Lou Donaldson's "The Scorpion"

Soul Stream

Jurgen, since the issued CD of "The Scorpion" only has 6 tracks total, I'm curious as to what tracks are listed as being recorded that day....?

The CD is recorded live at The Cadillac Club in Newark, New Jersey on November 7, 1970. The issued tracks on the 1995 Rare Grooves CD issue are:

The Scorpion

Laura

Alligator Boogaloo

The Masquerade is Over

Peepin'

Footpattin' Time

Set 1

1 Foot tappin' time CD

2 The scorpion (alt.) *CD

3 I'll be there R

4 Bye bye blackbird R

5 Brother soul (theme) R

Set 2

6 Turn it on (Leon's tune) R

7 Untitled bossa nova R

8 Untitled blues (vo LD) R

9 Funky mama R

10 Laura CD

11 This is happines R

12 Brother soul (theme) R

Set 3

13 Alligator boogaloo CD

14 The scorpion CD

15 I'll be there R

16 Bye bye blackbird U

17 Turn it on R

18 This is happiness R

19 Peepin' CD

20 The masquerade is over CD

CD: 8-31876-2

*CD: 8-31883-2

Jürgen

I'm having trouble understanding why selections from a live recording would be rejected vs unissued. I would guess that if they are playing a live gig the songs must have been acceptable at some level. I can't imagine that the band could have flubbed them so badly given that they were part of the band's live repertoire and included in the performance that night.

What am I missing:

Sound issues?

Crowd noise?

False starts?

I think acceptable on a "gig" level, and acceptable on a recording level are two different things from the record company's pov. That said, I would KILL to have the complete recording of this. The total rarity of this sort of live BN quality organ stuff from such a masterful working band is enough make it worth the while.

Think about it... there's no live Patton stuff, no live Lou Donaldson BN-era soul jazz organ stuff except this (Live Buzzard's sound and band can't compete with the Scorpion.)

Hearing the Scorpion is like "being" in a funky Newark organ bar in 1970. To have the complete 3 sets of this would be a real slice of history...not to mention a typical night with the best organ band playing in 1970, Lou Donaldson's.

Yeah, Leon Spencer Jr.....plus Idris Muhammed, Lou, Melvin Sparks and an obscure, but really nice, trumpet player.

Well recorded live organ gigs, especially from this late in the heyday, are almost non existent. Making "The Scorpion" all the more enjoyable.

Is there any way to hear the total gig? Obviously Michael Cuscuna has it as does probably Bob Beldon since he also produced the session for reissue.

I wonder if Kevin B. could possibley talk to Michael C. about it?