Pandit Kamalesh Maitra - Tabla Tarang

7/4

So my response won't get lost in the "what are you listening to thread", I'm starting a new one.

Pandit Kamalesh Maitra - Tabla Tarang

I have a couple of CDs by him. Kool stuff (for folks who don't know what Tabla Tarang is: it's a set of tablas tuned to a scale, he plays raga on tuned percussion).

I've only heard this one disc. Which of the others would you recommend first?

My guess is that you have Smithsonian/Folkways SF40436. TablaTarang02.jpg

Edited by 7/4

Chandra,

You have to keep in mind, Tabla Tarang is a melodic percussion instrument. Trilok accompanies him as a rhythmic percussionist. It sounds totally natural. If you haven't heard this, you definitely have a strong recommendation from me! This is beautiful human music ancient and of the moment.

You have to keep in mind, Tabla Tarang is a melodic percussion instrument. Trilok accompanies him as a rhythmic percussionist. It sounds totally natural. If you haven't heard this, you definitely have a strong recommendation from me! This is beautiful human music ancient and of the moment.

Understood. I have listened to bits of it before, I will have to get the CD and get into it lot more.

Here is another such thing along the same lines, called Jalatharangam ( tuned water bowls). It is intriguing as well.

hotpicks2.jpg

Understood. I have listened to bits of it before, I will have to get the CD and get into it lot more.

Here is another such thing along the same lines, called Jalatharangam ( tuned water bowls). It is intriguing as well.

hotpicks2.jpg

Aw...you beat me to it. I was going to mention them too. :P

I have at least one CD of that music, if not more. I'll dig them out and scan the covers.

Himangshu Biswas & Dulal Roy - Jugalbandi (EMI-RPG CDNF 50153)

Flute & Jaltarang

no tabla player listed.

a Jugalbandi is a duet. To my ears, this sounds like Hindustani (North Indian) music.

A very cool sounding CD. :wub:

edited to add comments.

Edited by 7/4

Tabla Tarang sounds like a nice idea. Is it an ancient tradition, or a recent innovation? (Recent in the context of Indian classical music meaning "sometime in the last hundred years"...)

According to the Folkways book, "A rather recent innovation amongst the myrad Indian drums, the tabla tarang to first known to have existed as an instrument in Maharrashtra in the late 1800's..."

Still, I get the feeling it's quite a rare instrument.

• 3 years later...