Hadley Caliman

Dave James

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know if Tootie Heath's Kawaida has been reissued anywhere?

Muse and 32jazz never got around to it, and now it's lost in the ether with with the rest of the Muse/Cobblestone catalog, including gems by his brother Jimmy, the Visitors, Carlos Garnett, and Eric Kloss which never made it onto CD.

• 11 months later...
Guest akanalog

yeah actually i don't think kawaida was ever on muse/cobbelstone, was it?

perhaps you are thinking of another album?

that last song on kawaida is pretty boring. wish there were another more musical track.

Edited by akanalog

• 9 months later...

has anybody checked out this CD? Tenors Hadley Caliman and Gary Hammon plus an organ trio I know nothing about...

http://cdbaby.com/cd/fangs

the samples sound nice, not like they want to change life on this planet, but after all they wouldn't have succeeded anyway I guess

(in a way Caliman and Hammon are both successors for Sonny Simmons, Caliman with Prince Lasha's Firebirds, Hammon on Barbara Donald's 80s albums, neither of which I know, but i guess this doesn't have to do too much with this record :) )

There is a long history of jazz tenor sax pairings: Gene Ammons/Sonny Stitt; John Coltrane/Sonny Rollins; Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis/Johnny Griffin, Dave Liebman/Steve Grossman. With this in mind Chicago-born guitarist, Nicholas Hoffman assembled "Fangs" a collective of five very talented and swinging musicians from the Pacific Northwest, featuring two veteran tenor saxophone players - Hadley Caliman, and Gary Hammon-with a traditional organ trio of Hoffman, Delvon Dumas on Hammond B-3 and Jud Sherwood on drums. Fangs' sound is straight ahead, yet fresh, and reflects the respect, love and understanding that the band has for the history of jazz.

Legendary Hadley Caliman, the "dean" of Northwest tenors, made his mark in jazz with a style and sound that comes thru Lester and moves on to Dexter and Trane and in the end is uniquely his own. His recordings begin with a 1949 session in LA with Roy Porter's reboppers and include dates with Freddie Hubbard, Jon Hendricks, Eddie Henderson, Julian Priester, Joe Henderson, Jessica Williams, Carlos Santana and his four albums as a leader, recorded for Mainstream and Catalyst in the 70's.

Gary Hammon may be unfamiliar to many listeners - this recording marks the Seattle native's return to the studio after a 20 year absence. As Nicholas notes, "Gary's been under the radar of the jazz world, but he's enjoyed a 20 year association with Big John Patton and played with all kinds of folks, from Albert Collins and Albert King to Jaki Byard and George Russell, from Elvin Jones and Don Patterson to Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles. I think this CD will mark Gary's reemergence. Gary has a SOUND!"

Nicholas Hoffman, a veteran guitar player, bandleader and teacher, makes his home in Bellingham, WA. Nicholas' affection for the B3 is well documented on his first two CDs featuring Joey DeFrancesco, Barney McClure and Dave Mathews. They have earned him organ trio gigs as far away as Japan. This fourth independent recording effort represents a further evolution of his blues-based, fluid sound.

Organist Delvon Dumas is a new name to the jazz public...but not for long. He is a multi-instrumentalist who has worked in a variety of settings as a keyboardist, drummer, trumpeter and upright bassist in the Seattle area. Delvon is a high-energy player, who brings a wonderfully percussive yet traditional approach to the B-3.

As "in house" drummer and director of The Jazz Project, Jud Sherwood has many years of experience in many different settings. Playing with Teddy Edwards, Bill Perkins, Herb Ellis, Nancy King, John Stowell among others has paid off handsomely as evidenced here. As well as putting this recording "in the pocket" rhythmically, Jud brought the forces of The Jazz Project to bear on seeing this recording project thru to the end.

The album launches with Ugetsu, a straight ahead cooker in D, by pianist Cedar Walton, originally recorded by Art Blakey in 1963. The Japanese title translates to "Fantasy." Are You For Me, a tender ballad written by Gary, showcases his very warm and rich sound, captured wonderfully by engineer David Lange. The band then shifts gears and takes a nice walk through Herbie Hancock's bluesy Driftin', originally heard on his debut album "Takin' Off." Slightly in the Tradition, a burner written by Gary, is based upon Billy Strayhorn's "Take the A Train." Next up is Fangs, an ominous 16 bar blues, written by Nicholas with Hadley and Gary in mind. David "Fathead" Newman's Head is a minor blues with a groove originally recorded by Don Patterson on his "Mellow Soul" LP. It features the OGD trio without horns. On a Misty Night, an old Tadd Dameron chestnut, reveals the band's relaxed side. Based on "September in the Rain", this tune was originally recorded on Dameron's 1956 collaboration with John Coltrane. Hadley is featured on his original, Linda, written for his wife. A beautiful tune in Db played with just organ and drums accompaniment. Gary remarked during the studio playback "This song will be playing at the Gates of Heaven." The band closes with Harold Mabern's relaxing groove, Rakin' n' Scrapin'. Here the band pays homage to Big John Patton's 1969 Blue Note version. Gary in particular, gives a nod to the "quarter tone" sound of Patton's sax man Marvin Cabell.

The recording session is in September.

September 19-20 in Seattle.

I'm not sure who else is scheduled.

