Jazz Clubs/CD Shopping - Manila, Philippines?

Well, after trying to avoid it for the last few months, I am finally going to have to fly over to visit a manufacturing facility over near Manila next week. I had to plan it over a weekend but I have no idea what the scene is like over there. Anyone on the board know the Manila scene? Are there any Jazz clubs? Any good used CD shops? Good place for Japanese CDs?

I'm leaving 6/24 and returning 7/3. I better bring a lot of books. Hey, at least I can bring that new Harry Potter book.

Later,

Kevin

Kevin, I have friends from Manila. Not really jazz fans, but I'll see what suggestions they have.

That's great! If you hear from them, let me know. I leave Tuesday but I hope to have access to the 'net throughout the week. I hope there's at least one Jazz club so next weekend isn't a total loss.

Later,

Kevin

Kevin, will you be staying in Makati? One of my best friends owns a few bars there which are worth checking out. Just ask the taxi to take you to "Mogambo" on P. Burgos Street. Ask if Nigel is around and say that John in Tokyo recommended you visit. No jazz, but pretty good music and food, not to mention a lot of friendly waitresses, or as they like to be called GRO's (guest relations officers).

As for CD's, there is a Tower records in the Ayala Center in Makati which probably has good prices.

Kevin, will you be staying in Makati? One of my best friends owns a few bars there which are worth checking out. Just ask the taxi to take you to "Mogambo" on P. Burgos Street. Ask if Nigel is around and say that John in Tokyo recommended you visit. No jazz, but pretty good music and food, not to mention a lot of friendly waitresses, or as they like to be called GRO's (guest relations officers).

As for CD's, there is a Tower records in the Ayala Center in Makati which probably has good prices.

John, I am staying at the Shagri La at Makati... "Shangri La"... what a name! I hear it's the American hotel in the area. I don't know about you, but right now, staying in a place that screams American might not be the best thing. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the tip about your friend's club. I'll definitely check it out. A Tower Records too?? Now that's good news! They must have a lot of Japanese CDs in there. :D Now, I just gotta find a used CD shop.

Later,

Kevin

Well, here I am on my third day over in steamy Manila. I can't wait to go home. Sooo tired.

Anyway, here I am, 4 hours by plane from Japan, and I go into some CD shops, including Tower, and they all carry US versions! Weirdest thing. I've bought a lot of Japanese CDs in Taiwan and I figured this place would be like that.

BTW, I'm being told that most CDs in the stores around here are probably bootlegs. Since I just saw a DVD of "Finding Nemo" and it's still playing in the movie theaters, I suppose that shouldn't surprise me. :)

In the Tower around the corner from me, they have two copies of the US version of "Little Johnny C". Is that as hard to find as it used to be?

Later,

Kevin