Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

Nov 2 Sitar & Santoor Jugalbandi - Sanskriti Wahane (Sitar),    
    Prakrati Wahane (Santoor) & Mukta Raste (Tabla)    
  Date:   Saturday, November 2, 2019    
  Venue:  Allen Library Civic Auditorium    
  Time:   4.00 PM to 7.00 PM

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ENJOY FREE DA CAMERA PERFORMANCES –> Cullen Theater, Wortham Theater Center

FREE ON SUNDAY, AUGUST 25. 12 PM – 5 PM.

4:00 PM
All-star trio led by Houston native, HSPVA grad Walter Smith III, saxophone, with fellow Houston native Kendrick Scott, drums; and renowned bass player Larry Grenadier. Smith is widely recognized as an adept performer, accomplished composer, and inspired educator. He released his 5th album as a leader, Twioin 2018 with his longtime trio of Harish Raghavan and Eric Harland including guest appearances by Christian McBride and Joshua Redman. The prestigious Berklee College of Music recently named Walter Smith III as chair of the Woodwind Department. In Houston, Smith is joined by bass player Larry Grenadier, best known as a member of the Brad Mehldau Trio, and fellow Houston native and HSPVA grad, drummer Kendrick Scott.

Edited by kh1958

FRED HERSCH TRIO

fredhersch.jpg

Friday, April 3, 2020, 8:00 p.m. 
Venue: Arts and Technology Lecture Hall 
Admission: $20 
Season: 2019-20

Pianist and composer Hersch performs with bassist John Hebert and drummer Eric McPherson. The Trio garnered Grammy nominations for its most recent albums Sunday Night at the Vanguard and Floating.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Who's driving the UTD bookings?

I believe it is the Dean of the Arts School there; he is usually in attendance at the jazz concerts and appears to be a real fan, albeit with pretty conservative tastes.

They also have an interesting program of classical concerts, and tickets are pretty cheap for a "senior citizen" which sadly they define as anyone age 55 or over. 

Edited by kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

Time for my annual trip to the United States.  Historically - 33 years - it's been to the United Nations headquarters "near" New York City.  So why am I posting here?  This year, I'm going to...Richardson, TX (and later to Cincinnati).  It's going to be a great change from Manhattan.  Ahem.   I won't have a car, though I'm near a light rail stop at Galatyn Park Station, and I will be loading the Lyft app to my mobile.  The other little bummer is that I'm working Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Any suggestions for my annual chance to, like, hear live jazz? 

I poked around and found this place: https://www.sohofooddrinksandjazz.com/music-calendar  ("Ron Jones brings you classic solo saxophone all night".   Somehow, I'm not picturing five hours of "For Alto".)

This place http://www.balconyclub.com/ seems to be dark during my days.

This place https://kitchencafedallas.com/ looks nice, as a place, though I can't say the music offered during my days (pop vocals?) appeals much.  And Dallas is pretty far.  So, hey, if I'm SOL, I can live with that, but any suggestions appreciated.  September 22nd - October 3rd (again, minus Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights).  Thanks.

The Balcony Club  has Jonathan Fisher with guest Shelley Carrol on Sunday nights. I would say that is your best jazz selection in your time frame.

The Kitchen Cafe is a very pleasant listening room. Good sound. The food is pretty good. I like the place. It is very vocals oriented--sometimes jazz and sometimes pop oriented. I'm not familiar with any of the artists currently scheduled there for the dates you mention. I've seen some good stuff there--Marvin Stamm, Pete Christlieb, Eddie Gomez Trio, Shelley Carrol, Quamon Fowler. But nothing like that is currently scheduled there.

The other live music venue I go to in North Dallas is Six Springs Tavern-a dive bar/concert venue in a run down strip mall. No jazz there but occasionally some pretty good Dallas blues. E.J. Matthews is there September 27.  

Edited by kh1958

Thanks for the tips.  Is the Jonathan Fisher with guest Shelley Carrol  a standing/regular Sunday gig?  I ask just because the calendar for the Balcony Club ends September 19th, then picks up again mid-October.  Maybe those are just the non-"standing" shows.  Maybe in a couple of days, all will be revealed.  Again, thanks.

October 19, 2019: Jenny Scheinman and Allison Miller, Duet, Tulsa

Rachella Parks Washington, Scat Jazz, Fort Worth

October 26, 2019: Jackie Venson, Big Al's Down the Hatch, Waxahatchie

November 2, 2019: Dr. L Subramaniam, Westlake Community Performing Arts Center, Austin

James Carter, James Francies, Wortham, Houston

Anjan Saha  (Sitar}, Pt Arup Chattopadhyay (Tabla), Allen Public Library

November 8, 2019: Mr. Sipp, Guitar Sanctuary, McKinney

November 10, 2019: Sean Jones, McKinney Performing Arts Center

November 15, 2019: Miguel Zenon, Duet, Tulsa

Jason Marsalis, Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

November 22, 2019: Kara Grainger, Six Springs, Richardson

November 26, 2019: Gary Smulyan/One O'Clock Lab Band, Winspear, Denton

December 14, 2019: Mike Stern/Jeff Lorber Fusion, Dosey Doe, Houston

December 15, 2019: Mike Stern/Jeff Lorber Fusion, One World Theater, Austin

January 10, 2020: Stanley Clarke, One World Theater, Austin

January 17, 2020: Andrew Cyrille Quartet, McCullogh Theatre, Austin

January 17-18, 2020, Winter Jazzfest Marathon, New York

January 25, 2020: Branford Marsalis, Wortham, Houston

January 29, 2020: Hiromi, Arlington Music Hall, Arlington

January 31, 2020: Hiromi, Dosey Doe, Houston

January 31, 2020: Fred Hersch Trio, Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

February 15, 2020: Joey DeFrancesco, Arlington Music Hall

February 29, 2020: Vijay Iyer Sextet, Wortham, Houston

March 4, 2020: Lila Downs, Paramount Theater, Austin

March 6, 2020: Lila Downs, Jones Center, Houston

Marc Ribot, Chaplin's The Kid, McCullough Theatre, Austin

March 7, 2020: Lila Downs, Winspear Opera House, Dallas

March 14, 2020: Vijay Iyer and Jennifer Koh, Fort Worth Museum of Modern Art

March 20, 2020: Messenger Legacy Band (Bobby Watson (alto sax), Essiet Essiet (bass), Geoff Keezer (piano), Brian Lynch (trumpet), Bill Pierce (tenor sax) and Ralph Peterson (drums)), Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

March 21, 2020: Dafnis Prieto Big Band, Wortham, Houston

March 26-29, 2020, Big Ears Festival, Andrew Cyrille, Anthony Braxton, Aurora Nealand, Christian Scott, Harriet Tubman, Jason Moran and the Harlem Hellfighters, Marc Ribot,, Mdou Moctar, Moonlight Benjamin, Myra Melford, Peter Brotzmann, Shabaka and the Ancestors, Steve Coleman and Five Elements, The Necks, Knoxville, Tennessee

April 3, 2020: Fred Hersch Trio, University of Texas at Dallas

April 17, 2020: Miquel Zenon, Wortham, Houston

April 18, 2020: Dave Douglas with the Texas Jazz Orchestra, Bates Recital Hall, Austin

April 23-26, 2020: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 30-May 3, 2020: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

May 2, 2020: Christian Sands, Carver Center, San Antonio

May 16, 2020: Brubeck Brothers, Wortham, Houston

May 17, 2020: Brubeck Brothers, One Worlth Theater, Austin

August 28, 2020: Stanley Jordan Trio, Arlington Music Hall

Edited by kh1958

Hindustani Sitar Recital – Meditative Strings
Saturday, November 02, 2019
4:00:00 PM
Venue: Allen Library Civic Auditorium, 300 N. Allen Drive, Allen TX 75013

