Spotted: Cheap Mosaic Selects

For $7 discount, I'd probably go direct with Mosaic as well.

Indeed. I admit to buying some of these "hot," loose, and often partial Mosaics - heck, it's what got me hooked on the company in the first place, like some gateway drug B-) - but I usually only pick them up at around $5-6/disc. Much more than that and I'd just assume shell out full price to Mosaic. It's also allowed me to get sets that I never would have otherwise, like the Four Freshmen or the Bobby Hackett.

Kevin:

I'm just not sure why that is for you to decide? (Well, I guess it is...but I guess our politics differ, which is completely fine).

Shouldn't all you be concerned about is the seller's Ebay feedback? I bought the Gordon Select from this guy and it arrived no problem.

I know we all love Mosaic here, but as Hans somewhat alluded to, it is kind of disheartening to pay extra shipping and wait longer (in some cases, months) for these sets.

I'm not a big believer in buying incomplete sets, but the fact of the matter is if the product fits the description you are looking for, shouldn't that be all that ultimately matters? Remember you are using a legitimate third party to purchase these products.

Edited by undergroundagent

Another thing - possibly a "clue" - at least when it comes to partial Mosaic sets. I've noticed with the partials that there's often a defect with the packaging: cracked jewel cases, miscut covers, etc. (in addition to, uh, not having all the discs included). I've often thought that these partials were "rejects" unfit for sale through regular channels. That, of course, doesn't explain the Selects.

Not one -- but SIX complete, separate copies of the Dinah Washington set (maybe more, perhaps some have already been purchased??) -- and all of them still sealed. No way that could be anything other than theft of some sort.

And that being the case, then the origin of all the multiple-copies of the Selects this seller has are all suspect as well. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Kevin,

Do you know if there's a story behind the Universal-distributed Tal Farlow Mosaic sets being widely sold in the US for half--or less than half--of Mosaic's price? If there's anything improper about it, it seems to me that Mosaic would want to get that story out.

Ron

Shouldn't all you be concerned about is the seller's Ebay feedback? I bought the Gordon Select from this guy and it arrived no problem.

This is not related to my reasons for not buying these sets. As I said, these sets are taking revenue from Mosaic. Sure, someone else will probably buy the set that I decide not to buy but then if Mosaic goes out of business, I won't have to wonder if I was "part of the problem".

Look, I can only do what I think is right for me. You do what you want. My only reason for posting to this thread in the first place was simply to let people know that these are not legit. People can choose to buy them or not.

Kevin

Kevin,

Do you know if there's a story behind the Universal-distributed Tal Farlow Mosaic sets being widely sold in the US for half--or less than half--of Mosaic's price? If there's anything improper about it, it seems to me that Mosaic would want to get that story out.

Ron

I can call them about it someday when I get a chance but didn't I read somewhere that these non-Mosaic Farlow sets are from Europe? If this is true and they are from Europe, then sure, they're technically illegal in the US because Mosaic holds the exclusive rights to sell this set here. BTW, Mosaic still makes money off those sets too. I think the only reason they are cheaper here in the US right now is because of the strong Euro.

This scenario is nowhere near what's happening with these LA-area dealers. The European Farlow sets are legit, just not being sold where they're supposed to be sold. Not apples to apples.

Kevin

I think the only reason they are cheaper here in the US right now is because of the strong Euro.

The other Verve/Mosaic sets available through regular European retail channels are priced just like you would expect them to be. It is only the Farlow that goes this cheap. Almost as if someone at Universal decided the warehouse got too expensive and it was time to dump these big black boxes.

Kevin,

Do you know if there's a story behind the Universal-distributed Tal Farlow Mosaic sets being widely sold in the US for half--or less than half--of Mosaic's price?  If there's anything improper about it, it seems to me that Mosaic would want to get that story out.

Ron

I can call them about it someday when I get a chance but didn't I read somewhere that these non-Mosaic Farlow sets are from Europe? If this is true and they are from Europe, then sure, they're technically illegal in the US because Mosaic holds the exclusive rights to sell this set here. BTW, Mosaic still makes money off those sets too. I think the only reason they are cheaper here in the US right now is because of the strong Euro.

This scenario is nowhere near what's happening with these LA-area dealers. The European Farlow sets are legit, just not being sold where they're supposed to be sold. Not apples to apples.

Kevin

Thanks. I'd be curious to know what you find out.

Incidentally, I bought one of these sets, and everything in it is marked as made in the US. I would have thought that, like other European issues of US titles/labels, it would have been much cheaper to produce these in Europe if they were intended exclusively for European distribution. :blink:

It is only the Farlow that goes this cheap. Almost as if someone at Universal decided the warehouse got too expensive and it was time to dump these big black boxes.

Almost certainly what has happened. They sold a bunch, pressed another batch (or maybe, unlike Mosaic, they ordered more than a single "batch" in the first place), then decided to purge the warehouse. Happens all the time. Doesn't mean it's a cutout or now oop, but when this "discounted" batch is sold out from the Amazon sellers it will likely be back at full price from the Euro distributers.