Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Etc. Jazz & Other Concerts

This from the Arts Fifth Avenue Website:

TEXAS TENOR SAX LEGACY : A Special 2-Night Event Exploring Texas' Jazz History & Tenor Sax Artists - Marchel Ivery & Mac Goldsbury

Fri & Sat/Oct 14 & 15 - 8 pm - $15 per person per night or a 2-Night ticket for $20 per person, Students - $10 with Student ID

Friday: Mack Goldsbury with Joey Carter-piano, Drew Phelps-bass, Duane Durrett-drums

Saturday: Mack Goldsbury & Marchel Ivery, Johnny Case-piano, Drew Phelps-bass, Duane Durret-drums

October 12--Al Dimeola--Granada Theater.

Thursdays in October--Marchel Ivery from 6-9 at the Stoneleigh Hotel, Maple Street Terrace.

October 14--Texas Tenors, with Marchel Ivery and Mac Goldsbury--Arts Fifth Avenue, Fort Worth.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and is that Mori/Parkins & Jordan/Fielder/Parker thing coming to Austin?

Unfortunately, Jordan/Fielder/Parker are not playing in Austin. It is a Houston exclusive. However, The Thing with Joe McPhee are playing both Houston and Austin. Austin on the 17th of November and Houston on the 18th.

http://www.epistrophyarts.org

• 1 month later...

This concert was advertised again, so I assume that Mr. Newman has recovered and will appear at UTD on January 14, 2006.

This concert has been postponed until January 14. I was told that Mr. Newman has broken his hip. Let's hope he recovers quickly.

David Fathead Newman:

October 7 at the Univerity of Texas at Dallas Conference Center in Richardson.

8 p.m.

$20

972-883-2787

• 5 weeks later...

Sammons Center for the Arts

WEDNESDAY, MAY 3, 2006 - 7:00 TO 10:00 P.M.

“Annual Artistic Director’s Concert – A Tribute to Ray Charles”

Featured Group:

Leroy “Hog” Cooper – a key member of the Ray Charles Orchestra for twenty years heads up a group of musicians in this tribute to the great Ray Charles. Mr. Cooper will demonstrate his superb mastery of the saxophone and will be joined by other former members of the Ray Charles Orchestra including John Bryant on drums and Jack Evans on trumpet. They will be joined by James Gilyard on bass and Arlington Jones on piano.

The Bill Mays Trio

University of Texas at Dallas

Date: Saturday, April 1

Time: 8:00 p.m.

Venue: Conference Center

The Bill Mays Trio will perform April 1. Born into a musical family and beginning at the piano at age five, Bill Mays had his first exposure to jazz as a teenager—a solo concert by Earl "Fatha" Hines. Later, discovering the music of Bill Evans, Art Tatum, Horace Silver and Jimmy Rowles, he found himself "hooked" and embarked on his professional career. Since then, Bill has been the musical director for Sarah Vaughan, accompanied singers Frank Sinatra, Al Jarreau, Mark Murphy and Helen Merrill. Before moving to New York in the mid-80s, he spent 12 years as a session player in Hollywood making many albums and recording hundreds of TV and movie scores. The Bill Mays Trio includes Matt Wilson on drums and Martin Wind on bass.

• 2 weeks later...

up....

In addition to the Dave Douglas show in Austin, board member Free For All is playing in San Marcos this Saturday, Feb 11th. I'd love to get up to San Marcos (lived there for a year and a half, beautiful town) for this performance, but unfortunately won't be able to make it.

Jazz Festival Concert

Featuring Texas State Ensemble with

Guest Artist Paul McKee, Trombone

6:30 p.m. * Evans Auditorium

Tickets: $10 general / $5 students

Call (512) 245-2651 for more information

• 4 months later...

I caught Bill Frisell last night, at the Continental Club in Austin. GREAT show, and apparently a warm-up gig for his Bonnaroo date on Saturday. The band is his "New Quartet", comprised of Greg Leisz on pedal steel, Kenny Wolleson on drums, and David Pilch on bass. With the pedal steel, you would expect the Americana stuff to be prominent, and you'd be right. But they really pushed themselves, and gave a fine performance. The opener was a 20+ minute version of "Surfer Girl" that didn't reveal itself until at least 15 minutes in (unless I just wasn't ready for that and didn't catch it). They got a standing ovation at the end of the set, and played another 15 minute or so encore.

I talked with them afterwards, and they seemed excited about the Bonnaroo thing. Kenny W. also told me there is a new Sex Mob CD coming out August 1st, and that it is "very different" and "very good". Looking forward to checking that out.

If I had known about this Frisell show in advance, I would have posted it here, in the hopes of meeting up with any other board members (Clifford/Soulstream/Lon etc).

Hey, glad you had fun. I wish I liked Bill Frisell. Try as I might I just don't enjoy his playing!

I wouldn't have been able to say "hi" anyway. . . I've been in Houston on and off since March and nonstop since May 1 and probably nonstop through the middle of August. :angry:

Oh, and some noteworthy upcoming things:

Don Byron - Oct 6 (w/Chris Thomas King, David Gilmore, George Colligan, Brad Jones, & Rodney Holmes)

McCoy Tyner Septet - Nov 18 (w/Dave Liebman, Nicholas Payton, Donald Harrison, Steve Turre, Eric Gravatt, and Charnett Moffett)

plus:

Soulive - July 8

The Church - July 28

Edited by Aggie87

The Byron & Tyner shows are both at the Univ. of TX Hogg Memorial Auditorium. Sorry for confusing that more than it needed to be.

And Soulive and The Church are both at La Zona Rosa.

This is what the One World Theatre looks like, though:

bartoncreek-oneworld_filler.jpgabout3.jpg

Edited by Aggie87

I caught Bill Frisell last night, at the Continental Club in Austin. GREAT show, and apparently a warm-up gig for his Bonnaroo date on Saturday. The band is his "New Quartet", comprised of Greg Leisz on pedal steel, Kenny Wolleson on drums, and David Pilch on bass. With the pedal steel, you would expect the Americana stuff to be prominent, and you'd be right. But they really pushed themselves, and gave a fine performance. The opener was a 20+ minute version of "Surfer Girl" that didn't reveal itself until at least 15 minutes in (unless I just wasn't ready for that and didn't catch it). They got a standing ovation at the end of the set, and played another 15 minute or so encore.

I talked with them afterwards, and they seemed excited about the Bonnaroo thing. Kenny W. also told me there is a new Sex Mob CD coming out August 1st, and that it is "very different" and "very good". Looking forward to checking that out.

If I had known about this Frisell show in advance, I would have posted it here, in the hopes of meeting up with any other board members (Clifford/Soulstream/Lon etc).

Hey, I was playing my organ trio gig upstairs next to the Continental Club at the Contental Gallery right after the Frissell show. I watched the majority of the his show and then went up and played my gig....should have come by Aggie. :D

The Dallas Jazz Orchestra is playing at the Dallas Museum of Art on thursday, June 29th from 6-8 pm (in the Atrium....free to all)

Whatta show it was, too! And what a treat it was to meet Greg! I'm gonna post more tomorrow cuz I'm pretty beat, but suffice to say it was a very nice show and I'm looking forward to attending more DJO concerts!

Addendum to the original post:

Any of y'all who've met Slide (aka Greg) will know what I mean when I say, what a great cat Greg is! And what a beautiful player, too! Actually, the whole band was nice (Shelly Carroll was there! SHELLY CARROLL!!!), and I told Greg how much I liked their version of David Zoller's "Harvey." What a sweet-sounding piece, the way the muted trumpets and the two flutes colored the alto sax solo made me feel like I'd met my wife for the first time again, that first flowering of love! So they played their first set, and I was reminded of Jack Tracy's liner noted to Terry Gibbs' Dream Band Volume 5, wherein he said something like "you haven't lived until you've put your head in the mouth of a lion of a big band roar" (reeeeeeeally paraphrasing here!). Well, I got my first taste of it that night! Then they took a quick break and I introduced myself to Greg, who in turn introduced me to his lovely (and funny!) wife. If Paul Desmond were a woman, she'd be Greg's wife! But he wasn't, and she isn't, and there you are. But she is still lovely, and I get the feeling she keeps Greg on his toes on cloud nine!

Then the second set started and they brought out a singer whose name escapes me, but he was introduced as a combination of Billy Eckstine and Joe Williams, and that wasn't far off. Clearly, this man enjoys singing, and that feeling was extremely contagious! And then during one song, Greg got to take a solo. I wish they could've moved the mike back to where he was, acoustics being somewhat challenged at this venue, but what I could hear was very lovely indeed!

A wonderful night indeed, but I'd like to see Greg in a small-group venue sometime! I bet it'd be as much fun as a Quartet Out gig (another thing I need to get my lazy cheap ass to sometime this summer).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not Austin (or Dallas for that matter!), but the Dave Holland Big Band will be playing in San Antonio, on September 16th.

I may try to make it up for this show, as it's on a Saturday night. It's at the city's annual "Jazz'SAlive" fest, at Travis Park.

Any board members planning to go to this, or interested?

Not Austin or Dallas, but in the neighborhood and worth the trip to San Antonio this weekend - Saturday, August 26th - The McCoy Tyner Septet - with Donald Harrison, Billy Harper!, Walace Roney, Steve Turre, Charnet Moffatt and Eric Gravatt - McCoy Tyner in San Antonio!

charles

Edited by charlesp