Admission:
ICMC Members: Free
General: $30
Student: $20
Anjan Saha   Sitar
Pt Arup Chattopadhyay   Tabla

AnjanSaha.jpgArupChattopadhyay.jpg

An empaneled artist of Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR), Anjan Saha has learnt sitar under the yet caring apprenticeship of Pt Debiprosad Chatterjee since his childhood. He is a graded artist of Prasar Bharati. Anjan has been awarded with the National Scholarship from Dept of Culture, Government of India in the year 1992. He has achieved the rare feat of obtaining National Scholarship for the second time from Department of Culture, Government of India in 1998. Anjan has been performing extensively in India and abroad since 1998. He has given a number of performances in different cities in Germany, France, Slovenia, Croatia, Belgium, Montenegro, Kuwait, Qatar, East Asia and United States of America. Besides his performances Anjan's Music compositions in different genre has got a great applause from the audience. Anjan has been teaching in Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata since 2004.

Pt. Arup Chattopadhyay is recognized as one of the most outstanding and sought after Tabla artists of this generation. He has established himself as a top-notch accompanist as well as a formidable soloist. Arup's performances are admired for their exceptional tonal quality, clarity and deep compositional repertoire, all presented with an innate sense of rhythm and melody. Arup began learning Tabla at age six from his father, the eminent Tabla player, Pt. Pankaj Chattopadhyay. He then came under the tutelage of the world-renowned Tabla maestro Pt. Shankar Ghosh and is one of his premier disciples. He was awarded Top-Grade by All India Radio and Television. Arup has accompanied many of the leading musicians of India such as Pt. Ravi Shankar, Ustad Rais Khan, Ustad Aashish Khan, Ustad Shahid Parvez, Pt. Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Pt. Nayan Ghosh, Pt. Ajay Chakarbarti, Lakhsmi Shankar, Pt. Rajan and Sajan Mishra, Ustad Rashid Khan, the late V.G. Jog, Pt. Tejendra Narayan Majumdar, Pt. Kushal Das, among others. Since 1998, Arup has been honored to accompany the legend Bharat Ratna Pt. Ravi Shankar in tours throughout the US, Canada, Europe, and India, Including performances in Carnegie Hall, Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, in US, and Barbican hall in London. Arup is also a highly sought after teacher and since 1999 has been a visiting lecturer with University of California, San Diego; and previously a professor of Tabla at Baratiya Vidya Bhavan in London (Institute of Indian Culture).

• 3 weeks later...

Upcoming at the Arlington Music Hall:

HIROMI

Hiromi-680x400.jpg
Map Unavailable

Date/Time
Date(s) - Wednesday, 01/29/2020
8:00 pm - 10:00 pm

BUY TICKETS

Hiromi is a jazz composer and pianist born in Hamamatsu, Japan. She is known for her virtuosic technique, energetic live performances and blend of musical genres such as stride, post-bop, progressive rock, classical and fusion in her compositions.

JOEY DEFRANCESCO

joey_defrancesco2-680x400.jpg
Map Unavailable

Date/Time
Date(s) - Saturday, 02/15/2020

STANLEY JORDAN TRIO

Stanley-Jordan.jpg
Map Unavailable

Date/Time
Date(s) - Friday, 08/28/2020

BUY TICKETS

In a career that took flight in 1985 with commercial and critical acclaim, guitar virtuoso Stanley Jordan has consistently displayed a chameleonic musical persona of openness, imagination, versatility and maverick daring. Be it bold reinventions of classical masterpieces or soulful explorations through pop-rock hits, to blazing straight ahead jazz forays and ultramodern improvisational works—solo or with a group—Jordan can always be counted on to take listeners on breathless journeys into the unexpected.

Tammy Melody Gomez's photo.