I can find out for the curious, or you can contact John Bishop at Origin.

I believe Thomas Marriott will be included.

Both Hadley and Joe were on Thomas' last recording for Origin:

82474.jpg

Edited by marcello

1949 roy porter date, heard eric dolphys also on that--

can you guys who know please share more info about his 40-60s recordings? i have the gw mosaic of course but i was unaware for the 2 song dupree date but what else is there? any more stuff on pacific jazz for example? any recording with dex? where can i get the roy porter date too, any current issues of that?

i havent seen H.C in a few months but he is still playing and playing great!

1949 roy porter date, heard eric dolphys also on that--

can you guys who know please share more info about his 40-60s recordings? i have the gw mosaic of course but i was unaware for the 2 song dupree date but what else is there? any more stuff on pacific jazz for example? any recording with dex? where can i get the roy porter date too, any current issues of that?

i havent seen H.C in a few months but he is still playing and playing great!

i think on the carmell jones select there is a session (originally led by Frank Strazzeri for PJ and previously unreleased...

from what i have read, there are two two-song bolton sessions for PJ, one with Earl Anderza (and Caliman) and one with Anthony Ortega (but without Caliman?)

• 3 months later...

I saw Hadley tonight with Thomas, Doug Miller and Byron Vanoy. He was great. He always sounds great, absolutely timeless. Mentioned the record coming out. I'll try to keep track of it and post when I hear. I'm on the Origin mailing list. I'm not sure who all he said was playing on it. Phil Sparks, I think he mentioned was the bassist. Good local hero.

Grrrr...I can't believe you didn't give me a heads up about this! I keep forgetting to check the Tula's website. :(

I saw Hadley tonight with Thomas, Doug Miller and Byron Vanoy. He was great. He always sounds great, absolutely timeless. Mentioned the record coming out. I'll try to keep track of it and post when I hear. I'm on the Origin mailing list. I'm not sure who all he said was playing on it. Phil Sparks, I think he mentioned was the bassist. Good local hero.

• 1 month later...

CD Universe has this coming out Feb 19th!

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone, my first post at Organissimo.

I hate to start with a request, and hope to be more helpful at some stage, but :

I'm trying to find out the actual recording date of Hadley Caliman's "Iapetus" in regards to some research I'm doing.

I'm wondering if any of you fine folks who own the LP could check the cover and see if those details are there?

Been having trouble finding a detailed Mainstream Records sessionography on the net - one that was apparently at freeform.org has disappeared -

so if any of you know of a resource I've missed, I'd appreciate a pointer there as well, as it might also answer my question.

Many thanks for any help!

Simon

1.jpg

2.jpg

Hadley Caliman ~ Iapetus Mainstream 342 1972

Luis Gasca (trumpet), Hadley Caliman (tenor sax) (fl)

Todd Cochram (piano), James Leary (bass)

Woody Theus (drum), Victor Pantoja (cga)

Hungria Garcia (timb)

Hadley Caliman - Iapetus

Label: Mainstream Records

Catalog#: MRL 342

Format: Vinyl, LP

Released: 1972

Credits: Bass - James Leary

Congas - Victor Pantoja

Drums - Woody Theus

Flute - Hadley Caliman

Piano - Todd Cochran

Saxophone [Tenor] - Hadley Caliman

Timbales - Hungria Garcia*

Trumpet - Luis Gasca

Tracklisting:

A1 Watercress (3:45)

A2 Ambivalence (7:38)

A3 Dee's Glee (7:39)

B1 Iapetus (9:59)

B2 Quadrivium (3:48)

B3 Green Eyes (5:17)

Hadley Caliman

Edited by marcello

Many thanks Marcello. It seems that it's hard to get actual Mainstream session dates from anywhere, just years ....

What I'm actually trying to do is track Todd Cochran's movements in this period (without actually hiring surveillance people!)

So I've got :

July 1-3 1971 Head On – Hutcherson

August 14, 1971 Intensity – Klemmer – 2 live tracks

May 24, 1972 Hutcherson – unreleased

June 26 ,1972, Worlds around the sun

September 18, October 2, 1972 Seeking other beauty

June 28 and September 12, 1973 Love, Love – julian Priester

.. and so am curious as to when in 72 (or 71?) "Iapetus" was recorded ...

thanks again for your help ,

Simon

Well, that's another matter.

He played with the Bonny Hutcherson / Harold Land Group and many others like this one:

Bayete Umbra Zindiko Nonet

Free Berry, Oscar Brashear (tp, flh) Wayne Wallace (tb) Dave Johnson (ss) Hadley Caliman (ts, fl) Bobby Hutcherson (vib) Todd Cochran (p, syn, clav) James Leary III (b, el-b) Thabo Vincar (d)

June 26, 1972

It Ain't Prestige P 10045

Free Angela -

Njeri -

I'm On It -

Bayete Eurus -

* Bayete Umbra Zindiko - Worlds Around The Sun (Prestige P 10045)

Bobby Hutcherson Quartet

Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar) Todd Cochran (p, el-p) James Leary (b) Michael Carvin (d)

United Artists Studios, Los Angeles, CA, May 24, 1972

Poem Blue Note rejected

Unga -

B's Thang -

Mr. X -

Twenty-Five -

Edited by marcello