Horace Tapscott

John B

2 hours ago, John L said:

I think the reason might be rather simple.  Volumes 1-7 correspond to a time when Nimbus West was not marketing CDs.  I believe that volume 8, as well as subsequent volumes, were issued on CD right away.   

That makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, weren't all the volumes recorded digitally (DDD)?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Late said:

That makes sense. If I'm not mistaken, weren't all the volumes recorded digitally (DDD)?

I don't think that they all could be DDD as the recording sessions go back to 1982.  

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

I made my own CD set years ago, after I bought the LPs

Back in the 90s, some of us at the Jazz Corner Discussion Board went in on a "Horace Tapscott Internet Box" with the primary goal of putting volumes 1-7 on CD.

On 2/22/2022 at 7:50 PM, John L said:

I don't think that they all could be DDD, as the recording sessions go back to 1982.

ZWc.jpeg

The back of Volume 1 states: "The recording equipment digital" [sic]. I assume that means a digital recording, but you never know for sure, I suppose.

At any rate, I just purchased compact discs for Vol.s 8 & 11—two volumes I haven't heard yet. Looking forward!

27 minutes ago, Late said:

ZWc.jpeg

The back of Volume 1 states: "The recording equipment digital" [sic]. I assume that means a digital recording, but you never know for sure, I suppose.

At any rate, I just purchased compact discs for Vol.s 8 & 11—two volumes I haven't heard yet. Looking forward!

I ordered those same two discs two days ago! DG has been offering a lot of Tapscott Nimbus West CDs for $9.99, and I've bought a total of eight. 

• 1 year later...

Very intriguing recording on this new Pan Afrikan People's Akrestra retrospective LP. A ca. 1961 recording of a Tapscott small group with this lineup. On a cursory listen it certainly does sound like it could be Jimmy Woods, but I'd wonder if anyone here could make a more positive ID:

Arthur Blythe - Sax
Jimmy Woods or Guido Sinclair - Sax
Lester Robertson - Trombone
Horace Tapscott - Piano
David Bryant - Bass
Bill Madison - Drums
*This configuration is a likely band based on existing information

https://panafrikanpeoplesarkestra.bandcamp.com/track/the-golden-pearl

57 minutes ago, colinmce said:

Very intriguing recording on this new Pan Afrikan People's Akrestra retrospective LP. A ca. 1961 recording of a Tapscott small group with this lineup. On a cursory listen it certainly does sound like it could be Jimmy Woods, but I'd wonder if anyone here could make a more positive ID:

Arthur Blythe - Sax
Horace Tapscott - Piano
David Bryant - Bass
Bill Madison - Drums

Really fascinating!  Thanks.  That is the earliest Tapscott or Blythe that I have heard.  

3 hours ago, colinmce said:

Arthur Blythe - Sax
Horace Tapscott - Piano
David Bryant - Bass
Bill Madison - Drums

"Taken from a compilation of recordings from 1961-2 in Horace Tapscott's archive"

I presume the other 5 titles on this 2LP set are from the same time period (61-62)

What's the label behind this?

11 hours ago, romualdo said:

"Taken from a compilation of recordings from 1961-2 in Horace Tapscott's archive"

I presume the other 5 titles on this 2LP set are from the same time period (61-62)

What's the label behind this?

No, it's a bit confusing, you have to click through on each track to see when it's from-- the other tracks on the set are from 1971, 1981, 1995, 2009, and 2019.

The label is The Village, same one that did the Tapscott/Session LP and recent PAPA 12"

1 hour ago, colinmce said:

No, it's a bit confusing, you have to click through on each track to see when it's from-- the other tracks on the set are from 1971, 1981, 1995, 2009, and 2019.

But Tapscott passed in 1999.  Are those copyright/release dates rather than performance dates?

11 minutes ago, felser said:

But Tapscott passed in 1999.  Are those copyright/release dates rather than performance dates?

No, the Arkestra has still played consistently since his passing as a community organization of sorts, so he's certainly not there but in spirit.

27 minutes ago, colinmce said:

No, the Arkestra has still played consistently since his passing as a community organization of sorts, so he's certainly not there but in spirit.

Got it, I didn't realize that, thanks for the clarification!  Will give a listen to the samples and see if I make one of my rare exceptions of paying for downloads.