Billy Bang - Vietnam : Reflections

White Lightning

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 question for those of you who listened to the album:

1. From the lineup it seems that this album is a more "Jazz meets Vietnamese music" than Aftermath. Is that so?

2. Does Bang continues his journey into from Free Jazz towards mainstream Jazz in this album as well?

Edited by White Lightning

• 1 year later...

I bought reflections a few months ago and I never regretted it. Both of Billy Bang's Vietnam CDs are getting quite a lot of spin time here.

"Reflections" is very much in "the aftermath" vein: The music is leans towards mainstream and the Jazz is flavored by some very tasty "oriental" tunes. Don't expect anything out as you get from earlier Bang sessions. "Reflections" also has some pure, non-Jazz Vietnamese tracks that I must say I rather like. I feel it was a good decision to add these tracks to the mix.

I'm a tremendous fan of this album--excellent compositions, fine improvising (by a cast of musicians too seldom heard from--some great stuff by the entire lot, including James Spaulding and the late Mr. John Hicks), and a tremendous sense of weight. Essentially all of Billy's discography is worth checking out; this material is of a high level (and has a lot of programmatic value), but I think some of his other work (particularly Sweet Space, recently reissued in a twofer and boasting killer personnel) is just as good--maybe even more enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...