Lars Gullin

Victor Christensen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just happened to notice this. Any thoughts? Looks pretty interesting - even if I don't particularly like giving my money to these guys. My guess is this stuff would never see the light of day otherwise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P12ENJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWGVUBQZ9J0TW

I think this has all been previously released on LG's Dragon & Sonet CDs

Just happened to notice this. Any thoughts? Looks pretty interesting - even if I don't particularly like giving my money to these guys. My guess is this stuff would never see the light of day otherwise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P12ENJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWGVUBQZ9J0TW

I think this has all been previously released on LG's Dragon & Sonet CDs

You're right, I'm sure. I'll need to investigate further. Thanks

It's not all, I have 18 CD's under his name and about 5 or 6 others that is not under his name, the Dragon series alone is 11 CD's.

BTW are any of you using the Cattrax filing system ?, unfortunetaly can't you buy it anymore. I have my whole collection recorded in it by it's other name

Platearkivet, i have spend several hundred of hours doing it.

Vic

• 1 year later...

Being late to the party I`m just enjoying the artistry of Lars Gullin.

Do have - beneath his two Atlantic releases - Dragon CD Vol. 8 "Danny`s Dream" and Vol. 9 "Summertime"

I would appreciate any guidance/personal faves/advices reg. individual volumes of the Dragon Lars Gullin series (U`m still missing). Thnx in advance.

I think you would enjoy ANY and each of the Dragon volumes, so getting them as you see them would work. There's a new release that I find very good, "Liquid Moves of Lars Gullin" which has live performances from different time periods, later than we usually hear Gullin, and they're very good. I also really enjoy "Portrait of my Pals," which has very good compositions, arrangements and playings, as well as great sound.

3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I think you would enjoy ANY and each of the Dragon volumes, so getting them as you see them would work. There's a new release that I find very good, "Liquid Moves of Lars Gullin" which has live performances from different time periods, later than we usually hear Gullin, and they're very good. I also really enjoy "Portrait of my Pals," which has very good compositions, arrangements and playings, as well as great sound.

Thanks Lon for your speedy feedback - thought about the Sonorama "Liquid ...." too .... still as I`m not generally a completist, could you name the one or other Dragon CD you `re digging .... especially .... ?

I confess it's hard to mention favorites as even a few that didn't "grab" me at first have become great listens. Vol. 1 has the benefit of a session with Chet Baker that includes Dick Twardzik. . . that does make that volume special. Vol. 5 has nice octet material with Ericson and Persson that I like a lot. Those stand out just a bit more than some of the others (as you know Vol. 8 is really good too, like the Dawson drumming). 

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

I confess it's hard to mention favorites as even a few that didn't "grab" me at first have become great listens. Vol. 1 has the benefit of a session with Chet Baker that includes Dick Twardzik. . . that does make that volume special. Vol. 5 has nice octet material with Ericson and Persson that I like a lot. Those stand out just a bit more than some of the others (as you know Vol. 8 is really good too, like the Dawson drumming). 

Thnx again Lon ..... and even more feedback from other forum members would still come much appreciated ....

Ok, well I've got all of the Dragons and would echo Lon's appraisal that they're all excellent. 

The more recently mastered Volumes have slightly better sound and better notes. My picks would be Danny's Dream Vol 5 , for the title tune and After Eight Vol 11 for the flower septet pieces - heard in vastly improved sound compared to the Collectibles CD. 

Get them all and then try to find the wonderful Anagram discs issued under Gullin's name, Harry Backlund and Rolf Billberg. All feature great Gullin largely from the mid Sixties . Sound of these can be challenging but is ALWAYS worth it!

2 hours ago, Clunky said:

Ok, well I've got all of the Dragons and would echo Lon's appraisal that they're all excellent. 

The more recently mastered Volumes have slightly better sound and better notes. My picks would be Danny's Dream Vol 5 , for the title tune and After Eight Vol 11 for the flower septet pieces - heard in vastly improved sound compared to the Collectibles CD. 

Get them all and then try to find the wonderful Anagram discs issued under Gullin's name, Harry Backlund and Rolf Billberg. All feature great Gullin largely from the mid Sixties . Sound of these can be challenging but is ALWAYS worth it!

Thnx for you feedback  ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.6.2017 at 6:32 PM, soulpope said:

..... and even more feedback from other forum members would still come much appreciated ....

I cannot add to what others said of the Dragon CD series as I have only one of them to fill specific gaps (I already had three of the four Gullin LPs on Dragon - the Moretone Singers are less essential to me - as well as the old Metronome 2-LPs sets which got me started on Gullin etc.) but another session you might like to get (no idea if it is part of the Dragon CD series) are teh January, 1956 recordings with Lee Konitz and Hans Koller done for the (Italian) Carisch label.

1 hour ago, Big Beat Steve said:

I cannot add to what others said of the Dragon CD series as I have only one of them to fill specific gaps (I already had three of the four Gullin LPs on Dragon - the Moretone Singers are less essential to me - as well as the old Metronome 2-LPs sets which got me started on Gullin etc.) but another session you might like to get (no idea if it is part of the Dragon CD series) are teh January, 1956 recordings with Lee Konitz and Hans Koller done for the (Italian) Carisch label.

Thnx for you feedback - will recheck ....

• 5 months later...

Image result for lars gullin completeImage result for lars gullin complete baritone

Has anyone an idea what the provenance of this release can be? It sounds pretty good to my ears, doesn't sound like it's a needle drop and the order of tunes is as they occurred during the session, not as they were placed on the albums. It's on one of those "Catalonian" labels, this one called "Phono". Could they possibly got a hold of master tapes? Or do they just "remastered" this music from Dragon issued CDs?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I haven't heard this one. Warner Japan also reissued these two titles from Gullin on 24 bit cds this decade and they sound excellent. . . this could be "remastered" from those I suppose.

Somehow I doubt that's the case. Why would they change the order of tunes to sessions chronology? Also the Japanese releases don't have any alternate takes- but do they have them on Dragon re-issues?

The back cover presentation ticks all the boxes of the euro reissues that i’ve seen/own. The label name is interchangeable but the template for everything else is the same. I also find that they often change the track order, my take is it’s intended to muddy the waters/differentiate their release from others. Another example of this is a release of Thelonious Himself coupled with Portrait of an Ermite/Paris 1954 that i have and took off the shelf recently due to the new reissue of Paris 1954.

Not particularly judging either way, but i got the Japanese warner budget reissues of the Gullins.

Edited by xybert

What xybert said. I doubt that there are master tapes in the hand of this label. And putting these in chronological order is something easy to do to entice or confuse and to infer original sources.  I haven't gone back to the Dragons to take a look but the other takes are probably there in those volumes. Fresh Sound also put out two four cd sets of Gullin material. . . another possible source.

Hey if it sounds great, that's awesome!

Edited by jazzbo

• 1 month later...

Just stumbled over this Youtube clip :

Which says :

Cologne january 17, 1956 Lars Gullin-bs, Lee Konitz-as, Hans Koller-ts, Rudi Sehring-bs, Roland Kovac-p, Johnny Fischer-b, Karl Sanner-d

The runnung time is 8.25

Now my question :

Is this truly from the forementioned session, as the recent reissue

lee-konitz-in-europe-56-paris-and-koln-s

his title has a running time of 6.59 ....

As I don`t own this material at all any input (also whether to go the "Fresh Sound Way") would come highly appreciated ....

"Late Summer" with a playing time of 7:04 (might correspond to the 6:59 above if you are liberal with counting lead-in/lead-out seconds) and the entire Cologne sessions of 17 and 21 January 1956 for the Carisch label were reissued about 20 years agon on the (Danish) Swingtime label (another one from the Official P.D. stable) and on other Italian labels.

The discographies I have on hand do not list a second version or alternate take from this session.

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

"Late Summer" with a playing time of 7:04 (might correspond to the 6:59 above if you are liberal with counting lead-in/lead-out seconds) and the entire Cologne sessions of 17 and 21 January 1956 for the Carisch label were reissued about 20 years agon on the (Danish) Swingtime label (another one from the Official P.D. stable) and on other Italian labels.

The discographies I have on hand do not list a second version or alternate take from this session.

Thnx for you feedback ....

The version on YouTube is from the following session:

Hans Koller (ts), Lars Gullin, Willi Sanner (bs), Roland Kovac (p), Johnny Fischer (b), Rudi Sehring (dm)

“Concerts in Modern Jazz”, Börsensaal, Köln, Germany, November 14, 1955

Late summer                                      8:22     previously unissued

Too marvellous for words                11:40                              -

Going my Hemingway                        6:04                              -

Note:      All titles on Anagram (Swed) CD2 “Lars Gullin In Germany 1955 And 1956, Vol. 1”.

2 hours ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Hans Koller (ts), Lars Gullin, Willi Sanner (bs), Roland Kovac (p), Johnny Fischer (b), Rudi Sehring (dm)

Note:      All titles on Anagram (Swed) CD2 “Lars Gullin In Germany 1955 And 1956, Vol. 1”.

Dear Claude, thnx a lot - much appreciated ....

Edited by soulpope

10 hours ago, Claude Schlouch said:

Thanks from me too.

Never would have thought about looking in that direction (when I last checked the "Swedish Jazzdiskografi" on the visarkiv.se website did not list this session or the Anagram CD). But for the record, then (literally ...), these concert excerpts have also been issued on the CD that came with the "Jazz in Köln seit 1945" book by Robert von Zahn published by Emons in 1997. 

And more recently the entire session was also recycled (reissued) as an "extra" in the "mod record cologne - Gigi Campi: Jazz in West Germany 1954-1956" reissue box set released by Be!Sharp Records a couple of years ago.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Never would have thought about looking in that direction (when I last checked the "Swedish Jazzdiskografi" on the visarkiv.se website did not list this session or the Anagram CD). But for the record, then (literally ...), these concert excerpts have also been issued on the CD that came with the "Jazz in Köln seit 1945" book by Robert von Zahn published by Emons in 1997. 

Have the book but never took care of the CD .... this falls into the "bent, but not broken" catagory me believe :w ....