Hadley Caliman

Dave James

A brand new Hadley Caliman CD called Straight Ahead will be released a week from next Tuesday. Here's a list of the tunes:

1. Cigar Eddie (5:50)

2. Rapture (5:59)

3. You Leave Me Breathless (6:28)

4. Cathlamet (4:54)

5. Blues For PT (3:15)

6. Lush Life (3:25)

7. Totem Pole (4:47)

8. The Night Has A Thousand Eyes (4:32)

Up for pre-order at Amazon.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bill Barton

A brand new Hadley Caliman CD called Straight Ahead will be released a week from next Tuesday. Here's a list of the tunes:

1. Cigar Eddie (5:50)

2. Rapture (5:59)

3. You Leave Me Breathless (6:28)

4. Cathlamet (4:54)

5. Blues For PT (3:15)

6. Lush Life (3:25)

7. Totem Pole (4:47)

8. The Night Has A Thousand Eyes (4:32)

Up for pre-order at Amazon.

The review copy arrived in the mail today. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Loading it in the player as I type this... Last time I saw him he was looking (and sounding) very healthy indeed.

Personnel:

Thomas Marriott - trumpet

Eric Verlinde - piano

Phil Sparks - bass

Matt Jorgensen - drums

The liner notes are by Hadley and are very warm and personal.

Edited by Bill Barton

• 7 months later...

R.I.P- i am blessed to have seen Hadley numerous times in recent years and im so happy to have been able to do that, he always sounded phonemonal and was by far the most legitimate jazz musican we have in the city. from the gerald wilson orchestra to the grateful dead, how many people can say that besides hadley?

Sad news. I was fortunate enough to see him in London with a Bobby Hutcherson band. A memorable evening. The tour got a mention in the aforementioned Cadence interview. Apparently they found it hard to 'score' in London.

Edited by JohnS

• 7 years later...
13 hours ago, Late said:

R-2199020-1349331486-9962.jpeg.jpg

Both Ace UK and Solid (Taiwan) have reissued this album. Am I correct in understanding that the UK version has some remastering flaws?

It has been pulled because it combines half of the album with half of the next one ... bit of a goof. So go for the Japanese reissue if you want to get it.

6 hours ago, king ubu said:

It has been pulled because it combines half of the album with half of the next one ... bit of a goof. So go for the Japanese reissue if you want to get it.

Thanks for this information — very helpful. The Solid edition of this album (released in Japan, March 2017) appears to already be on the cusp of going out-of-print.

Question to those who have the Solid edition — how's the sound? (The original album seems to be one of the better-recorded Mainstream efforts.) 

I like the sound of the Solid edition myself. In general I think this series from Solid sound very good.

I haven't really warmed up to this session though. . . . I heard it years ago and wasn't crazy about it, and I still find it not really my cup of tea. I'll revisit it soon . . . things do "grow on me."

5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I like the sound of the Solid edition myself. In general I think this series from Solid sound very good.

I haven't really warmed up to this session though. . . . I heard it years ago and wasn't crazy about it, and I still find it not really my cup of tea. I'll revisit it soon . . . things do "grow on me."

I also think it sounds good for a Mainstream.

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I'm listening right now to a CD-R I made years ago from the station's old vinyl copy of Iapetus... is the recent Solid reissue well-done?

Yes, very well done.  BTW, I really like the two albums (combined on one CD) he did for Catalyst a couple of years later.   Every bit as good/essential as the Mainstreams.

The Catalyst Years. Hadley Caliman. "Projecting" & "Celebration"