"SWEETS" now available ...

garthsj

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week's "Verve" reissues are all worth picking up - not the usual fare! (The Edison may be the best of the bunch, but every one has something going for it.) The 'live" Joe Newman (with Oliver Nelson) was new to me.

so what reissue have come then, exept this one?

JB

This thread is almost two years old. Is SWEETS even still in print anymore?

This week's "Verve" reissues are all worth picking up - not the usual fare! (The Edison may be the best of the bunch, but every one has something going for it.) The 'live" Joe Newman (with Oliver Nelson) was new to me.

so what reissue have come then, exept this one?

JB

ah, I didn't see it had begun 2 years ago...

a lot can change in 2 years...

JB

I believe it is. You can order it new through Amazon (and probably CD Universe) and there are a bunch of used copies floating around. Inspired by this thread resurfacing, I will probably go pick it up this weekend. I've got the 2-CD set with The Soul of Ben Webster and the other Sweets-Webster session.

Harder to find, but well worth the effort, is Edison's 2-fer The Swinger and Mr. Swing. Great Sweets on this 2-disc set. Also has some fine contributions from Jimmy Forrest.

Walmart, of all places, still carries this Verve Master Edition ... :w

The Swinger and Mr. Swing was a Verve Elite. WalMart actually carries this????

I believe it is. You can order it new through Amazon (and probably CD Universe) and there are a bunch of used copies floating around. Inspired by this thread resurfacing, I will probably go pick it up this weekend. I've got the 2-CD set with The Soul of Ben Webster and the other Sweets-Webster session.

Same here. I'm glad this thread got revived.

In the vein of this thread, another hard-to-find swing trumpet package that Verve put together and reissued in 1996 is Swing Trumpet Kings. It contains work by Buck Clayton, Red Allen, and Roy Eldridge. 2 discs!

Verve was great, reissue-wise, in the early-to-mid-90's. It seems like those days are fading ... :(

In the vein of this thread, another hard-to-find swing trumpet package that Verve put together and reissued in 1996 is Swing Trumpet Kings. It contains work by Buck Clayton, Red Allen, and Roy Eldridge. 2 discs!

Verve was great, reissue-wise, in the early-to-mid-90's. It seems like those days are fading ... :(

The Swing Trumpet Kings was indeed hard to find, I tracked it down a couple of years ago at a Canadian online store whose name I've forgotten. Some nice playing on the Red Allen session too.

Currently The Swinger and Mr. Swing is going for a pretty high price (almost $50). I did discover that this is in the batch of Verve Vault releases that should be available thru iTunes, so I will probably go ahead and get it this way though I generally avoid iTunes where possible.

Curiously, Sweets is also listed with OOP Verve recordings, though there are still plenty of copies floating about.

Through iTunes it's $9.99, which isn't too bad considering there are 13 tracks. You'll get the cover of The Swinger rather than Mr. Swing after the download, but that's OK. Overall, I think the purchase is worth it for the music.

Weird that Sweetss is already being listed as OOP?

Through iTunes it's $9.99, which isn't too bad considering there are 13 tracks. You'll get the cover of The Swinger rather than Mr. Swing after the download, but that's OK. Overall, I think the purchase is worth it for the music.

Well, those LPRs only had a limited run to begin with. I don't have SWEETS in front of me, but each LPR indicated how long each one was going to be in print.

Well, those LPRs only had a limited run to begin with. I don't have SWEETS in front of me, but each LPR indicated how long each one was going to be in print.

March '08, so it was supposed to be around another year. This is especially strange considering that many of these have been avaialble well past their "expiration date". I just picked up about a dozen of supposedly OOP titles the other day, all in one shop.

March '08, so it was supposed to be around another year. This is especially strange considering that many of these have been avaialble well past their "expiration date".

Hmmm.... interesting. I forgot about that, but you're right.