• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with both Ronald and Allen :)

It is very well written, and has brief yet interesting discussions.

The errors are annoying though - Lee Morgan died in February '72, not January, and he mispells Frank Wolff throughout.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

A great primer, though, yes, there are some factual errors--but let's not be too hard on the guy as the MS was published posthumously. A few omissions are odd (Hank Mobley & Grant Green) but by & large it's a very good introduction to the music with an informed list of recommended recordings at the back.

I haven't read in a decade or more, but it's nice to know that this is back in print. By general recollection, I agree with previous comments: flawed, but better trhan nothing (and, particularly, better than anything else available at time of original publication).

I read the library's copy when I was just getting started with jazz; it helped fan the flame, so I can't complain. In all honesty, though, sometimes reading a book about jazz seems to be a lot like singing a song about e. e. cummings. It's interesting that you can do such a thing, but...

IMHO its an excellent book. It introduced me to artists I had barely heard of and has an excellent section on Tina Brooks. I was also impressed by his assessment of the importance of heroin and its relevance to need of black artists to "distance" themselves. Its a book I go back to. Well worth restrieving from the remainder bin.

In all honesty, though, sometimes reading a book about jazz seems to be a lot like singing a song about e. e. cummings.

Dancing about architecture?

If I could put a stake through that quote's heart (& also Zappa's "smells funny" quote) I would.

If anyone has a spare copy of the Rosenthal they'd like to dispose of tell me as my sister's looking for it & it's o/p.