jazzbo

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing my Hines ONCE UPON A TIME

The title Track.. sounds like another Hodges tune.. from somewhere else

But I'm sure it had a different title

Is this a subtle way they get you to pull the records of the shelf and replay them??

So I think I'll go to the liner notes to see if there's a comment.

Guess what??? the Liner notes are on a 12 X 12 piece of paper folded to make it fit

Camera Shifts to the verve.. or whoever owns them. board room

Big polished oval table

Lots of people sitting round it

All in dark blue suits.. tamed ( it was supposed to be TANNED but I liked the Typo...God made me do it...) power types

Even the Women.. but damn you know they're super sexy when you get them home and they dump the blue serge for some black lingerie and a cocktail.

Every one has a coffee cup, but they sure ain't drinking.. they is waiting...

Waiting on the moves of the MAN

Enter the MAN...polished Cool, manicured to the Nth degree, even uses finger nail polish.. and his eyebrows....first class.

He speaks

" I visited the BNBB before it went defunct, because they're not as aware of marketing strategy, like we are. Just checked them out post grammy's

Reports coming in from distributers, and my secret, undercover( no black lingerie there guys unless he wears it.. sorry had to intercede P.D.) sources lead me to believe that the Jazz Buying community PREFFERS ( his hand beats on the table) JAPANESE( there goes the table again) IMPORTS ( bang bang) WHY???:"

the asembled staff, fiddle with their coffee mugs.. scared to respond.

"I'll tell you why, he pounds"... twenty two wrinkles in his forehead... not to mention his overtight underwear.. ripple.. but hell he's getting off on this.

The assembled infra structure leans forward in anticipation

"OBI STRIPS.". they aplaud..

"MINI LPS" they pound the table

"damn those Japs."...... they rush to prepare a bomb

"12 X 12 LINER NOTES FOLDED INTO THE SLEEVE

Do you realise these asshole will pay $24.99 for this shit???"

Standing Ovation

"So Move me!!!!!! C'mon tell me what we need to do to move this shit..damn wish we had some post 9 11 country songs."

Far end of the table, nice guy, well groomed

" How about simulating the Obi Strips?"

sits down

The audience awaits BIG GUYS RESPONSE

Big Guy Beams.. "rRght on..??? I'd use your initials if I knew them Excellent perception"

Groomer sits down.. hell he's just got a raise....

The suits rush in.. "OBI Strips we culd fool them with..."

"Digi paks... man they'd think they were IMPORTS............"

"Mini LPS."..damn it's almost like they are getting ready to hug each other.

BIG GUY beams, straightens his tie

The board gulp their coffee.. it's gonna be O.K.

"We got it Big Guy........"in unison.

From the back of the room, a hand is raised

little guy.. maybe just the coffee troll for the suits...

"Excuse me sir, but maybe these people buy those japanese records because it's the only way to get the music." voice fades a bit.. he shuffles, looks at his feet "We got a lot of jazz we don't issue.. maybe if we did.." voice fades to nothing.. like a jimmy guiffre clarinet solo coming to an end

Big guy swells... " you blithering Idiot.. how dare you tell me what this Jazz business is all about.. You're fired.. Turn in yor Coffe cart.. the suits applaud..one even hides his Dizzy Gillespie with Katie Bell Nubin Lp that he thought might be of interest.

Another lets his new found Shorter interest wayne

Now says the Big Guy.."Kral we got... people are cooling a bit.. Don't know why.. Hell we dress her up maker sexy...

Find me a Norah Jones!!!!.. darkies are better Jazzers.. and hell from the Grammy's they're in vogue.. get me one...."

The suits scramble....

The future of Jazz is assured.

..................................................................................................................................

Damn ..sorry Use 3d Super moderator

I know there's a New Impulse reissue thread

But hell I'm the first one on this board to have a thread shut down

A little slack please. :g:g:g:g:g

O

Edited by P.D.

I question if the 'price drop' might be to compete with the lower price of the RVG series? Or, might it be an attempt to keep selling product in light of reduced music sales and a slow economy?

I may have to go to Borders today and see if they still have the Russell. Damn.

Edited by wesbed

I just got "Attica Blues" and think it sounds incredible. Is there something different about the way this particular album was recorded, as compared to other jazz albums from the period? There is more depth and space to this recording than any music from any genre I've heard from the 60's/70's...

I never really liked Jewel Boxes. You really have to be careful with them all the time. With Digipacks, you can be a little loose and not suffer breakage.

I've ordered the Ayler (hasn't come yet)...Actually there seems to have been quite a lot of Ayler stuff come on the market lately.

Maybe a rekindling of interest? (wishful thinking?)

Simon Weil

Probably not, but once you have kids of your own it makes a lot more sense.

That cut got radio play around here back in the day, and I used to wonder what the hell was up w/that weird-ass singing. Now, it's just Cal's kid, if you know what I mean.

Edited by JSngry

I picked up the Shepp this evening. I've listened to about 2/3 of it.

It's definitely not Fire Music.

I've heard songs that reminded me of the Temptations (Papa Was a Rolling Stone era) mixed with some Curtis Mayfield. The second track reminded me of Scott Walker of all people. The strings on Steam kind of reminded me of Charles Ives. Verrrrrry Interesting.

It's actually quite surreal. I don't know if that was a regular cigarette being smoked on the cover. I realize it was a serious piece of work, so I don't mean to insult it, but it isn't your average jazz fare.

I enjoyed what I heard so far. I'll post my opinion after I've listened to it a couple of times.

:rhappy:

• 2 weeks later...

Since the digipack subject was touched upon earlier, I'll throw in my 2 cents. I prefer jewel cases.

There's the broken teeth thing that does happen and the occasional accident in which one of your children leaves some type liquid on the counter or spills something. I transport discs to work and digipacks often get "bruised." Jewel cases can always be replaced in this case. I also hate the way they flop all over my storage shelves where as the jewel cases stand up, so when I remove one or two doscs I can always see where they came from without having to read the spine of each disc to get them in the correct order. Then there's the spine itself, which always seems to be at a weird angle making it more difficult to read, IMO.

But I've never let packaging stand in the way of obtaining the music.

Here's a thumbs up for the Jim Hall issue in this series 'Live.' Gorgeous guitar trio jazz.

I remember this disc when it was orginally out c.1976. I nearly bought it on a number of occasions, having been smitten by another Hall disc in that A&M series, 'Commitments.' Being a poor student at the time it never happened and I've been looking for it ever since.

I hope they get round to 'Commitments' - a much more 'arranged' disc but quite magical.

Don't know if Simon's still reading this thread, but I wonder as well if there's a rekindling of interest in Ayler. Why all the various reissues in the past couple of years if not?? Still, I often feel that it's just my own wishful thinking... I just hope New Grass is re-issued soon. I've only heard snippets, but I realy liked what I've heard.

I played Music is the Healling Force... in the car with my girlfriend. She can handle lots of out stuff, but after a while she said, "this is really depressing." I kind of agree. Still, I think the TONE of his sax on this recording is just incredible.