Lars Gullin

Victor Christensen

Hi

Are there any swedes on this board, who could give me the link to swedish online

record store, where I could purchase the reissue of Lars Gullin's "The Artistry Of Lars Gullin, Fine Together". I have tried here in Denmark, but it seems that it's only available in Sweden. It's on Universal.

I would love to get my hands on it.

:):)

Vic

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi,

i´m not from sweden but here´s a link to a swedish online shop where you can get the album in question: http://www.ginza.se/

good luck!

the original album was limited to 1000 copies at the time of issue in 1958. years ago i found one original on a fleamarket. later i found out that there is an original handwritten signature of lasse gullin. he signed the 1000 albums.

keep boppin´

marcel

here´s a link to the gullin homepage. (not updated for a long time) http://www.gullin.net/index.htm

Can anyone tell me why it seems so difficult to get hold of Lars Gullin CDs outside of Sweden? The Swedish site mentioned by Marcel above has far more issues available than sites such as Amazon in the UK. Is there an english language site that has the full catalogue available?

In anticipation!

David

Hi Victor,

don't they CD-ON have it ?

at least they list it as available with 5-7 days. I normally order some skandinavian Jazz from there.

Cheers, Tjobbe

EDIT:

Fakta

Artist: Gullin Lars

Titel: Fine Together

Label: Sonet

Selskab: UNI

Format: Album

Udgivelsesdato: 15-03-2004

Ber. lev. tid: 5-7 arbejdsdage

katalognummer: UNI-986566 -7

Edited by tjobbe

Hi

I tried the link to ginza.se, but they told they don't sell to Denmark.

They had a great selection of Lars Gullin at very cheap prices, but no luck.

I guees I should be thinking about taking a trip to Malmoe, just across the sound and opposite Copenhagen. It's really a pain in the a.. that it shall be so difficult.

I already have 11 CD's with him, but I want more. I know him from when he lived here in Copenhagen in the beginning of the sixties, He was a sad figure, a totally junkie, but he could play.

Vic

and please name us a seller who ships outside Denmark.......

Hello Reinier,

www.cdon.com ships to all EU locations. I have already ordered from there to Germany without any problems.

You need to go through their homepage www.cdon.com and you can there select the shipping region.

Cheers, Tjobbe

• 2 weeks later...

Today is Gullin's 77th birthday.

One of my favorite musicians. A true giant of a Jazz player and composer whose tunes sounded classical the minute they were out.

here's what Brian Priestley says about Gullin in JAZZ, the Essential Companion"

(Paladin, London 1987):

"The first musician after Django Reinhardt to have an impact in the USA without relocating there, Gullin has never been duplicated or surpassed. His facility and relaxation, especially in the 1950s, were able to make the baritone feel like a delicately handled tenor. But his tone (thanks to the Tristano influence detectable in many Swedish and German musicians of this period) was so light and pure that it recalled not so much a tenor as altoist Lee Konitz.

Konitz in turn was an admirer of Gullin, and participated in a posthumous album of Gullin tunes, under the title of one of them, Dedicated to Lee (1984, Dragon). Local commentators detect the inspiration not only of folk-music but the 19th-century Swedish composers in Gullin´s distinctive writing."

What are your favorite recordings by the great Swede?

• 1 year later...

Dragon have done a great job with getting Lars Gullin material out there ( early stuff mainly) . The latest

" Danny's Dream" Volume 8 in their on going series covers great quartet sides from 53/55. As ever beautifully annotated and very good sound.

Dragon have done a great job with getting Lars Gullin material out there ( early stuff mainly) . The latest

" Danny's Dream" Volume 8 in their on going series covers great quartet sides from 53/55. As ever beautifully annotated and very good sound.

yes, they are all excellent!!! there´s also coming a new chet baker dvd with a 1959 concert in torino with lars gullin! a rare chance to see him live performing! according to www.jazzmessengers.com

does anybody knows when the long announced lars gullin discography by pär rittsel is comming? according to this long time not updated site ( http://www.gullin.net/ ) it is in preparation since 2002.

keep boppin´

marcel

I have all seven of the previous volumes on Dragon, plus, of course, just about everything else available on CD ... BUT ... I have been trying to get a copy of volume 8 ever since it was announced with no success. Usually Cadence gets the entire Dragon catalog, but so far they have not received this item. Does anyone have a suggestion where I can find this album, preferable in the U.S. (I have also tried Double-Time, as well as the usual suspects such as CDU, and The Bastards .. No luck!).

Garth.

Garth,

I have all the Dragon Gullins. Vol. 8, 1953-1955, Danny's Dream (DRCD 396) is currently available from www.swedishmusicshop.com.

Up over and out.

Thanks Dave ..

I finally found a new copy on the Amazon U.K. site from one of their vendors for about $20.00, including postage.

Swedish Jazz History

anyone heard any of the Swedish Jazz History CD sets on Caprice, look interesting but it's unclear how much they overlap with Dragon issues

I have volumes 6 through 9 (and have vol. 10 on order) ... and while there is some minimum overlap, it is not enough to prevent owning this wonderful series. I am not sure why, perhaps it is my love of everything associated with "cool jazz," but I find this series, and the earlier 9 volume series, "Jazz In Sweden: 1949-1961," with music taken from the Metronome label, to be very immensely interesting and worthwhile.

Damn, why did I open this thread! I am missing a few Gullin Dragons, and I didn't even know about that series of box sets!

I love the Swedish jazz I've heard. I have listened repeatedly to four two lp sets on Metronome that are just astonishingly good; have a lot of the Gullin sides and other great sides. .. .

• 3 months later...