Victor Christensen

Lars Gullin

78 posts in this topic

Portrait of the Legendary Baritone Saxophonist Lars Gullin. Complete 1956-1960 Studio Recordings. Featuring Sweden s Top JazzmenPortrait of the Legendary Baritone Saxophonist Lars Gullin. Complete 1951-1955 Studio Recordings-Master Takes. Featuring Sweden's Top Jazzmen

Since I don't own any of his material, would these be a good starting point? I realize some folks despise Fresh Sound releases but you get a lot of bang for the bucks on these 4 cd sets. Thoughts are appreciated.

They are good sets, decent sound, excellent music. If you get bit hard by the Gullin bug I then suggest you follow the Dragon releases (eleven volumes) and further.  . . but this gets you a really good start, a big chunk of Lars' music and good notes. And they may be all the Lars many might need. Either one is a good starting point (I like all the music from these years, don't really have a favorite).

And dusty groove has this later date at a price I thought must have been a mistake, but I've ordered copies twice at tis price and they still offer it:

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/559209?sf=Lars+Gullin&incl_oos=1&incl_cs=1&kwfilter=Lars+Gullin&sort_order=artist

It's a good one.

Awesome!!  I just made the purchase on the Dusty Groove. Thanks Lon for the headsup. Thanks also for the recommendations on the Fresh Sounds.  I will also take into consideration the Dragon issues. I'm presently listening to Volume 8 on Spotify and I enjoy what I'm hearing.

Edited by Tom 1960