OCT19

Jazz Bicycle Tour - JBT - 2019

Public
· Hosted by Tammy Melody Gomez and Laney Yarber

•  
    clock

Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 3:00 PM – 7:30 PM CDT
    2 days from now
  •  
    pin

Details

The Jazz Bicycle Tour aka JBT is the placekeeping project co-directed by Tammy Gomez--avid bicyclist and founder of Sound Culture--and Laney Yarber--jazz aficionado and founder of Pedestrian Dance.

The Jazz Bicycle Tour is a community bicycle ride through the Historic Southside and downtown Fort Worth, stopping briefly at locations along the way that hold jazz history and lore.

The JBT will kick off at the Ella Mae Shamblee Public Library, where a first-time exhibit of jazz drummer Ronald Shannon Jackson artifacts and memorabilia will be unveiled. Another highlight will be a live musical performance by music curator and jazz heritage musician Rachella Parks-Washington—at the Scat Jazz Lounge in downtown FW.

The JBT is on Saturday, October 19th—from 3-6pm. (It’s the same day as Arts Goggle, so plan your day of fun accordingly!)

This afternoon event will be family-friendly and open to both bicyclists and non-bicyclists. (People in cars can meet us at the Shamblee Public Library, the Scat Jazz Lounge, or at Record Town.)

Refreshment pit stops along the way!
A slow-rollin' pace, with no drops.
Recommended for ages 15 and up.
Pick up knowledge and a "passport stamp" at every stop!

Though there will be no admission fee to participate, $ donations will be gratefully accepted. For those who do not own a bicycle, the folks at Fort Worth Bike Sharing have kindly offered to check out bikes free of charge to JBT participants.

For more info:

Jazz Bicycle Tour - JBT - 2019

817-924-9188

HUGE THANKS to those who supported our project
with a donation to our Indiegogo campaign--which has
now ended.

Follow this link to view the site, in case you're interested.

https://igg.me/at/jazzbicycletour2019/x#/

THANK YOU!

Please spread the word & hope to see you on the
Jazz Bicycle Tour - JBT 2019!

[NOTE: The schedule below only lists some of the stops on our Jazz Bicycle Tour mapped route. There are at least 3 more stops!]
See More
Schedule · Saturday, October 19, 2019

3:00 PM
3:00pm - meet at the Shamblee Public Library for exhibit opening & for bike checkouts; 3:30pm roll out on bicycle tour.

4:00 PM
4pm - arrive at I.M. Terrell Academy for history presentation

5:15 PM
5:15pm - arrive at Scat Jazz Lounge for one-hour Rachella Parks-Washington concert program. bar service available.

6:30 PM
6:30pm-ish - arrive at Record Town for free Collective Brewing Project craft beer & swag bags

October 26, 2019: Jackie Venson, Big Al's Down the Hatch, Waxahatchie

October 28, 2019: Tyshawn Sorey, UNT Lyceum, Denton

November 2, 2019: Dr. L Subramaniam, Westlake Community Performing Arts Center, Austin

