Looking for the musical term...

TheMusicalMarine

I know artists do this all the time, but I'd like to call it by the appropriate (musically, that is) name. I'm listening to Brubeck's quartet playing "I'll Never Smile Again" and about 2/3rds fo the way through, they play the opening bars of "Fools Rush In". What is it called when one takes an excerpt of one song, and inserts it in another?

Thanks

I would say that interpolation generally refers to longer passages (maybe even an entire piece). If it's just a brief passing reference, quotation is probably the term needed.

Most of kind of thing done during improvised jazz solos is quotation.

I would say that Dexter Gordon playing the first eight notes of "Here Comes The Bride" at the start of an improvised blues chorus is quotation, while Stan Getz playing the entire melody of Gigi Gryce's piece "Eleanor" as part of an arrangement of "Jumpin' With Symphony Sid' is interpolation.

Mike

"quoting" is the actual term, but older jazz guys used to call the practice "playin' some ditties"..

Guys like Bird, Dexter, Sonny Stitt, Rollins, etc makd a real game outta this ..

On a simiar note, alto player Gabe Baltazar once wrote a tune called "Bop Suey" in which he managed to sandwich 16 bebop standards ( two bars each ) over the changes of "How High the Moon "

very clever! :w