Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

His website doesn't exactly invite orders (pay now, get your CD in 4-6 weeks, $23 plus $7 shipping for what I presume is a CDR).

I have just about all the officially released recordings anyway, but I am curious about this one:

Power Tools Live at the Knitting Factory, 1987

Ronald Shannon Jackson, drums/voice

Melvin Gibbs, electric bass

Pete Cosey, electric guitar

• 3 weeks later...

Got too wrapped up in too many things over the last few weeks,,,called this morning for tickets,,,sold out as of last night. Shuchks.

It's cool, I've seen Palmieri before, but he's traveling with a quartet that includes Bryna Lynch & Daphnis Prieto. I really, really wanted to catch Prieto.

Oh well... some other time, perhaps.

Just a note to let anyone who might be interested know that my quintet will be playing in Dallas this coming Sunday, April 29th from 2-5 @ Free Man Cajun Cafe.

Good food nice hang. Lots of originals and lots of fun.

The quintet has been renamed:

Greg Waits' Jazz Refugees

In my group are some old friends, some of my favorite players:

Greg Waits - trombone

Jim Sangrey - tenor sax

Terry Hankins - guitar

Mark Wilson - bass

Garry Granger - drums

Two out of 5 are members of this very forum! Come out and support live music if you're in the area.

Free Man is located at 2626 Commerce St, Dallas TX., just east of downtown at the shallow end of Deep Ellum. Adequate parking.

No cover. We derive a modicum of payment from a percentage of the bar sales plus the tip jar. Hey, who is in this for the $ anyway?

We hope to see you there. Come out and see the Lacy LP I sold to Jim!

Edited by slide_advantage_redoux

I can't make it Sunday, but I do eat lunch sometimes at Free Man; the food is excellent.

We will be playing there once a month for awhile. We are booked through June at least. Those performances will be on Sunday nights from 7-9:30p.

MAY20

jUNE17

I will repost when the dates approach. Thanks!

I too dilly dallied and did not buy a ticket. Oh well.

Was quite an enjoyable performance... nice band, sound was a bit rough, a little bit too much grand-standing for my tastes (I liked trumpeter Mike Rodriguez's relative restraint; the rest of the audience, less so), but, what a killer rhythm section! SOme pretty entertaining dancing in the aisles.

I can't make it this Sunday, but hopefully I can convince Mrs. Big Al to come out for one of the May or June dates. :)

Hey Al, how's the turntable hanging?

Still spinning like a champ! Goodness, how long ago was that? Honestly, this is the best record player I've ever owned!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...