Kessel Plays Standards

Jim R

Pick one (use a #2 pencil only)  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

B000000YDE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just curious... This rarely seems to get a mention. Won't be for everybody I know, but I wonder who else digs it, and whether anybody out there might need a "push". B-) This is probably my all-time favorite Kessel recording, and in fact would probably make my desert island list. This sets a certain mood that no other album seems to do for me... it swings like crazy, but it's also got some great wistful, melancholy moments. I love Bob Cooper's oboe (and tenor, but especially the oboe) on this, and the way it's worked into the arrangements. With Hampton Hawes and Claude Williamson playing behind Barn, there's also a driving quality that's hard to beat. Anyway, I just find this one has always been very special, since I first found the vinyl at a garage sale ~25 years ago...

Second option for me, and so voted.

Not played that often not because I don't like it, it's among his best as a leader, I just have so much to listen to and many many sessions are neglected (but many new ones savored!)

Have about 10 Kessell titles. 'Some Like It Hot" is my favorite by a country mile. Then the Poll Winners albums. Then Carmen(it has some of the same instrumentation as Standards). Carmen gets a ton of play around here as many friends/family like it compared to my other jazz titles.

Big :tup to Mr. Kessell's contributions on The President Plays With The Oscar Peterson Trio(Norgran). Beautiful!!

Edited by wolff

Can't say it's my favorite Kessel Contemporary. The guitar-oboe configuration leaves me a bit cold.

I play the Poll Winners series and 'To Swing or Not to Swing' more often.

But that version of 'Love Is Here To Stay' is wonderful music to my ears!

• 6 months later...

I'm very pleased to have come across this thread. I'm presently listening to 'Four' by Hampton Hawes which many I'm sure already know features the fine work of Mr. Kessel. I really enjoy his work on this album and was looking for some recommendations on his individual releases. Looks like I have a few already to go by. Thanks.

There's a later Contemporary, from the mid-'60s as I recall, with Bobby Hutcherson, Elvin Jones, and bassist Chuck Domanico, that's damn good; Kessel perhaps surprisingly is right at home with Elvin, who is very well recorded -- don't recall many dates that gave me a better sense of where every piece of his kit was spatially. Always liked that early Contemporary "To Swing or Not To Swing," the one with some quartet tracks and others with Harry Edison (I think) and George Auld. Too bad that Auld made so few jazz dates (maybe any dates) in later years; he was a swinger.

This is the later (1969) Contemporary (with Bobby Hutcherson, Elvin Jones, and Chuck Domanico) to which Larry was referring:

e54209ormfw.jpg

It is a great recording but, unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it's OOP. I was going to verify that when, much to my chagrin, I discovered that the Fantasy Jazz site is NO MORE, and has been replaced by a new Concord site. :angry:

The Standards - Kessel album is nice, but far from one of my favorites by him on Contemporary.

His "Poll Winners" CDs and "To Swing Or Not To Swing" have already been mentioned and I would agree that they are better than the Standards album.

There are three other not yet mentioned that I also prefer. "Lets Cook" with players such as Ben Webster, Frank Rosolino, Victor Feldman, Hampton Hawes and Jimmy Rowles is one of my favorites. I am also very partial to "Red Hot And Blues" with Kenny Barron, Bobby Hutcherson, Rufus Reid, and Ben Riley.

You're right! Well it was OOP. And I see when you go to the page for "Feelin' Free", they have "Red Hot and Blues"--also previously OOP--listed for sale! Could Concord actually be bringing some of these titles back? Or maybe they're just clearing out some old stock that Fantasy had in storage. Needless to say, time will tell.

they have "Red Hot and Blues"--also previously OOP--listed for sale!  Could Concord actually be bringing some of these titles back?

I hope not. ;) I think that's a pretty bad album. Kessel's playing got rather sloppy in some ways (IMO) in his later years.

If they are in fact bringing back titles that had been dropped, I hope they'll reissue Joshua Breakstone's Contemporarys.

Edited by Jim R