Stan Getz, the Complete Roost Recordings

Guy Berger

Sound quality's not that great. Liner notes admit that no original sources were used.

I've wondered, since Cuscuna has since seemed to have found the Roost masters (witness the Sonny Stitt and Johnny Smith Mosaic boxes), he has any plans to redo the Getz box.

'Imagination' indeed.

Ditto, one of my favourite sets and the first disc in particular as a date is some of my favourite Getz, from any period.

'Yesterdays' is a marvellous piece of tenor playing as is 'You Go To My Head'.

I also love the studio quintet date where they play 'Autumn Leaves'.

A real desert island set for me. I cannot praise it enough without getting all slushy.

this is the best Getz there is, though I gotta admit I still have some problems with his occasional creeping narcissism - which, in my (admittedly minority ) opinion, eventually took over - but VIVA Haig, Raney, and Tiny Kahn!

Edited by AllenLowe

Has anyone compared the Complete Roost Recordings to the Complete Roost Sessions?

If so, how do they differ?

If you're talking the Spanish/Andorran (Jazz Factory/Definitive) edition, probably just a rip of the Blue Note/EMI set, if you're talking the Japanese single discs, I can see two volumes (1 CD each), each more expensive than the 3CD set...

• 12 years later...