Mulligan & Baker Mosaic vs the Pacific Jazz cd set

Mosaic #102 The Complete Pacific Jazz and Capitol Recordings of the Original Gerry Mulligan Quartet and Tentette with Chet Baker (3 CDs or 5 LPs)

vs.

The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker (4 CDs)

I just bought the latter at the local establishment and was wondering if the Mosaic set and this PJ set are interchangeable.

I'm confused - but what's new about that.

I have a 4 CD set called The Original Chet Baker & Gerry Mulligan Quartet : "Complete Recordings" (Definitive 44409) which has 12 cuts with Lee Konitz in a quintet with Baker & Mulligan & 8 cuts of the Tentette on CD #4. The other 3 CDs are all Mulligan / Baker Quartet with a few cuts by a Mulligan Trio & a few cuts with a Mulligan / Baker Quartet with Jimmy Rowles & no drummer. Everything is described as being from Pacific Jazz, Fantasy & GNP.

Without debating the legitimacy of this set (if possible), how does it compare with the 2 sets being discussed above in this thread???

i have the mosaic set and it looks like if you get [konitz meets mulligan , gerry mulligan quartet 2 cd set and gerry mulligan tentet & quartet] you would have the mosaic set except [all the thing you are & festive minor] unissued tracks.

i also pick-up [annie ross sings a song & gerry mulligan reunion] which i think makes up The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker set .they should all be eazy to find. ;)

The Tentette material was recorded for Pacific Jazz, now owned by EMI. The only Fantasy material I am aware of is the original quartet sides.

The Tentette material was released on a CD about 1990 along with some Shorty Rogers sides, called The Birth of the Cool Volume 2.

Edit - While I was typing, Chuck says Capitol, so I will trust his memory on that.

Edited by GA Russell

And reissued on LP by Capitol as part of the Capitol Jazz Classics series back in the very early 1970s, long before PJ had come under EMI's umbrella.

Edit: GA apprently was editing agreement while I was reinforcing, so my point is moot.

Edited by JSngry

Incorrect. The tentette stuff was recorded for and by Capitol.

I'd forgotten that the GNP CD Ten-tette material was originally a Capitol ten-inch. I'd also forgotten that the Fantasy session was a quartet one.

I forget lots of things these days. Thankfully I have you guys to hand over the brainwork to. :wacko: