Tony Fruscella

Late

Is it just me, or does Fruscella consistently sound like what you'd expect a junkie to sound like if you didn't know what a junkie could sound like?

i don't exactly know how you mean that ... still: if I'd ask myself that question i'd answer it with yes (if you understand the difference... otherwise: yes i think so too)

besides: for me the Italian element which I imagine to hear is also an important building block in my fascination with Fruscella/Triglia (don't know if it is ironic or anything that Fruscella's ex wife Morgana King played in The Godfather long after his death...) and isn't "Tony Fruscella" just a beautiful name (and doesn't it already have a 10% junkie connotation in itself)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a UK London of this LP, Brownie. I don't think too many copies were pressed over here of this one back in the 1950s but it sounds superb - and is still near mint !

Not that many people were interested in checking out Fruscella when these came out.

The Japanese vinyl I have is an exact replica of the Atlantic original, even the black Atlantic labels are pretty close to the originals!

I have a UK London of this LP, Brownie. I don't think too many copies were pressed over here of this one back in the 1950s but it sounds superb - and is still near mint !

Not that many people were interested in checking out Fruscella when these came out.

The Japanese vinyl I have is an exact replica of the Atlantic original, even the black Atlantic labels are pretty close to the originals!

The UK London has the laminate cover and heavy gauge vinyl. Nice big sound to it !

• 2 months later...

I own two original copies of this one. There are two different editions : one with flat edge other with rounded ones. Can't really tell the sound difference. two diffretn covers, too : one has kakubuchi other not. This record is an all times greatest jazz session. I think that the Phil Sunkel's arrangement should not be forgotten. They fit prefectly with delicate sound of Fruscella. Sunkel recorded an arrangement session on ABC paramount, not famous, but very interesting. The drummer of Fruscella's session is Junior bradley, Will Bradley's son, who recorded as a leader for Epic, with Wade Lagge, Doug Watkins, Jack Montrose, and Sunkel. This music can be heard on the "House of Bradley" along with fathers' session. i like those obscure musicians and forgotten sessions !

The drummer of Fruscella's session is Junior bradley, Will Bradley's son, who recorded as a leader for Epic, with Wade Lagge, Doug Watkins, Jack Montrose, and Sunkel. This music can be heard on the "House of Bradley" along with fathers' session. i like those obscure musicians and forgotten sessions !

JR, not Jack.

I picked up The House of Bradley up a little while back. Sort of a listen to once and file in the basement for me. The Junior Bradley cuts are nice is a 50's swingin' kind of way the Will Bradley with Strings is a little too easy listening for my taste.

But the cover does in fact say Jack Montrose on Saxophone.

Edited by (BB)

The drummer of Fruscella's session is Junior bradley, Will Bradley's son, who recorded as a leader for Epic, with Wade Lagge, Doug Watkins, Jack Montrose, and Sunkel. This music can be heard on the "House of Bradley" along with fathers' session. i like those obscure musicians and forgotten sessions !

JR, not Jack.

On the cover it is spelled Jack Monterose. Not JR Monterose. I've listened to the session, and the saxophonist is probably Jack Montrose, not JR Monterose.

Edited by Michel

JR, not Jack.

On the cover it is spelled Jack Monterose. Not JR Monterose. I've listened to the session, and the saxophonist is probably Jack Montrose, not JR Monterose.

Michel, careful! You're stepping on the wrong people's shoes! It's J.R. Monterose - not Jack Montrose - on that Will Bradley Jr date.

The session is included in the Fresh Sound reissue 'Jaywalkin' by JR Monterose!

B00005NNRU.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

What albums should one turn to in order to hear Don Joseph?

the only one i have is chuck wayne's string fever and it is definitely recommended! nice little big band and a bunch of alternate takes on the Sundazed reissue, Joseph gets a number of solos... :tup

alternate take :

Edited by Michel

What albums should one turn to in order to hear Don Joseph?

the only one i have is chuck wayne's string fever and it is definitely recommended! nice little big band and a bunch of alternate takes on the Sundazed reissue, Joseph gets a number of solos... :tup

alternate take :

:D

Don Joseph is also heard on a 1954 Art Mardigan EP recorded for Mercury/EmArcy (with Milt Gold, Al Cohn, John Williams and Teddy Kotick). The date was reissued on a Japanese EmArcy vinyl 'Renditions' that reunited the Mardigan date and a Bill de Arango session (with the Williams, Kotick, Mardigan rhythm section).