James Carter, James Francies, Wortham, Houston

Anjan Saha  (Sitar}, Pt Arup Chattopadhyay (Tabla), Allen Public Library

Bnois King, Larry Lampkin, E.J. Matthews, Sons of Hermann Hall, Dallas

November 8, 2019: Mr. Sipp, Guitar Sanctuary, McKinney

November 10, 2019: Sean Jones, McKinney Performing Arts Center

November 15, 2019: Miguel Zenon, Duet, Tulsa

Jason Marsalis, Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

November 22, 2019: Kara Grainger, Six Springs, Richardson

November 26, 2019: Gary Smulyan/One O'Clock Lab Band, Winspear, Denton

December 14, 2019: Mike Stern/Jeff Lorber Fusion, Dosey Doe, Houston

December 15, 2019: Mike Stern/Jeff Lorber Fusion, One World Theater, Austin

January 10, 2020: Stanley Clarke, One World Theater, Austin

January 17, 2020: Andrew Cyrille Quartet, McCullogh Theatre, Austin

James Weidman, Cezanne, Houston

January 18, 2020: James Weidman, Cezanne, Houston

January 25, 2020: Branford Marsalis, Wortham, Houston

January 29, 2020: Hiromi, Arlington Music Hall, Arlington

January 31, 2020: Hiromi, Dosey Doe, Houston

Fred Hersch Trio, Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

February 15, 2020: Joey DeFrancesco, Arlington Music Hall

February 29, 2020: Vijay Iyer Sextet, Wortham, Houston

March 4, 2020: Lila Downs, Paramount Theater, Austin

March 6, 2020: Lila Downs, Jones Center, Houston

Marc Ribot, Chaplin's The Kid, McCullough Theatre, Austin

March 7, 2020: Lila Downs, Winspear Opera House, Dallas

March 20, 2020: Messenger Legacy Band (Bobby Watson (alto sax), Essiet Essiet (bass), Geoff Keezer (piano), Brian Lynch (trumpet), Bill Pierce (tenor sax) and Ralph Peterson (drums)), Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas

March 21, 2020: Dafnis Prieto Big Band, Wortham, Houston

March 26-29, 2020, Big Ears Festival, Andrew Cyrille, Anthony Braxton, Aurora Nealand, Christian Scott, Harriet Tubman, Jason Moran and the Harlem Hellfighters, Marc Ribot,, Mdou Moctar, Moonlight Benjamin, Myra Melford, Peter Brotzmann, Shabaka and the Ancestors, Steve Coleman and Five Elements, The Necks, Knoxville, Tennessee

April 3, 2020: Fred Hersch Trio, University of Texas at Dallas

April 17, 2020: Miquel Zenon, Wortham, Houston

April 18, 2020: Dave Douglas with the Texas Jazz Orchestra, Bates Recital Hall, Austin

April 23-26, 2020: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

April 30-May 3, 2020: New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival

May 2, 2020: Christian Sands, Carver Center, San Antonio

May 16, 2020: Brubeck Brothers, Wortham, Houston

May 17, 2020: Brubeck Brothers, One World Theater, Austin

August 28, 2020: Stanley Jordan Trio, Arlington Music Hall

Edited by kh1958

UNT Fine Arts Series's photo.

OCT28

Tyshawn Sorey Quintet

Public
 · Hosted by UNT Fine Arts Serie

•  
    clock

Tyshawn Sorey Quintet

Monday, October 28, 2019 at 7:30 PM – 9 PM

•  
    pin

UNT Lyceum
    Denton, Texas 76201

Tickets available at UNTuniontickets.com --- available September 26
    Free for UNT Students; $5 UNT student guest ticket (limit 1)
    $5 for UNT Staff / Faculty /Alumni
    $10 for General Public"

The UNT Fine Arts Series presents Multi-instrumentalist and composer Tyshawn Sorey who is celebrated for his incomparable virtuosity, effortless mastery and memorization of highly complex scores, and an extraordinary ability to blend composition and improvisation in his work. The New York Times has praised Sorey for his instrumental facility and aplomb, “he plays not only with gale-force physicality, but also a sense of scale and equipoise”; The Wall Street Journal notes Sorey is, “a composer of radical and seemingly boundless ideas.” The New Yorker recently noted that Sorey is “among the most formidable denizens of the in-between zone…An extraordinary talent who can see across the entire musical landscape.”

Sorey has released seven critically acclaimed recordings that feature his work as a composer, multi-instrumentalist, and conceptualist. His latest, Pillars (Firehouse 12 Records, 2018), has been praised by Rolling Stone as “an immersive soundworld… sprawling, mysterious… thrilling” and has been named as one of BBC Radio 3’s Late Junction 2018 albums of the year.

He will be accompanied by Sasha Berliner (Vibes), Morgan Guerin (Saxophone, EWI), Lex Korten (Piano), & Nick Dunston (Bass).
Edited by kh1958

Interesting...this is the same space in which Sam Rivers played. correct?

