"Jazz Goes to the Cold War" on Night Lights

We're now posting programs on the Monday preceding broadcast, so there are two shows up this morning: the spring show "Let's Spring One," and "Jazz Goes to the Cold War," which will be broadcast next Saturday.

Night Lights archives

"Jazz Goes to the Cold War" is a program about the U.S. State Department's sponsorship of international jazz tours during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1956, as both the Cold War and the civil-rights movement heated up, the American government asked Dizzy Gillespie to assemble a new big band to promote the image of American freedom around the globe. Gillespie obliged, although he made it clear that he would not feel compelled to "promote racist policies." He was the first of a number of jazz artists to undertake such a tour, including Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, and Louis Armstrong. We'll hear music from all of those musicians (Ellington's FAR EAST SUITE, inspired by his 1963 State Department tour, Gillespie's live DIZZY IN SOUTH AMERICA V. 1, and Brubeck's THE REAL AMBASSADORS, a 1962 civil-rights musical that took an ironic look at bureaucratic sponsorship of jazz) and discuss Penny von Eschen's new book, SATCHMO BLOWS UP THE WORLD: JAZZ AMBASSADORS PLAY THE COLD WAR, now available from Harvard University Press:

satch.jpg

Believe it or not, this was one of the first program ideas I jotted down when I proposed Night Lights last summer... saw an ad for the von Eschen book in January and decided to get the show on the schedule pronto.

Next week: "Jazz Cameos," a program of pop-rock songs featuring jazz musicians as soloists. Curtis Amy with the Doors and Carole King, Don Cherry with Lou Reed (a 12-minute live version of "Heroin"), Hugh Masekela with the Byrds, and more...

Edited by ghost of miles

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, DatDere and Kinuta--glad you guys like the show. The "Jazz Goes to the Cold War" program will air tonight; we did have it online, but then decided we shouldn't be posting before broadcast (some uncertainty about whether or not that's allowed). It will post to the archives Monday afternoon, per the old routine. Tonight it's on at 11:05 p.m. (9:05 California time, 12:05 a.m. NYC time) on WFIU.

Next week: "Jazz Cameos," as alluded to above.

Edited by ghost of miles

Something's wrong with the ' Jazz Goes to The Cold War ' playlist.

It's a duplicate of the 'Spring ...' programme.

Kinuta,

The correct playlist should be up. I type them into the computer ahead of time and they automatically post after the show airs--however, there were problems with "Let's Spring One" and "Jazz Goes to the Cold War" because of the missed broadcast. Try this one.

Al, I'll pass your comments along to the engineering folk... behind-the-curtains folk that they are, they always appreciate nice feedback. B-)

Ghost, I just finished listening to "Jazz Goes to the Cold War" program and I REALLY enjoyed it! :tup:tup Thank you very much!

btw, wasn't the Benny Goodman 62 tour to the USSR part of those State Department tours?

WL, glad you enjoyed it... and yes, it was. I plan to do a sequel in the fall and hope to include the Goodman LP (I think Jim Sangrey's right in saying that it's never made it to CD), as well as Brubeck's JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF EURASIA and some material related to later tours (esp. Randy Weston's).