Mingus Big Band

chris

I'm excited-- we're finally getting some live jazz herein the frozen north (no kidding, we just got three inches of snow yesterday)... the Mingus Big Band is coming to town. Anyone know what their current line-up is looking like? Anyone heard 'em lately?

Just saw them last night. Blew me out my seat. They played mainly the famous Mingus tunes (Good Bye Pork Pie Hat, Fables of Faublus etc) plus one recent composition I think by the current bassist. Most of the band members got a chance to solo, with the band leader, Craig Handy, taking a good share of solo space on tenor and flute. Boris Koslov was the bassist and Johnathan Blake was on drums - both powered the rhythm section very well. Fantastic 100 minutes of live music! :tup

Here are the current regulars, according to the Iridium site.

Regulars in the 14-piece band are selected from among the following:

3 Trumpets: Randy Brecker, Eddie Henderson, Alex Sipiagin, Kenny Rampton, Jeremy Pelt, Walter White, Ryan Kisor, Earl Gardner.

3 Trombones: Conrad Herwig, Ku-umba Frank Lacy, Robin Eubanks, Clark Gayton, Luis Bonilla, Isaac Smith, Earl McIntyre, Dave Taylor, Douglas Purviance.

5 Saxophones: Seamus Blake, Craig Handy, Wayne Escoffery, John Stubblefield, Vincent Herring, Abraham Burton, Ronnie Cuber, Mike Sim, Jaleel Shaw, Lauren Sevian.

Piano: David Kikoski, Orrin Evans, George Colligan, Kenny Drew Jr., John Hicks, David Budway.

Bass: Boris Kozlov, Vicente Archer, Andy McKee, Duane Burno, John Benitez, Chip Jackson.

Drums: Donald Edwards, Johnathan Blake, Tommy Campbell, Gene Jackson.

I'm excited-- we're finally getting some live jazz herein the frozen north (no kidding, we just got three inches of snow yesterday)... the Mingus Big Band is coming to town. Anyone know what their current line-up is looking like? Anyone heard 'em lately?

I heard them last year at the Fez (NYC). They're grrrrrrrrreat!

Guy

Stubblefield was not in that good shape when I saw them (there's a thread about it, I think, in the appropriate section of the board). But look out for Wayne Escofferey! I love his playing, told him so after the concert, and he seems to be a very kind person.

Eddie Henderson was the letdown, the other two trumpet players present, Gayton and Sipiagin, did some great blowing, though!

Argghhhhh!!!!!! They're in town on Saturday but it's the first night of Passover and we're holding a seder.

Saw them once in LA and John Handy sat in. Great evening.

BTW Does anyone here have information re: donating to Stubblefield's health fund?

Edited by medjuck

Is the Fez thing still happening? I got a postcard that said that they were now at Joe's pub on Thursdays. Oh, this is Wednesday - did the Fez thing move to Tuesdays? What night is the Iridium gig?

Bertrand.

I think Fez is closed, that's why they moved to Joe's Pub.

I saw them about a year ago, too (at Fez). Definitely a lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to this show on Friday and it was FANTASTIC. The lineup was:

Sax: Craig Handy, Jaleel Shaw, Miguel Zenon, Abraham Burton, Ronnie Cuber

Trumpets: Eddie Henderson, Kenny Rampton, Ryan Kisor

Trombones: Ron Westray, Ku-umba Frank Lacy, Earl McIntyre

Piano: Kenny Drew Je

Bass: Boriz Kozlov

Drums: Jonathan Blake

I don't remember the exact order and contents of the sets, but the two generous sets included:

E's Flat and Ah's Flat Too

Self Portrait in Three Colors

Song in Orange

Paris in Blue

Tonight at Noon

Black Saint and Sinner Lady

Frank Lacy is a real character and kept things hopping, getting our rather unsure audience (not much jazz up here) going. Loved his vocals on Paris in Blue and another song, though I suspect the purists would find that stuff ind of light. What can I say, I cried listening to Illinois Jacquet's rendition of Wonderful World once too.

Highlights included Song in Orange, which was intensely swinging and featured some awesome soloing including Ron Westray, and the extended Black Saint and Sinner Lady which had some amazing soloing by Shaw and Henderson. Kozlov and Blake are a *tight* pair, though watching Kozlov I still couldn't reconcile his classic Russian features with that righteous bass playing.

Earl McIntyre even got the house hopping on the tuba at the end!

The only relatively "disappointing" part was Kenny Drew, Jr's. playing. To be fair, it wasn't mic'ed very well... but it was just very safe and seemed very conventional to my ears. Maybe he wasn't sleeping well in the land of the midnight sun :) I'm assuming he is the famous Kenny Drew's son?

What a great show. I talked quite a few people into going who weren't jazz listeners-- I think they came away changed...

Edited by chris

• 3 years later...

The Mingus Dynasty, Mingus Orchestra and Mingus Big Band are relocating from the Iridium to Jazz Standard and, after an inaugural week, will alternate on Monday nights.

Monday, October 6 MINGUS MONDAYS kicks off with a full week of Mingus, with all three bands and special guests.

