• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Keeping in mind that Silver City collects most, but not all of the highlights of the period it covers and is probably the best choice for the "casual" fan of Rollins' 70s and beyond work (and I know a fair number of people for whom the issue of not liking this later work is simply a matter of them not liking Sonny's tone, or not likeing electric bass, or not liking any number of things that have nothing to do with the actual quality of the music itself other than personal taste as to style and such), here's the Milestone albums I keep coming back to and finding new dicoveries and enjoyments . They also contain material is not included in in the Silver City box that I would have included if I was compiling such a set.

So Jim, which Milestone cuts do you have on your personal Silver City list? I am finding much of this material to be interesting and would welcome your thoughts.

Guest akanalog

have to have "harlem boys" on there and "penny saved" and "gwaligo" and "sais".

though i say this never having heard silver city (i don't go for best ofs...)

but thes 4 tracks, off the top of my head, would be on my personal silver city. not that anyone asked me!

Wow, that's a lot of years to cover...

Can I get back to you?

Gee Jim, I thought you could toss this off the top of your head ;)

At your convenience, I would enjoy your thoughts ... if it is anything more than a complete labor of love for you, no need to bother :)

Having said that, I am enjoying my own spin back through this material. Lots of surprises and lots of regrets!

Edited by Eric

Some days I'm not even sure if I have a head... :g

Lots of surprises and lots of regrets!

That about sums it up, I think. There's more gems there than are generally given credit for, but not as many as "we" would like. It's a complicated mess, but if you wade through it all w/o expecting the "records" to be like they were back in the day, there's cumulatively more than a little great Rollins playing to be had