Peter Bernstein

grey

I think that Peter Bernstein is very underrated. He doesn't even get his own entry in the AMG to Jazz. I saw him a number of times when I lived in NYC and thought back then that he had a future. His new CD, Heart's Content, on the Criss Cross label is highly recommended. It includes Peter Bernstein on guitar, Brad Mehldau on piano, Larry Grenadier on bass and Bill Stewart on drums. It is a nice swinging style that doesn't overwhelm or just rely on licks.

I was listening to this this morning on my car ride in to work and was going to get a thread started on this one. I like it a lot. Very nice straight ahead playing. Super band as well. I first heard him on a couple of Sam Yahel records on Naxos and he really impressed me. This is a nice disc to pick up if you like nice, straight ahead jazz guitar.

Peter is one of my favorite guitarists on the scene today. I've been listening to him a lot lately: Heart's Content, Trio, and the Bill Stewart Trio live @ Modern Drummer. The new one is good, but I haven't taken to it quite like I have his organ trio work. There's one solo - and I'll have to go back and check which tune - where he plays almost languidly throughout, never once going into double-time phrases. The tune itself was medium up. I thought that was interesting.

Joe and I saw him in Ann Arbor with Lou Donaldson back in the late 90s. With the Turbanator on organ. That was a BAD show! Peter tore it up. And the Dr. was outrageous as always. The drummer was from Chicago, but I forget his name. It wasn't the japanese cat that's usually with Lou.

I like Peter's Criss Cross records, too. He writes some very interesting tunes.

• 2 weeks later...

I first heard him as a member of the Larry Goldings Trio, 8 Cds so far plus some work they did as sidemen, and I dig every single one of them. He has a lot of Grant Green influence, too. A very nice beautifully rounded tone, swing, the will to try something different. I bet he will one of the main keepers of the jazz guitar flame for the next decades.