon and Kamuca when they're soloing). Manne has to have been one of the most musical--and musically sensitive--drummers ever.

These 5 discs are amazing, and it's surprising that with all the rave reviews they get (the Penguin Guide gives them it's highest accolade), they aren't more popular. I guess Manne just doesn't have the star power of a Miles or a Coltrane.

Edited by Ron S

I share everybody's enthusiasm about this set. It doesn't get any better. These have been admired as audiophile quality recordings since the LP era, when there were only four volumes.

The albums were originally released on Contemporary, a label renowned for great sound quality. It is to Fantasy's credit (and to remastering engineer Phil DeLancie) that the CD's came out so good.

I do have a few quibbles with the programming choices for the CD bonus tracks. Each of the four original volumes contains an alternate version of a tune on the set. It seems to me that they could have put these tracks on different volumes just for the sake of variety.

Volume 5 was created for CD, and includes a tune "How Deep Are the Roots", creited to Horace Silver. I've been a Horace fan for forty years and have never heard of this tune. Does anybody know its origin?

This is a very fine recording of a very fine band. Let us not get carried away.

I do understand there are not a bunch of documents like this but it/they are not the holy grail.

Why can't/shouldn't people get "carried away" if that's the way they feel about these recordings?

Are you the jazz police, ready to tell people what they should value and how much they can value it?

This is a very fine recording of a very fine band. Let us not get carried away.

I do understand there are not a bunch of documents like this but it/they are not the holy grail.

Why can't/shouldn't people get "carried away" if that's the way they feel about these recordings?

Are you the jazz police, ready to tell people what they should value and how much they can value it?

He would be the jazz cop. ;)

(one person...)