"Brilliant Corners" Question.

Matthew

I've often read that the song Brilliant Coners had twenty-four takes, and the musicians still didn't satisify Monk's "quality control". So, just how many takes were spliced together to get the final version? Were there other Monk compositions that had to have many takes spliced together also? Enquiring minds need to know, or was BC unique in this regard?

did riverside splice takes together? i don't think that even columbia did that with monk's releases. teo just cut out some bass and drum solos, which are now intact on at least some of the columbia re-issues. teo did all that work of cutting and pasting, especially with miles. and now, years later, we get the undoctored miles studio boxes, which, imo, is the way to go. i'm talking about the 1969-70's boxes. i still think that 60's miles is weak, and only starts to get interesting at the end of the silent way box.

Edited by l p

did riverside splice takes together? i don't think that even columbia did that with monk's releases. teo just cut out some bass and drum solos, which are now intact on at least some of the columbia re-issues. teo did all that work of cutting and pasting, especially with miles. and now, years later, we get the undoctored miles studio boxes, which, imo, is the way to go. i'm talking about the 1969-70's boxes. i still think that 60's miles is weak, and only starts to get interesting at the end of the silent way box.

I've heard it put the other way before, but 60s miles bad? Miles Smiles? ESP?

I've heard it put the other way before, but 60s miles bad? Miles Smiles? ESP?

i've never been able to get into the "2nd great quintet" material. some of shorter's tunes aren't bad/and some of them are quite good. but overall, that whole period doesn't do anything for me. the studio stuff on seven steps box is even weaker.

i do like the 30+ minute tune on the 65-68 box. for miles' music, i prefer the 70's, especially live. really like his solos, his use of the wah-wah pedal, and the tunes themselves.

I've often read that the song Brilliant Coners had twenty-four takes, and the musicians still didn't satisify Monk's "quality control". So, just how many takes were spliced together to get the final version? Were there other Monk compositions that had to have many takes spliced together also? Enquiring minds need to know, or was BC unique in this regard?

I can't speak for other Monk compositions, but Brilliant Corners was definitely spliced together. Apparently the musicians were introduced to the tune at the recording session, and just couldn't make one flawless take.