Billy Gardner

Jazz Kat

I may be stretching my recollective abilities, but it seems to me Billy Gardner also made an appearance or two on piano with one of Dave Bailey's groups. Maybe on "One Foot in the Gutter" or "Two Feet in the Gutter." For what it's worth, I much prefer him on piano.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

I may be stretching my recollective abilities, but it seems to me Billy Gardner also made an appearance or two on piano with one of Dave Bailey's groups. Maybe on "One Foot in the Gutter" or "Two Feet in the Gutter." For what it's worth, I much prefer him on piano.

Up over and out.

Good memory, Dave. He's on Two Feet in the Gutter.

Man, those three Bailey LPs really cry out for a Mosaic Select!

Billy Gardner on piano ain't going to be worth the walk all that much. But Billy Gardner on the 3 George Braith albums is some of the best, most interesting and UNIQUE jazz organ ever played imho.

I love his bass line on Mary Had A Little Lamb. Seemed like a very talented player to me, that should of gotten more recognition.

Billy Gardner on piano ain't going to be worth the walk all that much.  But Billy Gardner on the 3 George Braith albums is some of the best, most interesting and UNIQUE jazz organ ever played imho.

I love his bass line on Mary Had A Little Lamb. Seemed like a very talented player to me, that should of gotten more recognition.

He died fairly young. In Chicago in the 70's I believe. GREAT organist and really unique in his settings and approach. He also plays Lou Donaldson's "Fried Buzzard" and Houston Person's "Truth", although his playing is more "generic" sounding on those dates than on the Braith stuff.

Didn't mean to dispute the "gutter" thing. Just that Billy wasn't doing much on that stuff to my ears, but like you said good albums.

He played extraduinary. Whenever I listen to Mary Ann from Two Souls In One, I always think I'm at the circus.

Hmmm. When people say jazz organ and circus in the same sentence, that's usually not a compliment. Some don't dig that organ sound(o.k, most), but as someone who has listened to a LOT of organ records, for myself, it sounds really good and unique. BG had his own thing going and that's hard to do on the B3, in the shadow of Jimmy Smith during his heyday.

• 4 years later...

Well, I'm pretty late to the Billy Gardner party. Vinyl hounds should keep an eye out for Rippin' & Runnin' by Johnny Hodges. It's a really nice album pairing Hodges with a young (as of 1968) rhythm section - Gardner (listed as Willie Gardner), Jimmy Ponder, Ron Carter, and Freddie Waits. I just picked this up yesterday and I'm diggin' it.

Edited to add a thanks to sidewinder for pointing me in the right direction to figure out the "Willie" and "Billy" Gardner were one and the same.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 11 years later...