Unheard Music Series

Late

Up,

Dig this series a lot. Just nabbed a copy of Globe Unity Orchestra 67-70 and man what a great disk. A surprise was that Thomaz Stanko was on one of these sessions; never pegged him to be a free stylist!

Some of my favorites:

George Gruntz-Mental Cruelty-great one!

Brotz-FMP 0130

Brotz-Alarm

Brotz-Pica Pica

Brotz-For Adolphe Sax

Brotz-Nipples

Brotz-More Nipples

Brotz-Fuck De Boere

Moholo/Stabbins/Tippett-Tern

Haaz and Company-Unlawful Noise

Steve Beresford/Tristan Honsinger-Double Indemnity

Dieter Scherf Trio-Inside/Outside

Sven-Ake Johansson-Schlingerland/dynamische Schwingungen

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have the Gruntz or the Beresford. Both look interesting.

UMS certainly do a good job, though I wish more of it was actually "previously unreleased" (like the GUO 67-70, for example, which is real fine). I have a lot of this stuff on vinyl, and these reissues rarely contain extra tracks. In fact, some of them were promised to contain additional material that never, uh, materialized.

I don't have the Gruntz or the Beresford. Both look interesting.

UMS certainly do a good job, though I wish more of it was actually "previously unreleased" (like the GUO 67-70, for example, which is real fine). I have a lot of this stuff on vinyl, and these reissues rarely contain extra tracks. In fact, some of them were promised to contain additional material that never, uh, materialized.

Agree. Last Exit's Koln being the case. This was released on cd, ie ITM originally. Brotz's Machine Gun (which baffles me, has the FMP gone OOP?) being another case.

• 2 years later...

Just picked up this one tonight:

2698949038_707a3596e2_o.jpg

Wow, I'm gonna have to look into that more based on the samples I just heard. I really want to hear more of what comes after second number thirty on a lot of those tunes.

In fact, I might have to revisit the Unheard Music Series. Aside from the excellent Gruntz/"Mental Cruelty", I didn't much care for a lot of what I heard in that series. Perhaps my ears are ready to come around on some of that music now.

Thanks for the reason to give them another chance.

• 4 years later...

The Steeplechase reissue (Stefan posted an image above) is invaluable. The TCJQ had to have been the first band to incorporate what Ayler was doing into their own group sound. Not that Beckerlee was simply an epigone (well, maybe he was) — you can also hear some Tchicai in his solos, as well as a more personalized approach to dynamics and space, but the Ayler influence is pervasive and powerful.

I actually like the UMS reissue a little more than the Steeplechase, if only for the presence of Niels Harrit and his saw. I wonder if any Americans heard this band with Harrit in it — the TCJQ were, if not ahead of their time, certainly very forward-looking.

There's also this record (reissued by Steeplechase) that fits right in:

R-2559827-1290446847.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Late

• 4 years later...

This series had 70 issues (mostly CDs; others were digital files, a book, and a DVD). Looking over the discogs list, I realized that this title:

R-2345658-1448716900-7953.jpeg.jpg

... completely flew under my radar. I'm listening to it on YouTube right now. So far, it's quite good! Anyone here already own this one?

1 hour ago, Late said:

This series had 70 issues (mostly CDs; others were digital files, a book, and a DVD). Looking over the discogs list, I realized that this title:

R-2345658-1448716900-7953.jpeg.jpg

... completely flew under my radar. I'm listening to it on YouTube right now. So far, it's quite good! Anyone here already own this one?

Yes, this one is really good. The whole series was great. 

2 hours ago, Late said:

And you can currently purchase a download of this album:

R-2072467-1551296675-6538.png.jpg

for $2.97.

Nice one! I’ve had this on CD for 15+ years, iirc. Recorded at a church somewhere in St. Louis (I grew up outside of St. Louis), and I’ve meant to try and track down the exact church, which I imagine is still around (or the building, anyway). Free-jazz with a bit of a “James Brown’s rhythm section” kind of feel. Recommended! 👍🏾

On 4/16/2005 at 0:02 PM, Late said:

hazevo_kees_pleasure~_101b.jpg

Listened to this disc yesterday. Some of the best Louis Moholo drumming on record. (The liner notes go to some length discussing Hazevoet's search for the "right" drummer.) This is free jazz worth returning to because of its variety of texture; it's not just a blow-out free for all.

Today, Dieter Scherf's Inside-Outside Reflections is in the queue. (One of the odd perks of social distancing is going back through the collection and re-discovering gems. I've currently been going through my UMS discs as well as Bach cantatas.)