Who here has been on a record?

Hardbopjazz

I am on a handful of CDs: The Dallas Jazz Orchestra, a couple of salsa bands, a couple western swing CDs (one, a tribute to Cindy Walker with Leon Rausch), a couple locally produced lite-jazz efforts (me as a sideman there strictly for the $) and my own 'limited press self produced' cd with Dave Liebman which I am most proud of.

All in all, maybe 8 or 9.

I am on one vinyl LP, but that was with the UNT One O Clock ('81).

I played classical guitar, electric guitar, bass guitar, keyboard and drum machine on a Book On Tape. I played a Fernado Sor piece on classical guitar, an electric blues piece on electric guitar, bass, keyboard and drum machine and finally a heavy metal thing on guitar, bass and drum machine. The blues and metal things constructed on the fly.

Three hours in the studio and they used about 30 seconds of each to make it sound like a radio being tuned first by a lady in her kitchen then by the leader of a gang that broke into the her house and finally to the metal thing when they raped and killed her.

Not a Jazz album but it was fun.

I'm on 4 CD's by the University of Northern Iowa Jazz Band One dating from 1994-1998. They were released by the school, so no label. Don't know if they are still in print. I also play (drums) on a track on a promo EP by House of Large Sizes, a now defunct, but kick-ass rock trio from Cedar Falls, IA. They had many albums on indie labels (W.A.R?, etc.) but did release one disc on Red Decibel/Columbia. Sadly out of print. Good friends and a great band.

Some small independant recordings for not-very-much-money-but-kind-of-fun things: keys for a funk band, pop band, jazz fusion band, accompanying a few vain and misguided jazz vocalists, etc. No illusions here.

Also, now that I recall: electro-acoustic recording for the CBC, soundtrack for education video for large art gallery, 13 episode sound-track for a kid's detective show on YTV, boogie-piano for a book show on TVO.

In 2003 I played bass on a private release by The Gadjo Playboys, a local Django style band. Also, 7 or 8 years ago I was on a bluegrass session, a private release cassette by Billy Lee Cox and the Mason Dixon Grass, a regional band that was very popular at that time. There are some thousands of those floating around the PA-MD-DE area.

Unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to record any straight jazz sessions other than a very old demo with the regular trio that I play with locally. None of us thinks it's very good anymore, but there doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to upgrade either.

Edited by Pete B

My old band has 2 studio releases, 1 live release, and is on 3 compilation albums (one song on each recording - one Japanese release of west coast bands, a radio station benefit CD, and one more compilation not celebrating anything). New band has two releases (though the recordings are by one person, I am in the live version of the band - so I'm not on those releases.)

• 2 weeks later...

In the late '90s my band had a song on a compilation CD of winners of Musician Magazine's Best Unsigned Band Contest.

We also put out a CD on our own label, called It Must Be Jelly (the label, not the CD). The CD was called "File Under: Popadelic Funk'n'Roll." We sold it at gigs and online.

We also made a video that was shown on a Swedish digital interactive television network (a friend ran the station). If you liked a video you could order the CD by clicking your remote. We actually sold a few in Sweden that way! Without airplay or press, the only way a buyer could have known about us was through seeing the video the 8 or 9 times it was shown at off-peak hours. I have this fantasy scenario in my mind of a drunken, suicidal Swede catching us in the wee small hours and finding a new reason to live, then buying the CD as a memento.

I can dream, can't I?

Some of the albums where I'm in the audience applauding (at the end of tunes):

- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers at Club Saint-Germain des Pres (RCA)

- John Coltrane 'Live in Antibes, 1965' (Esoldun), the Salle Pleyel tracks

- Cecil Taylor 'Nuits de la Fondation Maeght' (Shandar)

- Albert Ayler 'Lorrach/Paris 1966' (HatArt) the Salle Pleyel concert

- Miles Davis 'No Blues' (JMY)

I've made a few recordings under my name, self produced and with larger companies - interesting thing, however: on the one"major" label I was on (for jazz), Enja, I received the least payment, or, in other words, I was ripped off the most. Made more money doing my own things - Enja never paid me for the Euro publishing.

I've been on twelve records altogether, not including some session work on the side. None of it has anything to do with jazz (not really).

To this day I receive a substantial amount of money regularly and, to be quite honest, without that money I couldn't afford many things I'm interested in.

The six labels I have been involved with have gone out of their way (and believe me, that is exactly the way to describe what they have done these past years and decades) to ensure that I get what's mine, despite the fact that contracts were written up to ensure that I could avoid tax and legal problems I could have encountered as a) a minor for some and b) a foreigner with only "half" a legal work permit for most of the recordings.

I have nothing but praise for the labels I have been involved with (which have, in some cases, been sold since, have merged with global players, etc.) and although they could have cut me off from this income stream, the changing management has in each and every case made sure that I'm not ripped off. Reading around on this and other boards gives me the distinct feeling that I'm the lucky one of a few.

Edited by neveronfriday

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the albums where I'm in the audience applauding (at the end of tunes):

- Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers at Club Saint-Germain des Pres (RCA)

- John Coltrane 'Live in Antibes, 1965' (Esoldun), the Salle Pleyel tracks

- Cecil Taylor 'Nuits de la Fondation Maeght' (Shandar)

- Albert Ayler 'Lorrach/Paris 1966' (HatArt) the Salle Pleyel concert

- Miles Davis 'No Blues' (JMY)

WOW!!!! :excited::excited::excited::blink: ...i wish to say "had the pleasure to saw/heard Coltrane blowin' live...."

ok...you're almost 40yrs older than me.... :w

:ph34r: