Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

Lakewood B&G Dallas gets one more chance.

JUNE 7th, tuesday night / 8 pm - 12 depending upon turnout

My Quintet:

Greg Waits - trb/guitar

Jim Sangrey (yeah, that Sangrey)

Michael Palma - piano

Lyles West - bass

Andrew Griffith - drums

$5 cover ;/ GREAT grill and decent beer selection. Friendly barkeeps.

Come on by, listen, hang out and visit.

http://www.lbgdallas.com/location.htm

www.gregwaitsmusic.com

on youtube "greg waits quintet"

I'm seeing this two months late and I wouldn't have made it to Dallas from New York, but how did the gig go?

I'm enjoying the youtube clips right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Upcoming in Austin...

Wednesday, August 24 at 7:00pm - August 25 at 12:00am

Carousel Lounge

Friends of Epistrophy Arts

More Info

From Norway

Frode Gjerstad, alto sax, clarinets

Jon Rune Strom, bass

Paal Nilssen Love, drums

Drawing heavily upon the energy of the free-jazz continuum as defined by Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus and John Coltrane, alto saxophonist Frode Gjerstad is a pioneer of Norwegian improvised music. His various ensembles have served as a training ground for the current (and most vital) generation of Norwegian experimental musicians. Gjerstad first came to prominence with British percussionist John Stevens' group in the 1980s, and later played in a trio with William Parker and Hamid Drake. His career has spanned over 30 years and has included collaborations with many of the leading lights of improvised and experimental music including Peter Brötzmann, Han Bennink, Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, Louis Moholo-Moholo, and noise musician Lasse Marhaug.

Powerhouse drummer Paal Nilssen-Love is no stranger to adventurous Austin music audiences. He has taken part in some of EpistrophyArts' most noted presentations including sold out performances by The Thing, The Peter Brotzmann Tentet, and Atomic. Nilssen-Love has established himself as a powerful and dynamic musician through his wide ranging collaborations with leading improvisors Ken Vandermark, Mats Gustafsson, Peter Brötzmann, Joe McPhee and left-field rock artists like Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke,the Ex’s Andy and Terrie, and Fugazi's Guy Picciotto.

Upcoming in Austin...

Wednesday, August 24 at 7:00pm - August 25 at 12:00am

Carousel Lounge

Friends of Epistrophy Arts

More Info

From Norway

Frode Gjerstad, alto sax, clarinets

Jon Rune Strom, bass

Paal Nilssen Love, drums

Drawing heavily upon the energy of the free-jazz continuum as defined by Ornette Coleman, Charles Mingus and John Coltrane, alto saxophonist Frode Gjerstad is a pioneer of Norwegian improvised music. His various ensembles have served as a training ground for the current (and most vital) generation of Norwegian experimental musicians. Gjerstad first came to prominence with British percussionist John Stevens' group in the 1980s, and later played in a trio with William Parker and Hamid Drake. His career has spanned over 30 years and has included collaborations with many of the leading lights of improvised and experimental music including Peter Brötzmann, Han Bennink, Evan Parker, Derek Bailey, Louis Moholo-Moholo, and noise musician Lasse Marhaug.

Powerhouse drummer Paal Nilssen-Love is no stranger to adventurous Austin music audiences. He has taken part in some of EpistrophyArts' most noted presentations including sold out performances by The Thing, The Peter Brotzmann Tentet, and Atomic. Nilssen-Love has established himself as a powerful and dynamic musician through his wide ranging collaborations with leading improvisors Ken Vandermark, Mats Gustafsson, Peter Brötzmann, Joe McPhee and left-field rock artists like Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke,the Ex's Andy and Terrie, and Fugazi's Guy Picciotto.

That should be a good show. I saw Frode with PNL in DC last year. Can't recall who the bass player was, maybe Vatel Cherry on a pick-up basis. Frode is one of those guys that I credit with "musical intelligence" (one of my highest compliments). The improvisation is smart and challenging. PNL is a terrific drummer. Last I heard, Frode had had some visa problems with DHS, apparently sorted out now.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No information is provided as to the group or nature of the performance (with the Dallas Symphony?).

At the Meyerson Symphony Hall:

October 31

An Evening with Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock is a true icon of modern music. Throughout his artistic explorations, he has transcended limitations and genres while maintaining his unmistakable voice. In addition to being recognized as a legendary pianist and composer, his illustrious career includes an Academy Award for his Round Midnight film score and 14 Grammy Awards, including 2008's Album of the Year.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

sorry if the details of the concerts are not available on the Facebook links.

go to namelesssound.org for info about crispell/grimes

and go here for Berne/Snakeoil

thanks

for the Crispell/Grimes concert...

http://namelesssound.org/

i want to give a quick thanks to the members of this community for keeping this thread going and for helping to spread the word about concerts in the region. Speaking for Epistrophy Arts in Austin and for Nameless Sound in Houston, we appreciate your advocacy for authentic jazz and improvised music. We want to help build a viable touring network for this music and your help is essential. I hope you can make it down to Austin or Houston for the concerts and that you can tell your friends. I will post about upcoming stuff soon.... (John Butcher, Thomas Lehn, Gino Robair Trio) and The Thing with Joe McPhee!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...