Unheard Music Series

Late

We have threads for the Free America series, the BYG/Actuel series, and the various ESP reissue series ... so I thought this series would fit right in. Just yesterday, I listened to this one straight through:

R-1114932-1440699488-3418.jpeg.jpg

I had forgotten what a terrific session this is — with Brötzmann in one of his earliest Ayler-esque modes. But, more than that, Schlippenbach has a way of changing up the proceedings (blow-out, swing, minimal, etc.) that adds a variety to the session that one doesn't always hear in contemporaneous American recordings of this kind.

What are your favorites from this series? (How's the Funky Donkey disc?)

Edited by Late
refreshed album cover art image

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few of my favorites...

Anderson - Dark Day + Live In Verona, Milwaukee Tapes Vol. 1

Brötzmann - FMP130, Fuck DeBore, More Nipples, Balls, ...hell, all the Brötzmann's are great!

McPhee - Nation Time

von Schlippenbach - Pakastani Pomade

Mount Everest Trio - Waves Of Albert Ayler ... this one came out of left field for me, a great surprise.

Here's the list of upcoming UMS release for 2005...

The Contemporary Jazz Quintet: Actions 1966-'67 reissue (ums250cd)

Sirone (featuring Sirone/Charles/Lawrence): Sirone Live (ums253cd)

Last Exit (featuring Brötzmann/Jackson/Laswell/Sharrock): Köln reissue (ums252cd)

Brötzmann/Bennink: Schwarzwaldfahrt (FMP Archive Reissue- ums254cd)

Dieter Scherf Trio: Inside-Outside Reflections (ums255cd)

Joe McPhee: Pieces of Light reissue (ums256cd)

Brötzmann/Sharrock: title tba (ums257cd)

edited for typos

Edited by blake

blake said:
Mount Everest Trio - Waves Of Albert Ayler ... this one came out of left field for me, a great surprise.

MI0000273792.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This is a great one. (I think there's a thread on this album somewhere here.)

This one will be interesting to check out ~

contemporar_actions19_101b.jpg

Musical saw? OK, I'll go there ...

Edited by Late

(How's the Funky Donkey disc?)

Funky. I'd call it "avant-funk" for lack of a better term. I really enjoy this album, but haven't listened to it in a long time.

A good one! :tup

This one's a favourite of mine:

mental_cruelty250.jpg

Mental Cruelty (The 1960 Jazz Soundtrack)

(UMS238CD) $13.00 

In 1960, an astonishing jazz ensemble was convened by Swiss pianist George Gruntz to create a soundtrack for the Hannes Schmidhauser film MENTAL CRUELTY. The group included bebop innovator Kenny "Klook" Clarke on drums and Belgian saxophonist Barney Wilen, two of the most swinging and sensitive musicians on the planet.

Though the dark, lyrical, mysterious soundtrack was initially released on a 10-inch EP, legal difficulties led to its being recalled, and the few copies that were sold became incredibly valuable collectors items. Now, for the first time, the session is issued in its full glory, including several previously unreleased tracks.

Actions 1966-1967 is really great; just got it. Like Ayler quartet plus Terje Rypdal (that's how the saw sounds). Dig the 2CD set of TCJQ on Steeplechase, too, which reissues two Debut LPs including one with Sunny Murray. Awesome and intense as well.

I like More Nipples a bit better, actually, than Nipples - the Bailey-Niebergall-Bennink trio that starts off the disc is stunning. The Hazevoet records are great, too, though they don't get much notice.

The Sirone is a nice record, but Artistry (his first) kills.

I like it quite a bit; I know I keep using this, but it has that Ayler-esque Euro vibe that was happening in the mid-60s. Hazevoet's clarinet is ridiculous, as a matter of fact. Lots of wide vibrato and wooly soloing over fractured, but regular timekeeping. Much more 'listenable' than Unlawful Noise, as it stands, and both have beautiful covers.

Calling Down the Flevo Spirit (Snipe, 1978), duos with Han Bennink, I haven't got as into, but they do amuse.

Edited by clifford_thornton

One I like that hasn't been mentioned is Tern by Louis Moholo/Keith Tippett/Larry Stabbins. Good stuff.

What's with the Hamid Drake backlash? I know he gets praised to the skies in many quarters, so he could arguably be called "overrated", but he sure doesn't suck!

Hazevoet's clarinet is ridiculous, as a matter of fact.

Is Hazevoet primarily a pianist? (On the clarinet: ridiculous good, or ridiculous suck?) And trumpet?

I'll probably have to get the thing just to find out ... this series is generally down my alley anyway.

The Tom Prehn Kvartet album is one of my faves from this series. Understated avant-garde, if that makes any sense. Very nicely controlled.

One FMP title that I'd like to see make this series (and that I've actually written Corbett about) is Rüdiger Carl's Zwei Quintette. I don't even have a listening copy right now — used to, but on a very unfortunate (and hot) day ... the thing got warped out of all control. Anyone here know this side? Has Irène Schweizer on it.

Ok, the Atavistic disc reissues Dodd's classic 1946 Folkways recordings and includes 20 1954 pieces by two rural brass bands that first came out on a Folkways LP entitled "Music from The South". These brass band cuts are beyond "primitive". It's truly like hearing something from another universe.

That's all I'm going to say (hell, that's all I can say, really), other than that the Dodds material is essential, the liner essay about the brass band stuff is pretty damn interesting, and that the Country Brass Band material will fuck you up big time.

Other than that, you're on your own. ;)

Ok, the Atavistic disc reissues Dodd's classic 1946 Folkways recordings and includes 20 1954 pieces by two rural brass bands that first came out on a Folkways LP entitled "Music from The South". These brass band cuts are beyond "primitive". It's truly like hearing something from another universe.

That's all I'm going to say (hell, that's all I can say, really), other than that the Dodds material is essential, the liner essay about the brass band stuff is pretty damn interesting, and that the Country Brass Band material will fuck you up big time.

Other than that, you're on your own. ;)

I'm checking out the samples on cduniverse right now. It's....um. Jim's review is fairly accurate. I think the trombone player (at least, I think that's a trombone, though it sounds a little like a buzzsaw) only learned how to play one note. At the time of this recording he was evidently still working on getting that one in tune...

edit: Please tell me that's at least a trombone and not a tenor saxophone. Please. I'm starting to lean toward it being a bass washboard.

Edited by Big Wheel

I think the trombone player (at least, I think that's a trombone, though it sounds a little like a buzzsaw) only learned how to play one note. At the time of this recording he was evidently still working on getting that one in tune...

Ah, but here's the thing - I have no reason whatsoever to believe that that player, nor any of the others, were "trying" to do anything other than exactly what they were doing!