Gonna try to make this one, Sorey's music is slowly but surely working its way on me. Hearing it live should be a treat.

although, Sorey's latest is his excellent duet album w/Marilyn Crispell...he should update his press kit!

adornmentoftime.jpg

I don't know; I'm not familiar with this performance space.

I've seen him a few times as a sideman--with Vijay Iyer, with Roscoe Mitchell and with George Lewis. Excellent percussionist.

I would like to attend, but Monday in Denton at 7:30 might be tough.

Edited by kh1958

Yeah, day/time/travel...not necessarily the friendliest combination.

The Lyceum used to be a nice, small auditorium in the Student Union building. Besides, Sam Rivers, that's also where the AEC played. But I have no idea what's what there now, there's been a lot of remodeling/etc. The last two times I went to Denton for a concert, they were in some standalone concert hall building (is it called Meyerson?), and the time before that, somewhere in Lab Band Hall, I think.

Not surprisingly, this concert is NOT being sponsored by anything related to the Lab Band or School Of Music (neither was the AEC gig, that was sponsored by the Black Student Union). It's part of the UNT Fine Arts series, and it looks like they are presenting quite the array of contemporary performers/presenters: https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/fine-arts-series

Winspear  (same name as the Dallas Arts District Opera House) is the standalone concert hall at UNT, just off I-35, that I've been to a couple of times.

The One O'clock Lab Band is not my cup of tea. Honestly, I can't stand the band.

I didn't see (or know about that I recall) Sam Rivers or the AEC playing in Denton. More missed opportunities and regrets!

But I did see the AEC at the Caravan of Dreams; plus the Sam Rivers Trio at Sweet Basil, and Sam Rivers a couple of times with Dizzy, so I'm going to be okay.

Edited by kh1958

51 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Winspear  (same name as the Dallas Arts District Opera House) is the standalone concert hall at UNT, just off I-35, that I've been to a couple of times.

The One O'clock Lab Band is not my cup of tea. Honestly, I can't stand the band.

Winspear, year, that's the name. A little further north and you can hit Winstar!

The only reason I've been to hear the 1:00 play is because of guests (Billy Harper + The Cookers, which was excellent, and then Jimmy Heath, which was kinda sad). The there was the afternoon concert where Ryan Truesdell was the guest and they just played Gil Evans charts. That's one thing that band can do well, play charts. And those charts are worth hearing live, no matter who plays them. Plus they had a tuba player recruited just for that gig who was outstanding. He made me think of Harry Carney, actually, so anchoring was he.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, day/time/travel...not necessarily the friendliest combination.

The Lyceum used to be a nice, small auditorium in the Student Union building. Besides, Sam Rivers, that's also where the AEC played. But I have no idea what's what there now, there's been a lot of remodeling/etc. The last two times I went to Denton for a concert, they were in some standalone concert hall building (is it called Meyerson?), and the time before that, somewhere in Lab Band Hall, I think.

Not surprisingly, this concert is NOT being sponsored by anything related to the Lab Band or School Of Music (neither was the AEC gig, that was sponsored by the Black Student Union). It's part of the UNT Fine Arts series, and it looks like they are presenting quite the array of contemporary performers/presenters: https://studentaffairs.unt.edu/fine-arts-series

I would STRONGLY recommend you go - especially if you’ve not seen Tyshawn live. Word is that the quintet is playing more burning jazz based stuff than one might hear from the Pillars group or his small groups with Cory Smythe. When the man is focused on drums in a jazz based or freeish ensemble he is just about the most powerful drummer on the planet today. This is coming from someone who sees dudes like Ches Smith (last night), Randy Peterson (2 weeks ago), Nasheet Waits (too long now), Gerald Cleaver, etc. Tyshawn Sorey might be the most unique and explosively innovative of all of them. 

Well he isn’t Randy Peterson but nobody is:)