What jazz artists need to be written about?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind reading more about Andrew Hill (big surprise there ^_^ ). Maybe a full-length bio really isn't realistic (and perhaps not even reasonable). But I could really go for an in-depth chapter-length kinda thing -- maybe 20 or 25 pages in length.

Larry Young's another one I could stand a good chapter-length write-up about.

Maybe Joe Henderson?? (Again, probably chapter-length.)

I wouldn't mind reading more about Andrew Hill (big surprise there ^_^ ). Maybe a full-length bio really isn't realistic (and perhaps not even reasonable). But I could really go for an in-depth chapter-length kinda thing -- maybe 20 or 25 pages in length.

Larry Young's another one I could stand a good chapter-length write-up about.

Maybe Joe Henderson?? (Again, probably chapter-length.)

What? No Osby? No Moran? :o

I'd dearly like a book on the development of jazz in Italy. Not one of those heavy socio-cultural academic things; just a narrative of how it started, who the main musicians were over the years, where it seems to be today. It's quite hard piecing this together from the IJM site, CD sleeves, the occasional English language article.

I'm sure this exists in Italy...well, Italian jazz is fascinating enough to deserve an English language book.

In fact, thinking about it, there's room for a few books on jazz in individual European countries.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

All the suggestions so far are good, I think. But the most necessary, most realistic in publishing terms, and most needed would be:

1: Art Blakey

2: European Jazz History (Large tome with chapters by country?)

3: Lennie Tristano (perhaps, a la Mosaic, incorporating Konitz and Marsh as well.)

4: ANDREW HILL (The one I would most like to read.)

And what about Herbie Nichols? (Though there is the Spellman book and Rudd's amazing Mosaic booklet.)

And isn't Peter Keepnews supposed to have been working on a definitive Monk bio, for how many years? Haven't read any of the available Monk books, but none of them seem any where near definitive. Any opinions?

It just struck me that regional histories are needed as well.

I believe thet there are several academic studies of various American regional jazz scenes, but as a denizen of Boston I am unaware of any extended treatment of the jazz scene here.

Off the top of my head, there are numerous Boston or Massachusetts area musicians who made indelible contributions to jazz: Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Chick Corea, Bobby Hackett, Ruby Braff, Ralph Burns, Serge Chaloff, Dick Twardzik(?), Tony Williams...

I know I'm forgetting many others.

• 2 weeks later...

In that vein, there could and should be a book on Indianapolis jazz musicians, and another on the Detroit scene.

(BTW, the fact that two of the most pre-eminent baritone sax players---Carney and Chaloff---came from Boston has long fascinated me. What does it say about the Hub, I wonder? Probably signifies nothing. Just one of those things that your mind can't help thinking about, like a tongue exploring a missing tooth.)

It just struck me that regional histories are needed as well.

I believe thet there are several academic studies of various American regional jazz scenes, but as a denizen of Boston I am unaware of any extended treatment of the jazz scene here.

Off the top of my head, there are numerous Boston or Massachusetts area musicians who made indelible contributions to jazz: Johnny Hodges, Harry Carney, Chick Corea, Bobby Hackett, Ruby Braff, Ralph Burns, Serge Chaloff, Dick Twardzik(?), Tony Williams...

I know I'm forgetting many others.

...and Roy Haynes, Steve Kuhn, Gary Burton, Jaki Byard, Charlie Mariano, Alan Dawson, and the dean of the Boston jazz scene (because he stayed with it), Herb Pomeroy.

And slightly outside of Boston, Boots Mussulli, Frankie Capp, Don Fagerquist, Don Asher, Barbara Carroll...

Edited by JPF