***WARNE MARSH ZONE***

Guest ariceffron

Guest ariceffron

I am digging warne so much right now, i dont even want to type anything. But you guys are crazy if you dont listen to warne. no one improvises like warne. not any other sax player, not lennie, no one. the best warne is from the mid 70s to early 80s. but all warne is notable. i swear to god i have bootlegs from 1981 which would make you piss, shit and jizz yourself all at the same time. i know that is adult language but it is the only way i can express the power of this one particular solo from the village vanguard in Nov. 81, on the great konitz tune, "sound lee". Warne is the greatest. lets all talk about him here. Some possible topics of intrest can include (but are not limited to):

-The fact that the best warne on record/tape/cd are not his actual albums but privately recorded concerts. And figuring out who will recieve gifts, of other jazz related items for access to copying these marsh tapes.

-the Warne Marsh bio- which shows us that warne was not only a unique saxoponist but had a very unique life as well.

-Wanre Marsh and Art pepper. yea yea dont worry i love wanre and lee more than anything. even sex. but what i am saying is warne and art pepper is ALSO good. like freewheeling from 1956 (Vanguard). that also had a tenor named ted brown. wanre and art also played some times in the 70s. I know this goes against you jazz conservative's view of jazz: , but if you think warne and art were good in the 50s you should hear them in the 70s. wholey shit. im telling you.

-1980 period Genesis.: this has nothing to do with warne right now but ive been playing along with the 1st two songs to 'Duke' all week. I know it seems weird but it if you dig w/in the songs sonically its prog rock in disguise, just with more modern synth sounds and new elec. drum sounds. thats all it was. I have a video from that tour and phil looks so funny. i think it was the first tour he wore a hawaiian shirt. And chester thompson was in it then and he was in '75 era weather report and that is awesome because 75 weather report is like the most rockin' tunes on this side of the plannet

-etc,

have a good day- hell yeah

Edited by ariceffron

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? aric, tell me you haven’t forsaken Hank! There’s a whole new Mobley thread just begging for your imprint. To be honest, The only Warne I have is on Tristano’s Intuition and Konitz’ Live at the Half Note so I haven’t formed much of an opinion yet.

Yes, yes, yes. Listening to a lot of Warne Marsh lately. Much to rediscover in his

records. On another thread, I suggested a Mosaic Select of his Interplay albums.

Some of those are very hard to find these days and some have not appeared on CD.

The ones I have are just magnificient.

About Warne Marsh and Art Pepper, there is also the Contemporary album 'The Way

It Was'. The two produced surprising an exciting music.

Warne was almost always in a zone, you know.

Indeed there is something to be said for the many live tapes of Marsh in circulation, some legit -- from Peter Ind's Wave label, or the Tristano family's Jazz label -- and some not-so legit. But if you are just getting into Warne or wonder what the fiss may be all about, bear me through a couple of studio recommendations...

e246132bwgi.jpg

"Tristano school" for beginners...

e757770eog3.jpg

The rhythm section just looks on paper like a classy, comfortable one, but, with Marsh as the primary voice, they become something else entirely. Also, one of the best "sounding" Warne recordings out there.

Out of nowhere...