"Jazz Cameos" this Saturday on Night Lights

byrds.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Jazz Cameos," a program of pop-rock tracks featuring jazz soloists. Did you know that it was Sonny Rollins soloing on the Rolling Stones' "I'm Just Waiting on a Friend"? Phil Woods on Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"? West Coast saxophonist Curtis Amy wailing away on the Doors' "Touch Me"? How on earth did Don Cherry end up playing "Heroin" with Lou Reed? Find out this Saturday evening at 11:05 (9:05 California time, 12:05 a.m. NYC time). You can listen live, or wait until Monday afternoon, when the program will be posted in the Night Lights archives. And thanks much to the Organissimos who posted in the "Jazz Cameos" thread I started here once upon a blue moon... some of tracks you mentioned made it into the show.

Next week: "The Subterraneans." Music and dialogue from the 1960 cinematic adaptation of Jack Kerouac's novel.

byrds.jpg

This week on Night Lights it's "Jazz Cameos," a program of pop-rock tracks featuring jazz soloists. Did you know that it was Sonny Rollins soloing on the Rolling Stones' "I'm Just Waiting on a Friend"? Phil Woods on Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are"? West Coast saxophonist Curtis Amy wailing away on the Doors' "Touch Me"? How on earth did Don Cherry end up playing "Heroin" with Lou Reed? Find out this Saturday evening at 11:05 (9:05 California time, 12:05 a.m. NYC time). You can listen live, or wait until Monday afternoon, when the program will be posted in the Night Lights archives. And thanks much to the Organissimos who posted in the "Jazz Cameos" thread I started here once upon a blue moon... some of tracks you mentioned made it into the show.

Next week: "The Subterraneans." Music and dialogue from the 1960 cinematic adaptation of Jack Kerouac's novel.

Great show David, I just bought a nice lobby card from "The Subterraneans" !

Mark

Thanks, Mark. "Jazz Cameos" is now archived. Re: SUBTERRANEANS, I found a neat poster image online that I'm going to use for the website... just re-read the novel last night and am going to watch the movie tonight. The new soundtrack (out from Film Score Monthly) is quite good--adds a lot of extra music that didn't make it into the film.

• 1 year later...