Sets are at 7:30 and 9:30, with an extra 11:30 set on Fridays and Saturdays. Doors open an hour prior.

Jazz Standard features wonderful Blue Smoke BBQ. There is never a minimum.

Look at this lineup:

Monday Oct. 6, 2008

DYNASTY

Bass: Boris Kozlov

Drums: Adam Cruz

Piano: Helen Sung

Trumpet: Alex Sipiagin

Trombone: Ku-umba Frank Lacy

Tenor Sax: Seamus Blake

Alto Sax: Craig Handy

Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2008

DYNASTY

Piano: David Kikoski

Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2008

MINGUS ORCHESTRA

Guitar: David Gilmore

Trumpet: Tatum Greenblatt

Bassoon: Michael Rabinowitz

French Horn: John Clark

Bass Clarinet: Doug Yates

Thursday, Oct. 9, 2008

MINGUS ORCHESTRA

Bass: Joe Martin

Guitar: Freddie Bryant

Tenor Sax: Wayne Escoferry

Trombone: Conrad Herwig

Friday, Oct. 10, 2008

MINGUS BIG BAND

Trumpet: Lew Soloff

Trumpet: Earl Gardner

Trumpet: Jack Walrath

Trombone: Earl McIntyre

Trombone: Clark Gayton

Alto Sax: Jaleel Shaw

Alto Sax: Vincent Herring

Tenor Sax: Craig Handy

Tenor Sax: Wayne Escoffery

Baritone Sax: Ronnie Cuber

Drums: Victor Lewis

Bass: Dwayne Burno

Saturday, Oct. 11, 2008

MINGUS BIG BAND

Trumpet: Jeremy Pelt

Trombone: Joe Fiedler

Sunday, Oct. 12, 2008

MINGUS BIG BAND

Trumpet: Randy Brecker

Trombone: Earl Mcintyre

Tenor Sax: Brandon Wright

Baritone Sax: Lauren Sevian-

The Mingus Dynasty, Mingus Orchestra and Mingus Big Band are relocating from the Iridium to Jazz Standard and, after an inaugural week, will alternate on Monday nights.

Monday, October 6 MINGUS MONDAYS kicks off with a full week of Mingus, with all three bands and special guests.

Sets are at 7:30 and 9:30, with an extra 11:30 set on Fridays and Saturdays. Doors open an hour prior.

Jazz Standard features wonderful Blue Smoke BBQ. There is never a minimum.

Look at this lineup:

Monday Oct. 6, 2008

DYNASTY

Piano: Helen Sung

Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2008

DYNASTY

Wednesday, Oct. 8, 2008

MINGUS ORCHESTRA

Guitar: David Gilmore

Thursday, Oct. 9, 2008

MINGUS ORCHESTRA

Bass: Joe Martin

Guitar: Freddie Bryant

Tenor Sax: Wayne Escoferry

Friday, Oct. 10, 2008

MINGUS BIG BAND

Trumpet: Jack Walrath

Drums: Victor Lewis

Saturday, Oct. 11, 2008

MINGUS BIG BAND

Trumpet: Jeremy Pelt

Trombone: Joe Fiedler

Sunday, Oct. 12, 2008

MINGUS BIG BAND

Trumpet: Randy Brecker

Trombone: Earl Mcintyre

Tenor Sax: Brandon Wright

Baritone Sax: Lauren Sevian-

i'd be there EVERY night if i could. i'll be seeing them tonight in L.A. but lots of the above-listed guys (especially some of my faves) won't be there or in San Pedro tomorrow night. i'm sure the band will still be slammin' though.

I miss their first venue--the Fez underneath the Time Cafe--a basement club which was usually packed (the admission price was modest and so there was a younger crowd). The sound was pretty overwhelming there, and the band would often catch fire. The Iridium is a pricey club near Times Square--much of the crowd seemed to be tourists whose tour itinerary included visiting one jazz club and who probably never heard of Mingus. Also, it generally was not full there for the band. I'm hoping the Jazz Standard, which is a nicer and friendlier club than the Iridium, away from Times Square, will be an improvement.

I miss their first venue--the Fez underneath the Time Cafe--a basement club which was usually packed (the admission price was modest and so there was a younger crowd). The sound was pretty overwhelming there, and the band would often catch fire. The Iridium is a pricey club near Times Square--much of the crowd seemed to be tourists whose tour itinerary included visiting one jazz club and who probably never heard of Mingus. Also, it generally was not full there for the band. I'm hoping the Jazz Standard, which is a nicer and friendlier club than the Iridium, away from Times Square, will be an improvement.

I saw them at Fez once, and it was quite good. I am sorry I didn't make it more while I was living in Brooklyn. I've seen them in other settings -- once in the Lincoln Center Plaza (where they weren't all that) and another time in Chicago, when they were very good again.

When I went to Fez (Aug 2001)...my second night in NYC...it was Frank Lacy's birthday. They brought him a cake. Just a thrilling event - great music, great musicians in the city most associated with jazz. I'd have stayed for a second set but I wasn't sure how you did that.

i think i read somewhere that the Jazz Standard will not have a cover charge for the Band.